cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

potential buyer used racial slur in message

I have some elastic listed and a potential buyer messaged and asked was it made in america. i replied i didnt know, it was leftover from mask projects and i didnt manufacture any of it. he messaged me back and called me a smartass **bleep** with monkey face emojis. said he assumed because i bought it i should know where it was made but i probably dont know anything for that matter, the elastic is probably stolen and im just plain ignorant. you dont want my elastic thats cool but calling me a **bleep** with monkey faces...not so much. i tried to report him but its only giving me the option to report if a purchase was made. anyone know how to alert ebay to this? my feelings arent hurt or anything i just would like to report him.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This slur violates several policies. The Threats and Offensive Language policy,  the Member to Member Contact policy and Member Behavior policy, among them.  To report, try the Report the Buyer portal in this link below, for the Abusive Buyer policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I don't think ebay would do anything about this and I am sorry it happened to you. Too many people seem to have lost it. Be sure to put them in your blocked buyer list.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I'd ignore that ignorant person. And block his a$$... you don't need that sale. I am so sorry that happened to you. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

This slur violates several policies. The Threats and Offensive Language policy,  the Member to Member Contact policy and Member Behavior policy, among them.  To report, try the Report the Buyer portal in this link below, for the Abusive Buyer policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

That jackwagon's elastic has most definitely snapped. 😠

ETA: Yes, report him anyway you can - no one should have to put up with that.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Been on eBay for many years, and found that most reporting just sort of goes in one ear and out the other.  EBay seldom does anything.  Yes, it is upsetting, but simply shows what person they are and not the person you are.  Just put them on your "Blocked Bidders List" and move on. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You absolutely do not have to put up with that from anyone.  I am so sorry you experienced this here.  Sometimes people get really emboldened by it not being a face to face encounter, so they say stuff that is in their hearts that they would never have the guts to say face to face with someone.  Just know that person leads a sad life.  One of their own doing.

Those that think Ebay won't do anything about this are wrong.  From personal experience I know that not to be true.  However I have never used the site to report that type of issue, I call it in.  And I would suggest you do that here too.  So you can best express your feelings about this.  I know that calling isn't very easy right now, but I think you will get better results doing it.

They won't tell you what they do to the buyer but you will know from how the CSR treats you if they are really going to take care of business.

Do make sure this person is on your BBL.  And if they email you again, don't respond, REPORT!!

Stay safe and healthy!!!  😍

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I swear people have just gone off the deepend now.  Never in my long (68 this year) life have I ever seen the level of animosity and hatred and just plain old ME ME ME.  Just who do we think we are?  I am sorry this happened to you OP.  Keep your chin up.  We will either evolve or go the way of the dinosaurs.  Might be for the best.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I did end up reporting and blocking them. The rep was apologetic that it happened.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

that was funny 😂

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I did it through chat and blocked them. I wanted to make sure a physical person was told, people are crazy. Idc if you dont like me because of how I look, I just worry about safety and such. People have been doing crazy racially motivated stuff lately.  Being online def gives a lot of people courage they dont have otherwise.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply