cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"See full item description" Button

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Message 1 of 195
latest reply
194 REPLIES 194

This is simply horrible.  Ebay should remember its original mission,  making it easy for buyers and sellers to come together.  This is only the latest in a string of bad decisions that continue to make it harder and harder to sell things on Ebay.

Buyers are not noticing the "See Full Description" box, and we have not sold a single item since it started.  So much for detailed, colorful HTML listings and multiple full-screen photos.  Not much point in doing them if nobody is looking.

Please, the next time somebody at Ebay has a good idea, please, please,  go home and sleep it off. 

Message 91 of 195
latest reply

I ask this question in the weekly chat today. here is my question and their answer.

Sellers like me recently have found that the item description was or is hidden behind a button “See Full Description Here”. Is this a test for the future? If so, please explain the reason WHY this would be a good idea and WHO is it going to benefit? I do not think buyers want to be clicking to find the description. Buyers like easy & simple.
After clearing my cache, my item descriptions went back to normal, no longer behind a button, but that does not mean buyers are not having to click the button to see the full description, if they see it.

Hi @kavi1030 & @d-k_treasures - We've sent this on asking for more information. We'll share any updates we get as soon as they become available. Thanks! grinning

There was NO answer and most likely will not be.

Message 92 of 195
latest reply

I get the "See Full Description Here" button when I go on the internet through Google Chrome, but if I use Internet Explorer I get the full descriptions automatically.

Anybody else having similar experiences?

Message 93 of 195
latest reply

I had 6 requests for returns last week and every single one were for fit. I put measurements in all my listings and it just occurred to me that the buyers aren't reading "the full description". What a nightmare!

Message 94 of 195
latest reply

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I have trouble with people not looking down at the description when it is all on the same page and now they have to look down and then click on another page before seeing the decription.   Some of my listing I have to put READ DESCRIPTION in the title just to get people to look down before buying.  ((Through my hands up and smack forehead with palm))  ((rinse and repeat)) 

Message 95 of 195
latest reply

@kavi1030 wrote:

I ask this question in the weekly chat today. here is my question and their answer.

Sellers like me recently have found that the item description was or is hidden behind a button “See Full Description Here”. Is this a test for the future? If so, please explain the reason WHY this would be a good idea and WHO is it going to benefit? I do not think buyers want to be clicking to find the description. Buyers like easy & simple.
After clearing my cache, my item descriptions went back to normal, no longer behind a button, but that does not mean buyers are not having to click the button to see the full description, if they see it.

Hi @kavi1030 & @d-k_treasures - We've sent this on asking for more information. We'll share any updates we get as soon as they become available. Thanks! grinning

There was NO answer and most likely will not be.

Well, we knew 'soon' had to be in there somewhere ..........

But as I said upthread, a major problem when I got the link(only the one way) was that totally incorrect info was showing for the description prior to the link. I consider that worse than having the link itself(which is bad enough).

FYI - I don't ship magazines media mail - mostly use first class mail now.  Long story, but years ago I read an article on Yahoo about the post office - it was a pro-USPS article, which basically was promoting shipments through the post office.  Article stated that it was a little know fact that magazines could be shipped via media mail.  After that (years ago), I did start using media mail.  Did it for several years with no problem.  Last summer the post office started opening and returning magazines.  Talked with my post office manager and was informed that it depended on the magazine.  Educational magazines can be shipped media mail.  Thin line there, as all magazines are educational in some way.  Too many listings on my end to change the method of shipping.  Tried doing global changes in listing manager and it got all screwed up.  Not worth the time and stress.  I just leave it as is - buyer's don't mind the upgrade in method of shipment.  I just ship first class or flat rate priority now.  

Message 97 of 195
latest reply

Bullcrap!  All of those websites show a full item description when you select an item from a search.  ALL of them.   You might have to click something more to see warranty, reviews, instructions, etc.  But you  do not need to click anything extra to see the basic description.  

Message 98 of 195
latest reply

Another totally dumb idea!!!!!

