cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

this is my first sale on Ebay and I'm being scammed and I don't know what to do

This is my very first sale on Ebay and my buyer wants me to ship item to another location along with $400 card etc.. I don't know how to handle this?  I'm unable to speak with someone at Ebay.  Please help.

Thanks. J

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: this is my first sale on Ebay and I'm being scammed and I don't know what to do

It is a scam.   Scammers don't pay so you need to cancel on the 5th day citing buyer didn't  pay and relist. This gives the scammer a strike and returns your fees.

You can't  cancel using problem with their address because you don't  get the shipping address until they pay. So that would be an incorrect reason. And it doesn't  give the scammer a strike which they need one if they're  trying to scam you.

Listing Buy now with immediate payment helps discourage scammers. So does building up feedback and gaining selling experience before listing expensive items or electronics.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: this is my first sale on Ebay and I'm being scammed and I don't know what to do

It is a SCAM. Stop texting or messaging with the scammer.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

SCAM!!  SCAM!! SCAM!!  Have no further communication with them.

More detailed info will be posted soon.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Only ship to the address eBay provides.   Never ship anywhere else.  Go to the cancel page and choose problem with buyers address, cancel the order, and block the buyer.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Cancel the sale using "problem with buyers address". Then report the buyer using the report buyer link. Add the buyer to your blocked bidder list. When you relist the item you should probably list it as a fixed price listing and "immediate payment required".

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@jufor1714 wrote:

This is my very first sale on Ebay and my buyer wants me to ship item to another location along with $400 card etc.. I don't know how to handle this?  I'm unable to speak with someone at Ebay.  Please help.

Thanks. J

it is a scam all right:

Hey its a gift and I a need you toos includes a gifst card seee... Send photo with back scratched of so I can steal your money see.. (Moneys gone if you did so.)

How to handle" blocked bidders list> wait four days and cancel sale due to non payment.

Oh and if you receive a FAKE payment notice: look to see if payment is under payments in your my eBay.

Oh and place them on your blocked buyer list as well.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Could you explain more in depth what is going on with your order? You have not provided any details about what they are doing other than saying that they want it shipped to another location with a $400 card. 

What did you sell? 

Did the buyer already receive the order and they are demanding you ship something else out to a different address? 

Please describe exactly what happened. 

In the meantime, DO NOT, repeat..... DO NOT, ship anything to any other address other than exactly what is on your order on eBay.

DO NOT ship anything other than what the buyer ordered. 

DO NOT ship any additional items if you have already shipped the original order. 

You are only covered for exactly what was ordered. So if the person is claiming something is damaged or anything else, they must return prior to any exchange or replacement shipment, otherwise you take the risk yourself on the buyer never returning the original item. 

If they are trying to extort you, goto the Facebook eBay for Business page and communicate with an eBay rep to report the buyer for extortion or policy violation and see if you qualify for protection against any defects, feedback, etc. Or you can goto help/contact at the top of eBay > go to contact us at the bottom of the page > goto returns & refunds > how to handle a return request as a seller > chat with our automated assistant > click don't see item in the chat > then more options > then "not sure" > then contact agent > then "have us call you"  , and you can request a call back that way. 

If you provide more information about exactly what is happening though, we are sure we can give you better advice or more specific advice to your issue. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

It is a scam.   Scammers don't pay so you need to cancel on the 5th day citing buyer didn't  pay and relist. This gives the scammer a strike and returns your fees.

You can't  cancel using problem with their address because you don't  get the shipping address until they pay. So that would be an incorrect reason. And it doesn't  give the scammer a strike which they need one if they're  trying to scam you.

Listing Buy now with immediate payment helps discourage scammers. So does building up feedback and gaining selling experience before listing expensive items or electronics.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

If you know you are being scammed why go any further? You don't need eBay or anyone else to tell you that since you are smart enough to know it. Just tell them no, block them from any further bidding including no communication and move on. Handle it as a business would. These people troll new sellers for one.  They know you are eager to complete your initial sales. Good luck!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

1. Do not communicate any further with this "buyer." 

2. He won't really pay you. Congratulations on not falling for this scam.  Four full days (96 hours) after the transaction, you can cancel it choosing "Buyer didn't pay" as the reason for the cancellation.  Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@pmg_distributors wrote:

Could you explain more in depth what is going on with your order? You have not provided any details about what they are doing other than saying that they want it shipped to another location with a $400 card. ...

That's all we really need to know. This is a classic scam setup.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@jufor1714 

Tagging on with the others.  Do not reply... This person isn't going to pay you.  Cancel the sale citing problem with address and then block them from further annoying you:

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

As a new seller you are a target.  I would avoid auction style listings with best offers and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off. Sport bidders and non - paying bidders steer clear of these listings as they must pay instantly.  NO best offers either or they will continue to annoy you.  

I stopped auction style listings years ago and now when I have a sale I always get paid.

Sorry for your experience.

Happy Selling!

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@jufor1714 wrote:

Thanks. J

@jufor1714 go here: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/sellers-can-cancel-order?id=4136 

scroll to bottom select contact us, go through the prompts til get to the prompt "Have Us Call You" select and go through the prompts - tell them you need to cancel the order and that buyer is a scam, wanting you to send them gift card and a different address then on order... that in itself, sending to another address then on order is a violation of rules, asking for something not included in the listing is violation of rules, ebay can see all messages received and sent from your account, they can verify the buyers requests, cancel the order, and will not get penalized for it. Scammers target new sellers, ones with least sales the better and this is your first sale so that's why it has happened. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:.... scroll to bottom select contact us, go through the prompts til get to the prompt "Have Us Call You" select and go through the prompts - tell them you need to cancel the order and that buyer is a scam, wanting you to send them gift card and a different address then on order... ...

Or they can wait one more day and with just a few clicks they can cancel based on "Buyer didn't pay," without having to go through the agony of contacting eBay support.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

not exactly true...scammers do pay, that's how they scam...hope they don't pay if you choose to wait. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply