cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Best Offer" showing up on auctions??

Hey everyone.

Has anyone else had the "best offer" option start showing up on auctions?

I typically use the "best offer" option on my BIN fixed price listings, but I've never heard of it showing up at auction before. I didn't even think it was possible to have an offer feature on an auction, but it's showing up on everything I list today. Obviously, when I list an item at auction, the minimum bid is the lowest I'll accept, so I don't even see why eBay would consider making this an option. I already get plenty of lowball offers & the last thing I need is offers below my minimum bid, and there's not even a BIN price on these listings.

I list several items a week for auction, and I didn't do anything different this time, so I'm wondering why it's showing up, or if there's something in my default settings that was somehow changed?

Is it visible on a page that's not my account?

I called eBay CS, but all they could really tell me was that it SHOULDN'T be an option, and ask me to decline any offers I recieve while the auction is running.

Anybody else running into this??

Message 1 of 197
latest reply
196 REPLIES 196

Apparently it's the Glitch du Jour.  I just saw this for the first time on another thread this evening.  

What happens if you add a "Buy it now" option on the auction (other than incurring a little listing upgrade fee)?

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 7.38.32 PM.png

Message 2 of 197
latest reply

Got the test offer. Very strange indeed.

When I try to add the BIN option, I get an error message (I paraphrased below because the HTML won't copy/paste).

Are they really making this an option now?! 

"An auction cannot have both "best offer" and "buy it now" option. Please select only one of these options."

Message 3 of 197
latest reply

@saintcharlesplaceantiques wrote:

When I try to add the BIN option, I get an error message (I paraphrased below because the HTML won't copy/paste).

"An auction cannot have both "best offer" and "buy it now" option. Please select only one of these options."

HTML won't copy/paste.  Thanks Lithium. 

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 4 of 197
latest reply

Sorry... I meant that the text from the error message was HTML format. I couldn't copy & paste it, so I paraphrased the message instead. It's not verbatim, but it basically said: "An auction cannot have both "best offer" and "buy it now" option. Please select only one of these options."

Message 5 of 197
latest reply

Cross reference this report:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Could-some-one-please-help-me/td-p/27593395

Message 6 of 197
latest reply

Sorry... I meant that the text from the error message was HTML format. I couldn't copy & paste it, so I paraphrased the message instead. It's not verbatim, but it basically said: "An auction cannot have both "best offer" and "buy it now" option. Please select only one of these options."

I hope they don't put such a stupid thing like BO on auctions. In addition, I wouldn't trust them to have it go away once a bid is placed.

BO on auctions here will sure help to grow some other sites that offer auctions.

That message sure makes it look like this is design, not glitch.  If it were a glitch why program a response on how to use the feature?

Message 8 of 197
latest reply

My thoughts as well.

I'm sure if Jeff was still with us he'd say it was "working as intended".

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 197
latest reply

Same thing happened to me today.. it's on everything I listed. I went in as a guest and the "best offer" appeared under the price but when I opened the listing there was only a bid option. It's some kind of glitch.
Message 10 of 197
latest reply

Creating a new listing from a blank form:

The only 2 formats are Auction-style and Fixed Price.

There is no Best Offer option in Auction-Style.  

I don't have access to the Quick List form or whatever they have for new acounts to see if it's something they've stuck in there.

Message 11 of 197
latest reply

marimats wrote: ...  the "best offer" appeared under the price but when I opened the listing there was only a bid option. It's some kind of glitch.

I'm seeing a Make Offer option in your listings.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 8.47.57 PM.png

Message 12 of 197
latest reply

@stoneledge wrote:
 ... I don't have access to the Quick List form or whatever they have for new acounts to see if it's something they've stuck in there....

The first two posts that I saw about this glitch were from sellers who had Stores, so they must have been using the advanced listing form.

Message 13 of 197
latest reply

I can't see any option either.

There's no option for best offer in auction listings, eBay is just automatically including it. That's why I'm wondering if it's something in my advanced default settings, but I still can't figure it out.

Message 14 of 197
latest reply

I just created a new listing by filling in the blank listing form.

It's an Auction with no Buy It Now price.

The item listing does not display Best Offer.

Message 15 of 197
latest reply