Message 99 of 195
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@plumtree.ltd wrote:

The "See full item description" button is one of the worst ideas eBay has ever implemented. I am a top rated seller and have been ever since the program was introduced. Part of what makes me a top rated seller is my big, beautiful pictures and my complete descriptions of what is included and what the condition of the item is. Now all of that is hidden and prospective buyers need to click another button to see the full description. I would be willing to bet that that button does not get clicked by over half the people that view the listing and that most of those that do not click it either do not see it or have no idea what it is for. I would also not be at all surprised if eBay sees a sharp increase in the number of item not as received cases because you are hiding the seller’s description of that item from prospective buyers. Let’s just put it in terms that management should be paying attention to: more item not as described cases means more man hours devoted to resolving these cases which in turn leads to more labor cost for eBay. Further, an increased number of item not as received cases leads to an increased number of buyers who had a bad experience on eBay and are therefore less likely to return to eBay. Less traffic leads to fewer bids which leads to lower final sales prices which leads to lower revenue for eBay from final value fees. So by hiding seller’s descriptions of the item they are selling from prospective buyers eBay is effectively raising the company's overall operating cost while lowering overall revenue.

Sellers please take a few minutes to let eBay know that you think this is a really bad idea and that it should be done away with. To by-pass all the misleading "Contact Us" links and send your message to someone who will actually read it please copy and paste the following into your browser's address window:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+a... us

Hey everyone, I just wanted to step in and address some of the concerns raised in this thread. This is a test we have been running and will continue for a few more weeks. Since we introduced an item description for mobile last year to provide a quick summary fo the most relevant listing info, we've seen good results in a mobile context. This test affects a very small portion of buyers to see their experience with a full item description link on a desktop platform. To ensure the validity of results, short-term tests do not have the option for you to opt-out. Since only a small percentage of buyers are included, you should not see an impact on your sales as the great majority of your buyers will continue to have the same experience with seeing the full description up front. If there is a measurable adverse impact, we will discontinue the test. We will review the impact this has on the buying experience before making any possible changes in the future. 

Thanks for your feedback here in the thread and for those of you who used the Tell us what you think link on the eBay site. We take this into consideration when reviewing any changes!

Message 100 of 195
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@plumtree.ltd wrote:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+about+selling&bcrumb=Help>Contact us

Hey everyone, I just wanted to step in and address some of the concerns raised in this thread. This is a test we have been running and will continue for a few more weeks. Since we introduced an item description for mobile last year to provide a quick summary fo the most relevant listing info, we've seen good results in a mobile context. This test affects a very small portion of buyers to see their experience with a full item description link on a desktop platform. To ensure the validity of results, short-term tests do not have the option for you to opt-out. Since only a small percentage of buyers are included, you should not see an impact on your sales as the great majority of your buyers will continue to have the same experience with seeing the full description up front. If there is a measurable adverse impact, we will discontinue the test. We will review the impact this has on the buying experience before making any possible changes in the future. 

Thanks for your feedback here in the thread and for those of you who used the Tell us what you think link on the eBay site. We take this into consideration when reviewing any changes!

See my post 87. I'm not in the test(thank God, or I wouldn't be bidding on anything), but somehow one linked item showed up with the dreaded link.

@Anonymous

Just a quick note ... when I was briefly put into this test I never saw any Tell Us What you Think link. When I clicked on the button the full description opened up in a new page that only had the description. There was no reference that it was even on eBay and no reference to who the seller was who wrote this description.

Several years ago eBay tested this and at that time there was a link to supply feedback on this but not this time.

I was able to escape by just clearing out all the eBay cookies ... did not have to clear all cache or cookies or browsing history ... just the eBay cookies.

I will state that while I was in this test that some of the descriptions that were pulled forward were way off base when you viewed the total description ... lots of stuff eBay pulled forward was out of context for the item being sold and very misleading.

Message 102 of 195
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@plumtree.ltd wrote:

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS=CU0751&subject=Suggestions+about+selling&bcrumb=Help>Contact us

See my post 87. I'm not in the test(thank God, or I wouldn't be bidding on anything), but somehow one linked item showed up with the dreaded link.

I have sent you an email to get some more details on this to pass along to the appropriate teams. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Message 103 of 195
latest reply

this is HORRRRRRIBLE!  Just invested in making the description beautiful and was getting sales consistently, before zippo... so ebay forcing those behind a button - may look efficient, but curb appeal is ZERO!  

Message 104 of 195
latest reply

They will when we pull our stuff off their site!

Message 105 of 195
latest reply