cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are community forum members able to delete own posts and comments?

I want to know if I can delete my old posts and comments. From a privacy standpoint I would rather not have every post or comment I have made in these forums visible and crawlable to search engines such as Google indefinitely into the future. Every other forum and social media platform that I have participated in allows users to delete their own contributions at will at any time. Why is this not possible for eBay community members? If it is possible, sorry I missed it.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Are community forum members able to delete own posts and comments?

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @zirkni

Users are not able to delete their posts. What we can do is close your Community account and anonymize your posts. If we do this, the process is not reversible, meaning you would lose all your Community platform posting history. 

Let me know if you want to proceed with closing your account and anonymizing your posts. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

alan@ebayHello Alan, Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Anonymizing my contributions in lieu of deletion is a reasonable solution. I just don't want somebody to potentially Google my eBay handle, which I may use for other personal or business purposes off eBay, and then use my posts here against me in an adverse way. In am a big proponent of online privacy in general. I am not ready to close my community account just yet but I will be sure to contact you / if / when I am in coming weeks. Thank you.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Understood. Let me know if and when you're ready, and we'll get it done for you. 

Thank you. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Your option was to use a posting ID in the forums as others do.

The downside of that is being called a troll, not being taken seriously ("your ID shows zero feedback and sales"), and it makes it much more difficult when asking for help that requires looking at your listings or sales history.

I chose to not use a posting ID long ago, and am aware that everything I say here is public record. (it's a good way to encourage thinking twice before posting something here - knowing it is forever)
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

alan@ebay

Hi alan...

A week or two ago I contacted you through this thread and asked you to close my Community Forums account, which was done. 

Can you please tell me why it was reactivated today? Without my consent?

Please close my Community Forums account and please do not reactivate it again.

Thank you -----unhappy   BUYER

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm looking into this for you. I'll get back to you when I know more. 

Thanks. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

alan@ebay wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, 

I'm looking into this for you. I'll get back to you when I know more. 

Thanks. 

Hi alan -

Still very much interested in closing my Community account and making posts anonymous....

Thank you -

alan@ebay

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Working on this as a priority. I'll get back to you soon, @Anonymous. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hello, can you let me know how to change to a posting ID?  Thans for any help:)

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You create a new eBay account and use that ID in the forums as a posting ID. (I think all creating a new account takes is a unique email address).

You have to be careful when using a posting ID as it only takes one lapse of vigilance to "out it" by mistakenly posting something with your seller ID that makes it obvious the two IDs are the same person (for example starting a thread with the posting ID, and then accidentally responding to subsequent posts with your seller ID - it becomes obvious to most that they are one in the same.) Remember, almost everything on the internet is forever.

That is only an issue if it is an issue for you (but then what is the point of the posting ID if not to hide from potential malicious posters?)
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Message 12 of 12
latest reply