cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay to add Report option to messages

eBay removed the report link from messages so many years ago, but they'll be adding it back in, making it easier to report bad actors.

Friend sent me a screenshot from the eBay Seller Check-In that happened today.

reportbuyer-messages.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Tagging elizabeth@ebay since she was posting on a related discussion. Could you take a look at the OP here and check in with Phil Broadbent or his team to see if this feature is still in the works and if there's an ETA for it?

Hey @wastingtime101. We just heard back from Phil who stated: "There is a feature that went live on desktop web last week.  The product team is continuing roll out across user experiences over the coming weeks."

Elizabeth,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Wow.......so finally a way to report scammers/contact me off ebay messages.........that would be good......

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Yep, agreed.

Does anybody remember which posters fought on this subject a few years back? @ittybitnot might have been one of them? I know there were a few of you, but can't remember who. Tag them if you know. They may want to hear eBay is reverting their stance on this.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Good news, but as with all things Ebay, I'll believe it when I see it 😒

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Yes, I was one of the posters that was upset that the "Report Message" feature was dispensed with.  I believe the "blue" Trinton said at the time that eBay had no intention of ever putting it back.   In general, if I recall correctly, it was stated that eBay had some new fancy "algorithm" that would prevent these fraudulent scammer messages from ever appearing in a My Ebay Message ever again, so the report feature was no longer necessary and was thus removed.  

Of course that was nonsense, and there was an obvious increase in the text me scammer and change of address scammer messages, feedback extortionists, potty mouths, etc.  and they continue to this day.  In addition, one could not report a 'text me' scammer or 'change of address' scammer on site.  One would have to contact customer service unless the person was a winning bidder or buyer of record. 

Though just my opinion, I figured that eBay got rid of it because they just didn't want to be bothered with the increasing incidences.  Employing humans to monitor and authority to act was likely not very cost effective, and bots booting buyers would not be acceptable.  After all, sellers were the ones being duped or annoyed by the scammers, not eBay.  And eBay's attitude had always been (as in the words of a former VP) "We want all buyers, even if they are bad." 

If they put it back, especially a one click report button not tied to a buyer of record, I would be (pleasantly) surprised.  

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Tagging elizabeth@ebay since she was posting on a related discussion. Could you take a look at the OP here and check in with Phil Broadbent or his team to see if this feature is still in the works and if there's an ETA for it?

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hi @wastingtime101. I'll be happy to reach out, and I'll touch base once I hear back. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey @wastingtime101. We just heard back from Phil who stated: "There is a feature that went live on desktop web last week.  The product team is continuing roll out across user experiences over the coming weeks."

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Hey that's great news elizabeth@ebay - appreciate you checking on that for us.

So a phased rollout and if we don't see it yet, we'll see it in the near future.

Any plans for mobile or will this be website-exclusive for now?

GLORIOUS!

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I had to check because my account is always opted in to stuff early, and sure enough - there it is:

reportmessage.png

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Thanks for bringing up this topic again.  I just looked in my buyer account messages, and I have it as well  UNLESS it is a message from eBay!  LOL...

The other messages that have the option, but I am hesitant to click the "report" button to see if there is a dropdown or it is an auto report via one click.  If it is the latter, it would not be a nice thing to do to my 'trading partners' LOL.  Since I don't sell, I can't try it out on a text me scammer. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

haha, same here. I was too hesitant to test it in case I accidentally reported someone with the one click.

I don't think it will work that way but didn't want to risk it. Generally when you report on eBay you have a list of reasons to select why you're reporting.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

good news!!!  don't have it yet.........but looking forward to it........

My "evil" twin that resides in the other half of my brain wonders if the winter update is near.......comparatively, lots of "fixes" in last 2 days ...........

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hey that's great news elizabeth@ebay - appreciate you checking on that for us.

So a phased rollout and if we don't see it yet, we'll see it in the near future.

Any plans for mobile or will this be website-exclusive for now?

@wastingtime101, great news! This will be rolled out to the rest of user experience over the next few weeks. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Is it report button for buyers too? 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply