cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

so how does a return that goes missing in the USPS work?

Been doing this a long time and I do not think I have ever had this happen.

Item being returned claimed defective has some scans but appears to be stuck in the same place for the last 8 days , return shipped 4/8, should of been 2 or 3 days.

Of course the buyer is wanting a refund right now, just wondering how these play out, 

Wonder who the USPS pays in a claim like this? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I assume it will close like a return does for inactivity.

If the return doesn't arrive by the date specified by eBay, the return will close in your favor. 

If I'm wrong someone will let me know.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I looked for but could not find a portion of a Weekly Chat with eBay Staff.
To paraphrase what a blue said about: What Happens When a Return is Lost in Transit.
If the seller paid for the return label, the buyer gets a refund.
If the buyer paid for the return label, the seller gets a refund.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@bashort 

@onlinecentral 

This is in Money Back Guarantee policy

IMG_1600.jpeg

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Last I knew there was no insurance on an eBay "return label" . If it was an eBay "return label" the likelihood is that no one will get anything from USPS in the form of a "claim".

If the seller purchases/provides a label outside of the eBay "return" label that may be a different situation. Seems that then the seller would make the claim for insurance.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@ebooksdiva 

Thanks for that screen shot.   The question remains, however, as how eBay determines/classifies "attempted delivery".   If the buyer uses a return label provided by eBay, and it has a scan or two, do they consider that the buyer ATTEMPTED delivery, even though the parcel is delayed or does not show delivered at all?   For some reason, I remember reading that eBay does, consider this as an attempted delivery, and the buyer will be refunded. However, has been a long while since I have seen any evidence here to substantiate that premise. other than instances involving 'fake tracking scam' 'or 'intentional wrong item sent' issues. 

At the same time,  your post encouraged me to look a little farther into this return issue because I was under the impression as well that "Signature confirmation" of a RETURN was not required either, in order for the buyer to get a refund for $750  threshold meeting items.  eBay issued labels do not include signature confirmation per se, and buyer's are not denied a refund simply because it was not used for the return.

I found this, that suggests that signature required is perhaps ONLY for labels purchased by the buyer:  

Requirements for returns

When the buyer is responsible for the cost of shipping for a returned item, signature confirmation is required in order to be protected in case the item doesn't make it back to the seller. If the total cost of the returned item is equal to or greater than the signature confirmation threshold for the site where the original purchase was completed, then you are required to add signature confirmation when you ship the return.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/signature-confirmation-policy?id=5154

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

questions:

Did you pay for return shipping label or is the buyer shipping back at their own cost?

If you provided a return label, eBay would not share that tracking number with you. 

How are you viewing screen shots? Are they only coming from the buyer?

I guess overall, if your only getting screen shots from the buyer and they are pushing you to refund without receiving the package, I would let it ride for now.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

If it's an EBay label, it should be USPS Priority which has a $100 damage value.  Be aware that when yo file the claim, USPS will demand you take the missing item in to your local post office for inspection.  At this point it usually takes a threat of filing action with state insurance commissioner or a Congressional inquiry to get them to pay.  (But that does work).

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

questions:

Did you pay for return shipping label or is the buyer shipping back at their own cost?

If you provided a return label, eBay would not share that tracking number with you. 

How are you viewing screen shots? Are they only coming from the buyer?

I guess overall, if your only getting screen shots from the buyer and they are pushing you to refund without receiving the package, I would let it ride for now.

It was a ebay provided at my cost, of course ebay will share the tracking number with me, it is visible in the return details

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Since you paid for the return label, can you do a trace through the buggy USPS form? For whatever reason, they seem to start moving when those are submitted (if you can get the form to work). 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@irishmichael4585 wrote:

If it's an EBay label, it should be USPS Priority which has a $100 damage value.  Be aware that when yo file the claim, USPS will demand you take the missing item in to your local post office for inspection.  At this point it usually takes a threat of filing action with state insurance commissioner or a Congressional inquiry to get them to pay.  (But that does work).

Ebay help page says

"Insurance isn’t available for return shipments that use eBay labels. If you or the buyer prefer that an item be returned with insurance, purchase your own return postage with insurance instead of using the return shipping label provided."

Source:https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703

Expand the section titled: Return an item with alternative shipping arrangements

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

@irishmichael4585 wrote:

Ebay help page says

"Insurance isn’t available for return shipments that use eBay labels. If you or the buyer prefer that an item be returned with insurance, purchase your own return postage with insurance instead of using the return shipping label provided."

Source:https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703

Expand the section titled: Return an item with alternative shipping arrangements

ever take your car to a repair shop and they ask if you would like insurance in case we loose your car? Me either only something that happens in a bureaucracy full of incompetent's 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Curious how you are supposed to take a "missing item" into your local post office? I assume you are talking about shipping damage rather than a lost package? 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Ebay help page says

"Insurance isn’t available for return shipments that use eBay labels. If you or the buyer prefer that an item be returned with insurance, purchase your own return postage with insurance instead of using the return shipping label provided."

I wonder if this is left over from when the return labels were first class which didn't have insurance. Are eBay return labels now using ground advantage? If so that should have insurance. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

If you have the tracking information, which I am assuming you do since you can see the progress, then either the shipper or the receiver can file a lost package claim with USPS within the specified timelines. If you file as the sender then one of the questions on the claim will be whether the receiver has been refunded for the item/shipment. Following is the timeline for filing claims with USPS. 

time.jpg

Message 15 of 15
latest reply