cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay charged me shipping costs

I sold an item and I had the buyer pay shipping.   

I then bought a label.

Now for some reason ebay is charging me what the buyer paid in shipping. 

Why?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Managed Payments? 

If you used MP to purchase label then it will come out of the money being processed(usually takes a day or two)

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@kinggoddard wrote:

I sold an item and I had the buyer pay shipping.   

I then bought a label.

Now for some reason ebay is charging me what the buyer paid in shipping. 

Why?

If you bought a label on ebay...yes they charged you for it.

The buyer pays you the cost of shipping, you then use that money to buy the label.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Sure, but the shipping cost I paid for my label wasn't exactly the same as what the buyer paid in shipping.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@kinggoddard wrote:

Sure, but the shipping cost I paid for my label wasn't exactly the same as what the buyer paid in shipping.

You're charging flat rates for shipping. If you didn't get enough money from the buyer to cover shipping, then you need to either charge more or use calculated shipping.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for everyone responding.  Let me be clear.  My shipping label cost me less than what the buyer paid.  

I calculated weight and size and everything exactly and put my UPS label on the box.

Now on my invoice from ebay it is nearly identical price Ebay is charging what the buyer paid me for shipping. 

Am I missing something here?  This doesn't seem right.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

You describe the item. The shipping price for that item is the rate you would pay if you took the item to a post office and mailed it. However, if you mail it though eBay, you get a discount. eBay doesn't know which you're going to do so it charges the buyer the USPS rate, not the eBay rate.

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Just curious, how long have you been selling on ebay?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Shipping Cost Buyer Paid = 100

My Shipping Label Cost = 85

Ebay Invoice Fee = 100

Why is the ebay invoice fee 100?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Managed Payments fees based on (purchase price + shipping costs + sales tax) plus 30 cents transaction fee.    This would be based on $100 shipping costs (that your customer paid).   EBAY has know idea what the "discounted label price" will be until after you print your label.

Don't know what you mean by "EBAY invoice fee $100 fee"?    Are you referring to the fact that fees charged on $100 shipping or did you get billed $100 for something else?

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

They have it labeled as such.

Header = Supplemental service fees

Body = UPS Shipping Label Fee

I'm not talking about the

(purchase price + shipping costs + sales tax) * (ebay fee%) + .30 = fee total for item

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@kinggoddard wrote:

Shipping Cost Buyer Paid = 100

My Shipping Label Cost = 85

Ebay Invoice Fee = 100

Why is the ebay invoice fee 100?

UPS and FedEx labels purchased on eBay are just estimated costs. Surcharges and exact costs are reconciled on your monthly invoice. Typically you can find a breakdown of what the exact label cost included.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Oh so the label I paid for isn't actually what it costs to ship my item?

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I looked at a few of your listings and you offer a flat rate cost (not calculated) to ship most of your items and all were USPS (not UPS).  So if you enter the correct dimensions & weight when you printed your label using USPS, that  actual cost is charged to you immediately.   If you used UPS, then it's not handled the same.  

Since you entered a flat rate in your listings, which looks like an estimated guess, then it seems highly likely the actual cost would not match exactly your estimate. 

I may have completely missed what you are asking about, though, because I read it twice and am still not sure. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

1. Click on "Shipping Label" under tab "Orders", then click on "UPS ...." on Column "Shipment Details", how much is the "Label Cost" in Pop-up window?

2. Click on "All Transactions" under tab "Payments", find "Shipping label for item number ......", how much is the amount?

3. In your invoice, how much is the amount?

Three numbers should be identical. If not, have ebay call you and speak to someone in its "Financial Department".

Based on my understanding, supplemental service fees is used when ebay has a hard time reconciling your account. It is basically UPS Shipping Fee in your case.  

Message 15 of 31
latest reply