cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Best Offer" showing up on auctions??

Hey everyone.

Has anyone else had the "best offer" option start showing up on auctions?

I typically use the "best offer" option on my BIN fixed price listings, but I've never heard of it showing up at auction before. I didn't even think it was possible to have an offer feature on an auction, but it's showing up on everything I list today. Obviously, when I list an item at auction, the minimum bid is the lowest I'll accept, so I don't even see why eBay would consider making this an option. I already get plenty of lowball offers & the last thing I need is offers below my minimum bid, and there's not even a BIN price on these listings.

I list several items a week for auction, and I didn't do anything different this time, so I'm wondering why it's showing up, or if there's something in my default settings that was somehow changed?

Is it visible on a page that's not my account?

I called eBay CS, but all they could really tell me was that it SHOULDN'T be an option, and ask me to decline any offers I recieve while the auction is running.

Anybody else running into this??

Message 1 of 197
latest reply
196 REPLIES 196

If Ebay decides whats a good price to start an auction with they must have a 1000s of experts around the office now.To determine all the antiques and vintage stuff that is selling on Ebay.

Message 136 of 197
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@mrv71 wrote:

In this case sellers should set their prices 2-3 times higher than the desired price, so the lowballers would think they are getting a "deal". This would be the only way to get a fair price for an item - thank you ebay, you made my day (again!)

The point is that the starting bid price on an auction listing is mandatory and if the seller doesn't pay to put a separate reserve on the item, that mandatory starting bid becomes the reserve.  Since placing a bid on an item being sold at auction is, by law, entering into a binding contract, it is making an offer to purchase at the bid price.  For a seller to entertain an offer outside of the competitive bidding process could easily lead to accusations of failure to operate in good faith and legal action against the seller.  Such an accusation could cause a licensed auctioneer and auction business to lose their license.

I would recommend that anyone selling at auction not to do so if this best offer option appears on their listings.  At least until they have a chance to check with their state's auction regulating authority.  This, I believe, is especially important for all licensed auction industry folks out there.

Alas!  It is no secret that eBay's management isn't always on the mark when it comes to what they believe are innovations.

It's kinda close to an auctioneer asking for 100.00 to start, knowing it's going to end up at 350.00, but then lowering the asking starting bid to 50.00, seeing a friend bid, and then immediately saying 'sold'.

Actually, when calling bids at a live outcry style auction it is customary to start by asking for a bid that the seems reasonable, although I have asked for an opening bid of a million five for a gosh awful still life.  (Interesting story but unrelated to current topic.) If there are no bidders at that amount the auctioneer chants backwards until he receives an opening bid or passes the item.  However, there is a fundamental difference between that style of auction and the type of auction that is run on eBay.

One difference is that the starting bid is a mandatory one.  Unlike in the above mentioned scenario, there is no option for real time interaction between the seller and the bidder.  The opening bid amount is, for want of a better term, set in stone for the duration of the bidding period unless the seller edits the listing to lower it.  A process that cannot be done once the item has received a bid.

When it comes to an auctioneer doing what you have suggested and selling at a low price to a, so called, "friend."  That auctioneer would be violating their duty to the owner of the property and find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit and possibly the loss of their license.  At best, word of it would get around and the auction business would lose business.  Auctioneers are agents of the seller, not the buyer.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 137 of 197
latest reply

@brooksideglen19520 wrote:

eBay got me on one of mine too 😞

Out of multiple auctions listed last two days only got put on one. Got an offer this morning and was stunned. Whole reason of switching to auction was to avoid offers especially on an item where I am unsure of its worth.

Is there way to stop this from being added at their will??

What about fixed price? Is it still our option to add Make an Offer or is that being decided too??

If you use the Advanced Listing Form you can create a Fixed Price listing without Buy It Now.   Well, at least I can.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 138 of 197
latest reply

I have this on my auction listings as well. I like it. I hope it stays. I sold an item for more than I would have gotten by the end of the auction because the customer wanted the item now. 

Message 139 of 197
latest reply

And that is what a BIN is supposed to be for. Good grief.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 140 of 197
latest reply

bin costs store owners more........

@lookng2015 wrote:

Message 141 of 197
latest reply

Then MAYBE they could give those who PAY for stores the same FREE BIN on auctions NON payers get?

I know I'd use it if it was FREE

Message 142 of 197
latest reply

@stoneledge wrote:

Setting aside all the emoting about this new  feature, let's think about why they may be testing this out.

eBay owns a gigantic database of previous listings data.  How many billions or trillions of listings?  Hard to say.

If I'm a data analyst at eBay and I want to see how to stimulate growth in revenue, transactions, and positive outcomes where sellers sell things and buyers buy things, I would look at the billions and billions of listings that ended without a sale and start to ask questions.

One thing I'd probably find is that there are billions of listings that never sold and one reason for that might be that the price on the listing was statistically higher than the price on listings for similar (or the same) items.  And I'd be dependent on big computers to try to figure out what items are similar or the same.  And those computers aren't going to be able to do that perfectly every time, but a Barbie doll with a specific UPC in brand New condition is a fairly specific thing that has sold thousands of times on eBay and a computer can look at the distribution of prices and find that 90% of them fall within a certain range, taking into account other factors, etc.  (Other items are far less easy to peg, and are much more subjectively priced, and there's going to be a much greater grey area on them. )

Another thing I'd find is that there are billions of those unsold listings that were Auctions, and the variable that most highly corellated with "did not get a bid" (so failed to sell.  No fees.  No happy buyers.  No happy sellers.  Some of whom eventually go away and buy or sell elsewhere... etc.) would likely be "Starting Price minus eBay Average Recent Sold Price for Same Item."   And where there are a lot of "Same Items" out there, it would be a reasonable analysis to conduct. 

Now, a lot of savvy experienced sellers may feel that they don't need this kind of push from eBay.  We see emotions all over these boards on this and many other topics, but the guy who came up with this is a data analyst using big computers and some good reasoning.    

CERTAINLY, eBay should have announced that this was coming to Sellers, Buyers, and eBay staff.   eBay screwed that up. So what else is new?

I would propose that several things should have happened to make this work better (but maybe its just in a limited Beta test so they don't want to announce and have press coverage before the kinks are worked out.  Perhaps, for example, eBay is testing presenting this to different Buyers with different wording to see what works better.)

1. eBay should have announced this to Sellers and explained it.
  2. Sellers should have the freedom to opt out of it globally or for each listing individually.
  3. Sellers should have the power to set (or not set) $ limits to automatically accept or decline the "Make Offer/Best Offer" from a Buyer just like Sellers can on Fixed Price Best Offers.   "Auto Accept all Best Offers of at least $10.  Auto Decline all Best Offers below $10."

BUT the logic of this could make very good sense in trying to make more listings sell.  Happy Sellers, Happy Buyers. eBay revenue.  Return customers, etc.

And, no, it does not fit easily into many categories.  We all already know that for lots of items, eBay is woefully bad at estimating the "right" price. (But if they are dead wrong 20% of the time out of a billion items listed, whatever the number is, it's a huge number of wrongs, but a hugerer number of fairly good guesses by eBay.  And eBay has to go with the numbers.)  But they should employ more nuanced human intelligence to determine where the computers aren't going to nail the pricing.  They should automate feedback from Sellers on the "performance" pages of Seller Hub for example, where we could tell them "eBay suggested I sell this item for $5 with Free Shipping but here's why that's far too low."

So they botched it so far, but it could be a powerful idea.

It's a powerful idea, all right... in the same way rotting corpses on a 100 degree humid day are a powerful smell.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 143 of 197
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous

If this turns out to be a test or even "real".......I have a question....Buyer makes offer, Seller makes counteroffer..... 2nd buyer bids.......... What the heck do we do if lst buyer accepts the offer, presumably ending the listing and the 2nd buyer screams to us that it was supposed to BE AN AUCTION?????

Buyer are already ticked off when sellers cancel auctions that don't get bid high enough........this is really not going to please some of them.........

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous

If this turns out to be a test or even "real".......I have a question....Buyer makes offer, Seller makes counteroffer..... 2nd buyer bids.......... What the heck do we do if lst buyer accepts the offer, presumably ending the listing and the 2nd buyer screams to us that it was supposed to BE AN AUCTION?????

Buyer are already ticked off when sellers cancel auctions that don't get bid high enough........this is really not going to please some of them.........

Point being, things need to be evaluated thoroughly for what may happen before implementation.

That's just NOT how eBay rolls. Been here long?

Message 144 of 197
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

I'll take "What are fixed price sales for 1000, Alex"

@christiandrew_7 wrote:

I have this on my auction listings as well. I like it. I hope it stays. I sold an item for more than I would have gotten by the end of the auction because the customer wanted the item now. 

That's interesting. Congrats.

Message 146 of 197
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

bin costs store owners more........

@lookng2015 wrote:

...which may be one of the driving forces behind the program.

Message 147 of 197
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

@lookng2015 didn't have to name the BIN price in this case.  The buyer proposed a price that he wanted to pay  and  @lookng2015 was very happy with it.  All good.   Everyone's happy.  

Message 148 of 197
latest reply

I cheated and looked because I was interested in how the sold item displayed. Must be on another ID zip nadda on the one posting...

Message 149 of 197
latest reply

@stoneledge wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

@lookng2015 didn't have to name the BIN price in this case.  The buyer proposed a price that he wanted to pay  and  @lookng2015 was very happy with it.  All good.   Everyone's happy.  

@It wasn't me...... would help if you got your @ references right.

Message 150 of 197
latest reply