cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay taking money from sellers.

hi. i sold an espresso machine recently and have some questions about ebay.

heres the stats.

selling price: 1050 

buyer pays flatrate shipping charge of: 150

buyers total cost: 1306 after tax

i go to transfer money to my bank and find out ebay took out a bunch of money. 

promoted listing fee:156.78 

shipping:106.84 

im left with:762.97

where is the 150 of shipping? why didnt they tell me about the promoted listing charge?

im probably not the only one with this problem, but this is ridiculuos!! i cant just pay ebay 306.78 for listiing an item for one day.

side note: i bought the $106.84 shipping label through ebay.

thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

I mean, I can see "handling" being $60.00/hour....and don't call me Shirley.

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

Its not $30 profit. Doesn't matter how much was charged for shipping. If the seller had free shipping, the sale price would probably be $150 more. If you sell something for $1 and charge $100 for shipping its not any different if you sell for $100 and charge $1 for shipping. Why don't people get that? The only number that matters is the total (sold price+shipping).

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

It does matter what was charged for shipping.  Why don't people (i.e. sellers) get that buyers hate to pay 50% more for shipping than the actual shipping cost?

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Why do you care how much the seller charged for shipping? It was stated in the listing. There was a Best Offer option, the buyer bought the machine for $150 less then listed. Do you think they buyer would get a better deal if it was $1200 for the machine with free shipping? I'm seriously asking. 

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

It doesn't matter. It used to matter a long time ago when sellers would try to rip off Ebay by selling items for $1 and charging $30 shipping. Now that Ebay charges a FVF for shipping it makes no difference what so ever. 

Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Uh no, but the buyer would have "perceived" it as a better deal at $1200 with free shipping, than $1050 plus $150 shipping, when they can plainly see that the shipping was around $100.  And I "care" what they charged for shipping, because the OP was whining about how eBay "took" $150 out of their sale for shipping.  Maybe try reading the whole thread.

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

I do agree with you that a buyer would perceive it as a better deal with lower or free shipping. I just meant in this case it wouldn't matter because the seller was just confused about the FVF. And the seller didn't really make an extra $30, because they buyer might have offered the seller $30 extra dollars if the shipping charge was $120 instead of $150.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

So if the espresso machine sold for $150 plus $1,050 shipping, same thing, right?  And the seller didn't really make an extra $950 on the shipping.  OK.

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

"Packing materials, handling, mileage to post office, latte from Starbucks on the way home. 

It all adds up."

My selling ID is on a tighter budget. 
She usually just drives through McDonald's for a Medium Diet Coke and Medium Fries on her way home after dropping off her sales at the local post office.  

Message 39 of 45
latest reply

The selling Fees were 13.25%

Promotion Fee  Appx.   11.98%

Total                                    25.23%

Deducting 25.23% ($37.84) from the $150.00 shipping only allowed Seller to use $112.16 towards shipping not $150.00  

Message 40 of 45
latest reply

If you look at the  View Order Details for the sale it will explain how the money was distibuted.  

Here is a sample of the Payment Details section that is on that page.

stephenmorgan_1-1700722589441.png

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

@zacgoer0 wrote:

so where is the extra $43?

Do you not realize that of the $150 eBay deducted their fees of approximately $37.84 leaing you with only $112.16 to use towards shipping costs?  If you intention was to net $43 above actual cost you would have needed to charge shipping at near $200.

The selling Fees were 13.25%

Promotion Fee  Appx.   11.98%

Total                                    25.23%

Deducting 25.23% ($37.84) from the $150.00 shipping only allowed you to use $112.16 towards shipping not $150.00  

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

@zacgoer0 wrote:

so where is the extra $43?

She was referring to the money you made on the shipping.  The buyer paid you $150 to cover shipping, but the actually shipping cost was a little over $100.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 43 of 45
latest reply

I'm a day or two late to the party on this one, but I am surprised that no one brought up that the seller's title to the listing says "New" as the first word, but says "used" in the listing text. Hope the buyer doesn't do a Not as Described.

Also, the seller listed it for $1200, but took a best offer of $1050. No questions about where that $$$ went. Is the promoted fee on the sale price, or the listed price?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 44 of 45
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Labor at $40.00/hour is a RIP OFF.

Oh Oh, I don't do anything for less than $75/hour, $40 WOULD be a rip off!

Message 45 of 45
latest reply