cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

seller bought from Costco and had Costco ship the item to me

I recently purchased a pack of socks from an eBay seller. A few days later I received a notification that a package was being delivered from Costco. I had not ordered anything from Costco so I was a bit confused. That package was the socks I had bought on eBay. The seller had gone, ordered the socks and had Costco ship them directly to me. The price I paid for the socks was almost double what the price was. It doesn’t sit right with me that a seller would buy directly from another company and have that company ship the item for them. I’m curious if this violates any of ebay’s selling guidelines?

Message 1 of 317
latest reply
316 REPLIES 316

@junebloomer

No Ebay policy broken here. It's called drop shipping and many sellers do it.

The seller should have had the items shipped to himself then he should have shipped to you.

Message 2 of 317
latest reply

Now you know where to buy your socks.

The process is as common as dirt on ebay now, the seller has become a no risk middleman.  Make sure you let ebay and everyone else know how the seller operates when you leave feedback.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 317
latest reply

If you thought the price you paid was fair, you have a moot point.

You do realize that people get $100 for a $5 item on here that was bought at Goodwill?
Is that unfair?

Message 4 of 317
latest reply

@junebloomer wrote:

It doesn’t sit right with me that a seller would buy directly from another company and have that company ship the item for them. I’m curious if this violates any of ebay’s selling guidelines?

When you buy almost ANYTHING you will be paying more than what the seller paid to obtain the item.

Did you get exactly what you ordered at the price it was listed at? If that is true then you have no complaint other than YOU failed to shop around.

Message 5 of 317
latest reply

Please thank your seller for getting you the socks you ordered and at the price you agreed to. I guess you now know the time to check prices is before you order.

Message 6 of 317
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

The process is as common as dirt on ebay now, the seller has become a no risk middleman.  Make sure you let ebay and everyone else know how the seller operates when you leave feedback.

...but isn't that a legitimate way to sell items?  Costco marked them up too from their supplier.  How is it a no risk?

I might be a bit annoyed too, but only at myself for not shopping around more.  Sometimes time is worth something too, though. 

Message 7 of 317
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
If you thought the price you paid was fair, you have a moot point.

You do realize that people get $100 for a $5 item on here that was bought at Goodwill?
Is that unfair?

Heck a guy I know bought an item for $5 and sold it for $3,000 on eBay in November. Buyer thanked him multiple times for giving him the chance to get such a great item.

Message 8 of 317
latest reply

Two Questions:
Did you get the item you paid for?
Did you get it for the price you paid?

What is the problem?

Message 9 of 317
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

Yeah let everyone know that you got exactly what you paid for!

By definition a "merchant" is simply a middleman who buys from a supplier and sells to an end user.

Message 10 of 317
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

All sellers who operate attempting to make a profit operate the same way with the exception that this buyer knows where the seller got the item.

Message 11 of 317
latest reply

Seller did nothing wrong. Next time compare prices before buying. There are actually browser extensions and apps that will scour a variety of sites to find you the lowest price.

Message 12 of 317
latest reply

@junebloomer wrote:

I recently purchased a pack of socks from an eBay seller. A few days later I received a notification that a package was being delivered from Costco. I had not ordered anything from Costco so I was a bit confused. That package was the socks I had bought on eBay. The seller had gone on Costco.com, ordered the socks and had Costco ship them directly to me. The price I paid for the socks was almost double what the Costco price was. It doesn’t sit right with me that a seller would buy directly from another company and have that company ship the item for them. I’m curious if this violates any of ebay’s selling guidelines?

I'm guessing you're more upset at yourself for nt checking other venues before buying? It might not 'sit right' with you but the seller did nothing wrong.

In the very rare instance that I was out of stock or an item arrived broken, I purchased from one of my competitors (who has their own website) and shipped directly to my customer. Not that it is the same, but does it really matter if I have an item in hand and ship it or ship it directly from where I buy it from?

You got the item at a price you were comfortable with. You're more upset that you could have gotten them cheaper but didn't shop around first.

Message 13 of 317
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:
Two Questions:
Did you get the item you paid for?
Did you get it for the price you paid?

What is the problem?

Image result for abacus pictures

Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 317
latest reply

I do think, though, that it is absolutely hilarious that this issue is almost 100% unique to the darling new items eBay craves and sees as the wave of their future and not the antique/vintage/ooak items they were founded with and sold buy those pesky noisemakers. It's a hoot that the sellers of new items are the ones rubbing the buyers the wrong way.

Message 15 of 317
latest reply