cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings." WTH?

I have this transmission from a 2013 Dodge Dart listed: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Dodge-Dart-2-0L-automatic-transmission-with-torque-converter-18-000-Mi... If I go to the catagory, Complete Auto Transmissions and enter the search words, 2013 Dart, it doesn't show up. A line says, "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings. View all results" and if I click on that, it DOES show up, but I doubt most people do. Why or how do I get it show up in the first time search results? Is it because I listed it as FOR PARTS NOT WORKING?

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings." WTH?

If I search "Dodge Dart transmission 2.0' like you say, it still doesn't show in a search until I click, "View All Results."

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Re: "We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings." WTH?

Relevance is in the eyes of the beholder.  The buyer may have different ideas as to what constitutes relevance.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I'm not a motors buyer or seller.

I searched "2013 Dodge Dart Transmission 2.0"

137 Results, in all conditions

130 Used

Sorted by Best Match, yours is way down at the bottom of the list

If I look at the top best match listings and compare them with yours:

1) They use full Item Specifics

2) They have more than one picture in the gallery and none (or one) in the description

3) Their listings are mobile friendly

FWIW ... YMMV

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

130 Used

2) They have more than one picture in the gallery and none (or one) in the description

Most people (I assume as that is most logical) sort by price first, then maybe by location if it's a large item that isn't shipped. What do you see then? What exactly is best match anyway? It has absolutely no relevance to anything when I search for something.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@atikovi wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

130 Used

Most people (I assume as that is most logical) sort by price first, then maybe by location if it's a large item that isn't shipped. What do you see then? What exactly is best match anyway? It has absolutely no relevance to anything when I search for something.

I used "Best Match" because the algorithm is (most likely) analogous to the one that eBay uses to determine which listings are "removed to show relevant"

Sorted by price (low to high) I get the "removed listings" message ... it still says 130 listings, but it only shows 50 ... And yours is not included in those 50 (unless I click the "show all").

Same thing on "high to low", yours is not included in the pre-filtered sort.

If I sort "nearest first", the message does not come up ... it shows me all 130 listings ... but you are in Maryland and I'm in Florida ... so you are about half way down the list for me 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Looks like the "For Parts Only" condition category was the problem. Changed it to "Used" and now it's the first listing that comes up in the Complete Automatic Transmissions section using the search words 2013 Dart Transmission. Might have to raise the price now that people actually can see it.Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I love how all the responses that are defending this **bleep** say it is to keep the searches more relevant, and yet EVEN THEN I can search for, say, guitar amp, IN THE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS/AMPLIFIERS category and STILL get 27000 results that are just a single jack or a wire or some such bull**bleep** for literally PAGE AFTER PAGE before I find what I am looking for MAYBE before I give up.

And don't even get me started on these **bleep** for brains chinese sellers who think that putting a guitar pick for $1 in an auction as a "alternate version" of a $40 guitar pedal or some such (Yes, I see is EVERY DAY looking for pedals on the cheap) to get the $40 item jammed in with all the 10,000 other $40 items that are listed with the $1 items, won't make me report their arses for fraud and search manipulation. Though it seems that Ebay has cornered the market on their own **bleep** search and browse manipulation scam.

I have complained about this to Ebay, they don't care.

Might be time to look for a new auction site.

When the big boys stop caring, stop using them.

Message 22 of 22
latest reply