cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enlargement of a photo for an Ebay listing

Perhaps one or two of you out there may be able to give me some advice.  There are many listings from you folks out there of smaller items that have been enlarged for an Ebay listing and they look great.  I post something and many times it comes out looking small.  For example, when posting a 3 inch political button, there are so many pictures listed by others that come out nice and large.  I post one, and it looks like very small in comparison.  I use an HP jet pro 9015 scanner, and an inexpensive Nikon Coolpix camera.  Any suggestions how I could better enlarge my pictures.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks.  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: enlargement of a photo for an Ebay listing

Use the same technique you do for your coins or paper items.  On my PC screen, those are nice and large and show the details well.  All of the paper items I see on the first page fill the whole photo box.  

The editing of the button listings put up today makes them look like you're listing a flat image and not a 3-dimensional button because of the way the background is erased.  It's hard to see the edges.  Retaking those photos using the same plain white or grey background you used with a lot of your other items would probably make them look as good as the coins do, and would save you a lot of time editing.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Check the details of the picture.  It is important on how wide and tall the pic is.  Look at the pixel numbers.

The minimum pixels that Ebay wants is 500, either side.  But it is better to have them larger than that.  But if you enlarge your pic, make sure the clarity of the item is still there.  In not, get a new pic.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/picture-policy?id=4370

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@fallgold4031 

You need to crop your images to get rid of all the dead space!

You may be able to do that within the scanner or if not then after the scan.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You may want to try and find a macro auxiliary lens for you nikon coolpix camera.  It would screw onto your existing lens.   Many are available right here on ebay.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@fallgold4031 

You may want to increase your DPI on what ever photo app you are using on either your laptop or phone.  I use 2000 x 1800 in most of my photos.  So far they look clear and represent the item accordingly.

Happy Snapping and Selling!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Use the same technique you do for your coins or paper items.  On my PC screen, those are nice and large and show the details well.  All of the paper items I see on the first page fill the whole photo box.  

The editing of the button listings put up today makes them look like you're listing a flat image and not a 3-dimensional button because of the way the background is erased.  It's hard to see the edges.  Retaking those photos using the same plain white or grey background you used with a lot of your other items would probably make them look as good as the coins do, and would save you a lot of time editing.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@vintage-camerastuff wrote:

You may want to try and find a macro auxiliary lens for you nikon coolpix camera.  It would screw onto your existing lens.   Many are available right here on ebay.

Oh Heck the newer phones have perfectly good cameras.  Not need for additional expense.  I've been using my phone for many years now.  I use to have an expensive camera I used, but it just isn't necessary anymore with the quality of the cameras in phones now days.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 7
latest reply