cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay reports Q4 2023 results today Feb 27th

For those who are interested in this stuff.

I'm expecting to hear GMV was basically flat, revenue, if up, was due primarily to first party ads , little or no mention of buyer and seller numbers (with the possible exception of some numbers for "enthusiast" buyers), and "our strategy is working" but we face "headwinds"....

But, those are just guesses. We'll know soon enough.

If you don't have the time to delve into this on your own, you can always check the summary that will be posted to the Value added resource blog later ....

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

One thing I rarely see mentioned is the "Temu effect", Temu is sucking up buyers and their money like a mega vaccum. They are taking all of that away from all the other ecommerce sites especially Amazon, Walmart and eBay and maybe to a lesser extent etsy.

The full Temu effect as far as eBay user numbers probably won't show up until later this year when buyers that have moved there in 2023 start entering the "no activity in the past 12 months" zone.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

Would you please describe what Temu is?  I remember seeing all their commercials during the Super Bowl, but I'm not sure I understand what the app is all about.

@slippinjimmy 

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Temu is a HUGE on line seller........thousands of items, most very cheap in price. All unbranded, From China though delivery is guaranteed in about 2 wks or less.  housewares to  cute clothes and lots in between.......some fairly good selling tactics.....spin the wheel, get % off, only 4 hrs left, selling out FAST, etc.  Don't want to tout them....but you should look....

Think I read that Congress is concerned about them........

@mam98031 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

The Temu app was the number one download from Google and Apple in 2023, over 250 MILLION downloads.

Temu, based in China is a marketplace pretty much restricted to manufacturers in China with Temu handling all the logistics. For North America fulfillment is based in California. There has been some chatter that they may open up for American brands/sellers.

Temu is owned by Pinduoduo Inc, they are well on their way to become the largest ecommerce company in the world. Current market cap is about US170 Billion, more than 4 times the market cap of eBay. They have been active in China since 2015 and had a GMV of US$383B in 2021.

Originally they were a China only operation dealing almost entirely in direct to consumer sales of agricultural products, the Temu subsidiary started in 2019.

It's possible they will exceed Amazon's GMV this year or next. It has been reported that they spent about 3 Billion US Dollars in marketing in the past year and may have been the single largest advertiser during this years Super Bowl.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

ebay press release for Q4 report is here:

https://ebay.q4cdn.com/610426115/files/doc_financials/2023/q4/Exhibit-99-1-ER-eBay-Q4-2023-FINAL.pdf

(as a pdf file)

and here is a quick look at eps and revenue:

reported fourth quarter EPS of $1.07, $0.04 better than the analyst estimate of $1.03. Revenue for the quarter came in at $2.6B versus the consensus estimate of $2.51B.

eBay sees Q1 2024 EPS of $1.19-$1.23 versus the analyst consensus of $1.13.

eBay sees Q1 2024 revenue of $2.50B-$2.54B versus the analyst consensus of $2.53B.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Just skimming the info......

Global GMV up 2%, basically flat when adjusted for FX

US GMV flat

International GMV up 4%

Active users down 2%

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  Pretty much as expected...from what I can see ,not terrible, actually pretty steady, but honestly, not a lot of forward momentum aside from ad revenue. (that's just a quick look)

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

• Returned $1.9 billion to shareholders, including $1.4 billion of share repurchases and $528 million paid in cash dividends.

I really don't understand how share repurchases work. Is the idea that the company gets to keep that much more profit to expand and /or upgrade rather than pay out profit as dividends?

How many shareholders will be dividing those dividends? Put another way, what will be the dividend for Q4/2023?

Here we go:  27c per share up from the last quarter.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/4072594-ebay-inc-declares-missing-dividend

Apparently the value of each share rose, so shareholders are happy with the company.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/ebay-inc.-q4-profit-increases-beats-estimates

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

Ebay's still doing just fine considering the broader economic environment.  

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Ya'll forgot to mention Temu ships your order in a black garbage bag wrapped in tape.

First time I ordered on Temu I did it as a lark expecting it to all be trash and boy was I surprised that I ended up not hating a single thing I ordered.

Did it again...ordered about a dozen different tiki mugs. Expected nothing but trash again. I did not get trash.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

One thing I rarely see mentioned is the "Temu effect", Temu is sucking up buyers and their money like a mega vaccum. They are taking all of that away from all the other ecommerce sites especially Amazon, Walmart and eBay and maybe to a lesser extent etsy.

The full Temu effect as far as eBay user numbers probably won't show up until later this year when buyers that have moved there in 2023 start entering the "no activity in the past 12 months" zone.

SHEIN is another in textiles, but yeah my friend...  Web competition has grown up with a variety of models.  Other POS like WhatSnot <--- HA!  Poshiegra' etc.  That atop the big retailers now all going "Web is Frontline" versus sideline, yeah... Been saying it for months, "Competition for the dollar."

In Brick & Mortar their applying AI across store, regional demand to cut down or ramp up towards overstock or under supply in retail store backends, warehousing and more.  AI is being developed by handfuls of development houses around the globe to identify retail arbitrage literally taking video and recording of people at retail locations.  AI compares to other retail outlets like say Three Walmart or Best Buy stores and that becomes yet another gray area.  Sure they can reserve the right to do business but the step farther becomes very gray.

If Gamestop sent employee's raiding Walmart Game whatever sales then turn around and resell that online or in stores that's a predatory practice.  Yet online, me going to Walmart snarfing up the Black Friday Game Specials and listing them out at Amazon is a what?  Amazon didn't send me to Walmart but the exact same reasons WHY its deemed predatory between Walmart and Gamestop example exist yet I am the predator per se.

Now I've also read that there's some sorts of toying with QR codes to identify where product ends up.  But when you think about ok, "QR Code for Walmart #477" gets printed on boxes?  That makes NO sense at all or perhaps even domain related, Domain #32 encompassing Boston and outlaying areas.  Still makes no sense.  What happens products delist?  Pretty unlikely everything gonna be destroyed or packaging strip go on right?  Back in the day some that happen, probably still does.

For example when we'd been in the PC Software delist channels ya see those requirements of us or things come to us stripped of retail packaging.  In other words we be told by the publisher that if you buy any of these you need strip retail packaging or make sure the retailer pricing labels are gone as sometimes those affixed right at point of manufacturer, Walmart that was common same with CompUSA.  That is to say unsold mastercases of product returned to publishers distributor as it all consign under Net terms complete master cases not even opened, still sealed.  So we buy and it comes with CompUSA pricing tags all over it that we'd have to strip off.

Now that said I've asked some PolyTickle's just out of my own curiosity about arbitrage numbers which I understand be a rather hard gig to come up with amounts.  I've only one response and that data I was told is a 2018 estimate between 30 and 40 billion dollars and this is major retailers not minors, thrifts etc.  To me that seems rather high but... Well but?

Your a smart fella, think that number out of the question?  Obscene?  Wonder what it is now?

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

@kenneth686321 

I agree. ebay is no where near collapse, despite what some YouTubers and others might say. 

Of course, that doesn't mean I agree with everything ebay is doing, but as an ebay seller, I'm not worried about the company suddenly going under. 

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

This is all true. Temu is already impacting Etsy, and I'm wondering how fast that will accelerate. There is already a lot from Ali-Express on the site, and sellers on Etsy are now reporting seeing Temu products there - I expect if Etsy admin doesn't do something about that site, it'll turn into Temetsy. I actually purchase from Temu from time to time and have found service to be reliable, and offering items I can't find anywhere else. 

Anyway, I know that's already on the radar for Etsy.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 47
latest reply