cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay return and MBG policies

Over a week ago, I shipped an item and it was at the buyer's door in less than 48hrs.  Unfortunately, the USPS could not complete the delivery and marked the package as "no access" in the tracking record.  Today the buyer opens a INR case.  I respond by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.  Further suggest contacting the local post office, wich hopefully still has the package.  Buyer refuses to do anything and wants a full refund.  eBay is already suggesting I give the full refund.  I know if I bring it to eBay's attention, that the package is most likely available for pick up at the PO, I'll be subjected to losing the FVFs when they rule in the buyer's favor.  Since eBay has always ruled in the buyers favor with me, even in cases of outright fraud, I hesitate to ask eBay to step in and force the buyer to go pick up his package.  I'm most likely already out my shipping cost and the item and there isn't a thing I can do as a seller.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: ebay return and MBG policies

I had one of these variations of non delivery. It was a undeliverable as addressed. Fortunately the buyer did not open a case like this buyer did to this individual. Our buyer truly wanted the package and we were able to assist her in getting it. So, what you are saying is that in this case the buyer is refusing the package because a dog or whatever is blocking their receptacle and the buyer now no longer wants the item and the money back policy says sure you gotta refund even if you do not get the package back? NO  NO NO.  This is no fault of this seller. This seller needs to call Ebay back and straighten this out before this case times out.

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

"No Access" is often an unrestrained dog problem... anyhow, they can't leave a notice if there's no access. 

Good point-- I hadn't even considered that might be the case.  Still, I do find it a bit odd that there was apparently no redelivery attempt, because around here the USPS will attempt to deliver things twice before they hold them at the PO.

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools wrote:

Over a week ago, I shipped an item and it was at the buyer's door in less than 48hrs.  Unfortunately, the USPS could not complete the delivery and marked the package as "no access" in the tracking record.  Today the buyer opens a INR case.  I respond by giving the tracking number and pointing out the no access record.  Further suggest contacting the local post office, wich hopefully still has the package.  Buyer refuses to do anything and wants a full refund.  eBay is already suggesting I give the full refund.  I know if I bring it to eBay's attention, that the package is most likely available for pick up at the PO, I'll be subjected to losing the FVFs when they rule in the buyer's favor.  Since eBay has always ruled in the buyers favor with me, even in cases of outright fraud, I hesitate to ask eBay to step in and force the buyer to go pick up his package.  I'm most likely already out my shipping cost and the item and there isn't a thing I can do as a seller.

This sounds so wrong...what are we going to do when the drone's step in...can you imagine a package dropped in a yard and a farment come's along and drag's it away...then what?  Sorry to hear about this plite of yours...hope buyer think's maybe I should call the post office...that is what I'd be telling myself  right away...I'd go pick it up...

Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Yes hopefully the package will be re delivered. That would solve the problem straight away. I get it with the long time frame getting a package forewarded back. In respect to the buyer it would be wise to refund  So the buyer does not have to wait for the  sender to get the package back. Still,the poster needs to get the package forewarded first. Then he will know it is coming back to him before he refunds.

Message 19 of 64
latest reply

I was told to either provide the buyer a tracking number or a refund. The tracking number has been on the detail page since I shipped. I still provided it again. I was also told that if I did not refund the buyer's money and he asked eBay to step in, I'd lose my FVFs. The PO in question is in NYC. I spent almost an hour on the phone today, most of the time on hold, and got nowhere. All they would tell me is that according to the tracking, there was no access on the 17th. I'm going to talk to the PO from which I shipped tomorrow. Not very hopeful but who knows.

I've dealt with eBay enough to have a good idea how this will turn out. Either I refund the buyer before he ask ebay to step in, or I end up not only refunding the purchase price & shipping but losing the FVFs. If I ever get the item back is a **bleep** shoot.

Having been taken out of hundreds of dollars by dishonest buyers and scammers, while eBay helps them in the theft.  These sort of shenanigans are now happening with roughly 10% of my items. I no longer offer any shipping on heavier or expensive items. If it continues, I might have to only offer local pick up and might as well move over to FB marketplace.

Message 20 of 64
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yes hopefully the package will be re delivered. That would solve the problem straight away. I get it with the long time frame getting a package forewarded back. In respect to the buyer it would be wise to refund  So the buyer does not have to wait for the  sender to get the package back. 

I agree, but I'd first like to know exactly where the stupid package is. By the OP's account, it's been in the buyer's town for something approaching a week now. I'd like to know what the last scan was and when that occurred. I think the first thing to do, as soon as possible, is to call that local PO and verify that the package is there. If it isn't, then determine whether it might have been delivered or is on its way back. 

The eBay tracking (i.e. the tracking as shown on your My eBay page) tends to stop at the first hint of a Delivered scan or something resembling that, even if later scans occur. I'd like to know what the USPS tracking shows on their own website.

Also, the post office has their own intranet system with more details available to them than what you can see on their public website, so visiting your own post office with the tracking number may be helpful. Ask them what they see on their intranet about it.

The main thing is that you'll have to take some sort of action yourself, because your buyer has already figured out that if he just sits around and does nothing, your money will come to him soon.

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

What would you do Mr. C if you didn't get your package...A, B, or C?  

Hi Pink Rose,

Not sure what you mean by A,B,C but I will try to answer.

The most important thing for me is how a seller handles an order that has a problem.

I would reach out and indicate that for some reason I do not have my order. If the seller then responded with the info as the OP about the problem with delivery Then I would call the post office and ask if they had a package for me and what happened to keep it from being delivered.

From there I would ask if it could be redelivered. Meanwhile I would keep the seller updated.

If there was no way to reasonablly get the package then I would contact the post office once again and ask that it be returned. From there I would track the package and once it arrived I would notify the seller that I saw it arrived. From there I would wait on the sellrs response.

Mr C

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

Go to the USPS site online and file either a lost package or a package recall claim. Sometimes online filing works better than trying to get someone from a big busy post office to help on the phone. If you file online you will not be ignored and you can even request someone to call YOU! It's very helpful.

=================================================
Search for Anything. 0 results.
Message 23 of 64
latest reply

I checked the tracking on the USPS site and the last entry is the same as shown on eBay tracking - May 17 "no access."

I don't follow tracking on my items and was not aware that the package had not been delivered until contacted by eBay about either providing a tracking number or a refund. Had I known, I would have been trying to track it down. The buyer has pretty much gone silent and won't answer my attempts to contact them. I can sort of understand, as it's been over a week and he has not received his purchase. At this point, I guess he just wants his money back.

This comes on the heels of a buyer who returned a 40 year old stereo receiver last week, as INAD. I got it back with a number of internal parts missing. Parts that required de-soldering to remove. eBay refunded the buyers money, I paid almost $100 in shipping, and when I reported the buyer, eBay thanked me by keeping almost $25 in FVF, because they found in the buyer's favor.

I am not a "bad" seller. I do my best to provide items to buyers at a decent price, well packaged, and shipped quickly. My feedback is filled with the praises of happy buyers.  Yet eBay consistently treats me like I'm the one being dishonest.  

I'm a bit POed, a whole lot frustrated, and just about done with eBay's shenanigans. This use to he an enjoyable thing. I now cringe when I see a message or email from eBay.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

"No Access" is often an unrestrained dog problem... anyhow, they can't leave a notice if there's no access. 

Good point-- I hadn't even considered that might be the case.  Still, I do find it a bit odd that there was apparently no redelivery attempt, because around here the USPS will attempt to deliver things twice before they hold them at the PO.

If it's that, they aren't likely to attempt re-delivery.  They should have notified the buyer of the access problem and told them to correct it, they probably told them the mail (all of it) is being held at the post office and they'll have to come pick it up. 

So, what you are saying is that in this case the buyer is refusing the package because a dog or whatever is blocking their receptacle...

I'm saying the post office is probably refusing to deliver mail to their receptacle, because of some safety concern... loose dogs, etc.  Here, ours refused delivery because there was a beehive nearby.   They suspend delivery until the hive is removed - if you want your mail, you have to go to the PO and get it.   It is possible, but not likely, the buyer didn't even know about the "no access" situation. 

If the buyer goes down to the post office to claim all their undelivered mail, the odds are fairly good the post office could release the package to them without scanning it delivered.  If that happens, the scan will never update from "no access", and the "lost" package will never turn up.   That may have already happened, prompting the buyer to open the claim.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 25 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools Have you called eBay, asked them to look at the tracking and give you an extension on the INR case while you work with the buyer's P.O.?

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

I have called eBay twice and been told there is nothing that the CS rep could do.  I was told to work with the buyer and/or let the claim process run its course.  Hard to work with someone who is not responsive.  Letting the claim go forward ends with me holding the bag.  

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

@heppsusedtools  Have you tried contacting the Buyer's local post office with tracking number and ask them what the problem was with the delivery?  I had a similar situation where after the purchase a Buyer asked me to write this on the package "drop over the fence" because they've had issues with packages being stolen left outside the fence ... the item was a set of glass drink coasters ... "drop over the fence" are you crazy???  I wrote the Buyer back and said I would not be able to do that due to the fragile nature of the shipment and will add Signature required.  First attempt failed and a note was left but the Buyer missed it.   When the Buyer messaged me asking where the package was I sent them a screen shot of the "attempt" by the post office on View order details.  Buyer said they would check with the post office ... another attempt was made and delivery was successful but it was nip and tuck for a few days. 

I'll be honest with you ... these are the situations where a lot of eBay policy goes right out the window.  Sellers ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for what 3rd parties do, period.  We sell it, we pack it, we ship it with an Acceptence scan and then WE ARE DONE because the package is in the hands of the carrier and passes through many hands.  Sellers have no control over the situation of any Buyer's address, where they live, what the neighborhood is like, etc.  Absolutely, 100% out of our control and we should never be penalized for an issue like you describe .... PERIOD!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 28 of 64
latest reply

Since eBay CS is of no help and the buyer won't respond at all, your only path forward seems to be in contacting his local PO to see if they have the package, and go from there.

Your own PO can help with checking your tracking number on their intranet, but I think your first goal should be to find a live person at the buyer's PO; they might even know something about what the problem seems to be at that address.

Unfortunately this is going to end badly unless you can achieve something, because eBay is obviously not going to help you.

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

@a_c_green, @heppsusedtools

@a_c_green wrote:

Since eBay CS is of no help and the buyer won't respond at all, your only path forward seems to be in contacting his local PO to see if they have the package, and go from there.

Your own PO can help with checking your tracking number on their intranet, but I think your first goal should be to find a live person at the buyer's PO; they might even know something about what the problem seems to be at that address.

Unfortunately this is going to end badly unless you can achieve something, because eBay is obviously not going to help you.

Excellent point that your own post office can probably help you ... they can probably contact the other post office easier and ask what is going on.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 30 of 64
latest reply