cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay taking money from sellers.

hi. i sold an espresso machine recently and have some questions about ebay.

heres the stats.

selling price: 1050 

buyer pays flatrate shipping charge of: 150

buyers total cost: 1306 after tax

i go to transfer money to my bank and find out ebay took out a bunch of money. 

promoted listing fee:156.78 

shipping:106.84 

im left with:762.97

where is the 150 of shipping? why didnt they tell me about the promoted listing charge?

im probably not the only one with this problem, but this is ridiculuos!! i cant just pay ebay 306.78 for listiing an item for one day.

side note: i bought the $106.84 shipping label through ebay.

thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

eBay took a bunch of money out of your sale based on their stated Final Value Fees?  Why, the nerve of them.  Next time, just put a $1050 price tag on it at a yard sale, and watch how fast it flies.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

i can handle the fees although they are way overpriced, but where is the 150 for shipping????????

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

The $150 for shipping was paid to you, minus the FVFs on that amount.  Sounds like even after FVFs, you made at least a $30 profit on the shipping of this one.  Were you expecting to make a $150 profit on your shipping charge?

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

What percentage was your promoted listing?   You must have put it awfully high.   You charged the buyer 150 for shipping but paid 106.84 for shipping label.  You made a profit on the shipping.    You must have really screwed yourself on the promoted listing percentage.  Don't blame ebay.   I never promote for over 2%.  

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

The $43 that the buyer overpaid for shipping was bundled in with the Total Cost on payment to you. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 45
latest reply

"where is the 150 of shipping?"

Your buyer paid it and you spent 106 for the label making a profit from it. Shipping is not a fee, it's what you charged the buyer and they paid.

As far as promoting it, you chose to do so and chose a very high percentage, about 15%. So, don't do that next time.

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

Ebay takes their standard fee on he transaction total.

The buyer paid $150 shipping.  It went to you to cover your shipping label.

The promoted listing fee was YOUR CHOICE.

YOU, the seller, decides to participate in promoted listings or not and at what percentage.

You really should learn and figure these things out BEFORE you sellsomething.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Well folks, that's one way to learn.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Promoted listings are optional @zacgoer0 and, unfortunately, you went along with eBay's recommendation on that. The numbers you gave do balance out.

Slight discrepancy in math below because I assume you rounded on the $1,306 paid by the buyer and I'm estimating sales tax.

Item$1,050.00
Shipping$150.00
Sales Tax (estimate 10% on item, not ship)$105.00
Buyer Paid$1,305.00

Subtract: 
Sales Tax sent to buyer's state$105.00
eBay Variable Fee 13.5%$176.18
eBay Fixed Fee$0.30
Ad Fee$156.78
Shipping Label$106.84

Total: 
Payout$759.91
GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

The best thing you can do is learn how the promoted listings work. I went thru a learning curve with promoted listings and it cost me. I learned quick how to promote my listings. Education can be costly. Better luck with your next sale.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Probably the $150 for shipping was paid to the company that was used to ship the item to the buyer.

Where else would it go?  

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Probably the $150 for shipping was paid to the company that was used to ship the item to the buyer.

Where else would it go?  

Shipping was $106.84. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 45
latest reply

thanks for the help. 

as i said im willing to pay the promoted listing charge. yes i think its too expensive but i realize now that it was my fault.

i still dont understand how it all figures out.

@wastingtime101, what is the ebay variable fee?

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

so where is the extra $43?

Message 15 of 45
latest reply