cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's FREE SHIPPING agenda

Let's say I list a butterfly and benevolently offer free shipping for that listing.  Why do all the subsequent listings then get that (free shipping) field pre-populated with a check mark.  I appreciate the nanosecond of help that leaving the box checked provides and I understand ebay's agenda for FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!, but when I list an elephant after listing a butterfly, I'd prefer to check the box myself.

Also, local pick up is NEVER "free" of an economic cost.  The word free is still included in the local pick up shipping description in all listings.  It would be wonderful if I could add a charge for local pick up on items that I list with calculated shipping like I can with flat rate shipping.  I rarely list items with a flat rate for shipping.  If I do, I add a penny to the local pick up cost to create an other than free local pick up option because buyers are not as erudite as it relates to ebay policy.  The word "free" associated with the shipping terms often befuddles buyers.  SIMPO! ebay: just add the same local pick up cost field that flat rate shipping has to calculated shipping.  I have a niece in middle school who can help your programmers write the code to accomplish this when she's available on spring break if that will help. 🙂

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: ebay's FREE SHIPPING agenda

@positive2 wrote:

Let's say I list a butterfly and benevolently offer free shipping for that listing.  Why do all the subsequent listings then get that (free shipping) field pre-populated with a check mark.  I appreciate the nanosecond of help that leaving the box checked provides and I understand ebay's agenda for FREE SHIPPING!!!!!!!!, but when I list an elephant after listing a butterfly, I'd prefer to check the box myself.

Also, local pick up is NEVER "free" of an economic cost.  The word free is still included in the local pick up shipping description in all listings.  It would be wonderful if I could add a charge for local pick up on items that I list with calculated shipping like I can with flat rate shipping.  I rarely list items with a flat rate for shipping.  If I do, I add a penny to the local pick up cost to create an other than free local pick up option because buyers are not as erudite as it relates to ebay policy.  The word "free" associated with the shipping terms often befuddles buyers.  SIMPO! ebay: just add the same local pick up cost field that flat rate shipping has to calculated shipping.  I have a niece in middle school who can help your programmers write the code to accomplish this when she's available on spring break if that will help. 🙂

Free shipping is not free is a hard concept for many buyers.

I do like local pickup though because it gives the buyer the idea to just contact me direct next time. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Why in the world would you charge somebody who drives out to your place and picks it up? If I saw a charge for local pickup I'd hit the Back button just as fast as I could.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

How much does it cost to drive to my place to pick it up? 

If your answer is > $0.00, is it actually and unequivocally by definition "free"

Again, I add one cent to attempt to eliminate the word "free" from the shipping terms of my listings because #1 ebay refuses to and #2 local pick up is never free of any economic cost and, therefore, should not be expressed or implied in the contract.

You epitomize the type of ebay member I prefer not to transact with.  Some members make errant prima facie assumptions from what they see and read and ebay often exempts them from caveat emptor due diligence.

you assumed "drive" and "my place".  They never get to come to MY place and may not drive to the meeting place.  BTW: I blocked you as a buyer so...Snarkmate!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

There is nothing similar about a butterfly and an elephant......

If you are using "Sell Similar" to create your new listing, the "Free Shipping" from your Butterfly Listing will be the default shipping (thus the "sell similar' option) as it is carried through to the listing you are creating. If you choose a New Listing, the Free Shipping does not automatically populate. (unless you have designated that in your shipping policies)

I actually agree with you that the Local Pickup should not be Free by default.....it should be optional and determined by the seller. (although using the word Free is appropriate if the seller is not charging the buyer a fee to pick up)

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Indeed! Seller's listing pages do sometimes self-populated the Free Shipping and International Shipping options based upon prior listing selections. I reported this issue to eBay's programming department several years ago and they won't fix it. The self-population (boxes already check by eBay) may work for sellers peddling the same light-weight stuff but doesn't work for sellers peddling different size and weight items. Sellers need to visually verify the Free Shipping and International Shipping "check boxes" for each and every listing before submitting it.      

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

and the package dimensions self-populate at 7"x4"x4" and 9 ozs. for everything

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 11.39.43 AM.png

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

calculated or flat rate shipping??

this never appears when I select calculated

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

you're in flat shipping cousin

show me that same field in calculated shipping 

Doesn't exist 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I just changed one of my listings to flat shipping and added a cost to the local pickup and the listing still says Free local pickup 

ebay wants the word free in there so bad they are willing to lie about it

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

"I do like local pickup though because it gives the buyer the idea to just contact me direct next time."

That's a trait of someone personable. Sellers in the old days used to rely on being personable.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply