cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on shipping

I sold an item but I did not have correct shipping information. I should have done a flat rate for shipping. 

The item sold and I reached out to ebay and buyer because shipping cost to buyer is short $100. no answer from buyer. What would you do? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

question on shipping

As a seller here, you can't ask for more shipping (after a sale) than you asked for in the listing. I'd ship it. Good luck.

Afterthought... you might want to revisit the s&h charges you have on your live listings. They look too low, too.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

You need to ship it with the price the buyer paid.

You cannot ask for more money.

Take it as a lesson learned.

You cannot cancel the sale.

If it was an auction...and you cancel it..you will still get charged a eBay fee percentage of price buyer paid for.

And probably get a "ding" for canceling a sale.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Wow that was a bad guess on the shipping for the telescope, but that is not the buyers problem.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Both ethically and according to eBay policies, you should take responsibility for your error, and ship the item.  The bid history shows that your winning bidder ran the bid up by almost $100; if he hadn't come along, the item would have sold for about $100 less. So in a way, it evens out.

As noted in another post, the shipping rates of your current active listings are also problematic.  You should go back and revise the shipping calculator in those listings, to reflect the actual weight and dimensions of the packages you'll be shipping.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

As  nobody*s_perfect  stated according to policy you should ship the item. Although you have been on eBay awhile this appears to be one of the first items you have sold. You may want to end your current listings and read through a couple of the eBay files specifically the money back guarantee (since you don't accept returns, which does not translate to no refunds), and the fee schedule. 

Shipping can be one of the more challenging aspects of selling especially when it comes to larger heavier objects. It look like your buyer chose USPS priority mail as their selected shipping option. This probably could have been shipped a lot cheaper using USPS ground advantage or UPS Ground. Also be aware that USPS insured shipping classes only have $100 of coverage, if you want to fully insure you need to add extra coverage. 

You should also be aware that both FedEx and UPS are infamous for unilaterally adding surcharges to the cost of the shipping and eBay simply collects those funds from the seller without any prior notification or authorization and sends them to the carrier. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy... 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Thank you for your response. This is very helpful.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Thank you your response is very helpful. I will do as advised and reevaluate my shipping. Thank you

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. It’s been very helpful. I will take your advice

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Thank you for your reply.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

@dress2thenine wrote:

I sold an item but I did not have correct shipping information. I should have done a flat rate for shipping. 

The item sold and I reached out to ebay and buyer because shipping cost to buyer is short $100. no answer from buyer. What would you do? 

Your mistake. Ship the item, take the loss and learn from your mistake. 

Sorry.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Thank you for your reply. The product was shipped. Everything is good

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

I would box it up and get it shipped.

Then make sure to enter the correct information in the listings so that didn't happen again.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

@dress2thenine wrote:

Thank you your response is very helpful. I will do as advised and reevaluate my shipping. Thank you

Shipping is hard for many of us...and most of us have and still do make mistakes.  I hope you have looked over your other listings since it's no fun at all losing money on postage.  I glanced at the bronze clock you have listed and the shipping is only showing $8. to me across the country.  Maybe that's correct, but I wonder how big that clock is.  There are no measurements in the listing, so maybe it's rather small, but I wonder.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

question on shipping

Be glad the item sold for over $800 as you have the money to pay for your mistake.  

Message 15 of 17
latest reply