cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you use the words Barbie size in listings

I am so confused on listings again.  We can't use the word "no or not" ?  I put a Barbie doll outfit in a listing and stated no doll because I didn't want a buyer to think the doll modeling the outfit was included.  So I get a message saying I can't do that.  Well I took the words "no doll" off the listing.  So now I wonder if we are allowed to say "Barbie size" when describing an outfit if it doesn't have the Barbie tag?  We can't say we "think" it could be a Barbie clothes outfit unless we are sure, so can we say it is a Barbie doll size outfit or clothes?  It's getting scary to list for me.  Thank you for any information on this matter.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This question is so popular, eBay's Help page about "keyword spamming" and "search manipulation" even uses Barbie herself as an example!  eBay just doesn't want listings to show up in searches for items which they are not.  But you can say "fits" or "made for" Barbie.  They would be OK with "outfit only."

"Use the words "made for" or "fits" to describe how your item is used for a brand-name product. For example, if you're selling homemade clothes for Barbie dolls, you can describe them as "clothes made for Barbie dolls.""

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You can only state Barbie if it is a clothing item made by Mattel for a Barbie doll.

Otherwise it is key word spamming and not allowed.

Barbie dolls are 11 1/2 inches.  So if yours is that size, you can state it fits a 11 1/2 inch doll.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

No you cannot put Barbie size. In fact if you already had listings removed for saying what is not included in the listing and you list Barbie size, that would be strike two. You should not even show a Barbie doll in the listing for clothes. No need to as the buyer won't see a doll and they would not expect to receive a doll.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

This question is so popular, eBay's Help page about "keyword spamming" and "search manipulation" even uses Barbie herself as an example!  eBay just doesn't want listings to show up in searches for items which they are not.  But you can say "fits" or "made for" Barbie.  They would be OK with "outfit only."

"Use the words "made for" or "fits" to describe how your item is used for a brand-name product. For example, if you're selling homemade clothes for Barbie dolls, you can describe them as "clothes made for Barbie dolls.""

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

The clothes I put on the Barbie were Mattel (Barbie clothes) but I wanted to make sure that I can say Barbie size doll clothes in my listing. I didn't have the listing removed, by the way.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I wanted to know. You rock!
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Thank you for your help.  I didn't mean that "I" made the listing as Barbie size clothes as not being Barbie clothes.  They were Barbie clothes, but I had it on a Barbie as well.  I just was not including the Barbie doll with the clothing.  I'm sorry I was not more clear.  And I am thankful that ebay did not remove a listing for saying that the doll was not included, but instead let me know  for future listings.  I just got confused that I couldn't say "no doll" with the clothing. 

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I am so confused on listings again.  We can't use the word "no or not" ?  I put a Barbie doll outfit in a listing and stated no doll because I didn't want a buyer to think the doll modeling the outfit was included.  So I get a message saying I can't do that.  Well I took the words "no doll" off the listing.  So now I wonder if we are allowed to say "Barbie size" when describing an outfit if it doesn't have the Barbie tag?  We can't say we "think" it could be a Barbie clothes outfit unless we are sure, so can we say it is a Barbie doll size outfit or clothes?  It's getting scary to list for me.  Thank you for any information on this matter. Stargrl 8 -unquote 

Barbie clothes will have a B or Matel lable attached , especially vintage clothing that usually have a black lable . If you're still unsure of the maker you can say clothing will fit 12 inch size dolls . Tulips 

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

11 1/2 inch vinyl fashion doll, or just, 11 1/2 fashion doll

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

OK , Mattel -made Barbie clothes can use the word 'Barbie'.

How about clothes made from the (McCall?) patterns that were authorized for Barbie?

Unlabelled obviously, since they are homemade/custom made.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Good question! Anyone have an answer? I have many Barbie outfits/dresses made from these patterns that have the Barbie logo. Most were made 60 years ago and are stunning.
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

OK , Mattel -made Barbie clothes can use the word 'Barbie'.

How about clothes made from the (McCall?) patterns that were authorized for Barbie?

Unlabelled obviously, since they are homemade/custom made.

I would say no.

I would list them as McCall home made clothes to fit 11 1/2 inch fashion doll.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

femmefan1946 wrote: ... How about clothes made from the (McCall?) patterns that were authorized for Barbie?

Unlabelled obviously, since they are homemade/custom made....

That's exactly the issue that was addressed in post #4.  eBay's Help page about brand names and keyword spamming specifically says, "if you're selling homemade clothes for Barbie dolls, you can describe them as "clothes made for Barbie dolls."

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Use 11 1/2" fashion doll

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply