cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay sales drying up?

I've been selling on eBay for more than a decade now, and for the past year have noticed ever decreasing sales. It used to be that the more items I listed, the more sales I generateed, and I was quite happy.

But for the past several months, sales have seemed to dry up. I used to average a little more than two sales per day, but now I'm down to about one sale every other day. I'm a Power Seller, and Top Rated seller, yet neither of these ratings seem to mean much when it comes to net sales.

This isn't the first drop I've seen, the last big drop was when eBay and Google got into a spat, and Google stopped putting eBay items on the top of it's search results. That spat cost me some $2500 per month in sales at the time. I eventually compensated for the loss by increasing my number of listings. But lately that doesn't seem to work.

Some months ago I started listing things on Etsy, and got a few sales over the first month. Oddly, my sales on Etsy have now exceeded my sales on eBay, which was something I never expected. Etsy sales have increased, while eBay sales continue to trend downward.

I'm hoping  eBay will wake up one day and stop trying to be Amazon. If I want something from Amazon, I will go to Amazon. eBay used to be the world's biggest flea market, and that was not a bad thing, because it was fun. Buying and selling was more risky, but in case eBay never noticed, people like to take risks, however much they may grumble.

If eBay wants to be another Amazon, why should I sell on eBay? eBay's rules and standards are so high that selling from Amazon is now no more difficult, and Amazon has a much larger market than eBay. I'm setting up an Amazon store now, and will try it out just for kicks. If I'm selling more stuff on Etsy than on eBay, perhaps I'll sell even more on Amazon.

Wake up eBay! "Get back to where you once belonged!"

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: eBay sales drying up?

How nice to read a post about slow sales, because heaven knows only every 3rd or 4th thread on this forum discusses the same topic. Now how about discussing how sellers can only leave positive feedback?

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Found this on another current thread.  Read this 10 year old Forbes article and you will see that ebay is in serious trouble and has been declining for some time.  

It is scary to think that ebay hasn't been able to get out of their own way for over 10 years

https://www.forbes.com/global/2008/1027/040.html#e5a965cd1a06

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Well, we sure can't discuss what a great job ebay is doing with promoting traffic now, can we?

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

You're in Japan, selling internationally.......forgive my curiosity, but where were the majority of your sales........  US or other countries......and have both decreased?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

just my guess...maybe less people are using and needing and wanting 35mm  vintage cameras..

I know it cool and some still use them..want the look and feel of film....BUT really...just maybe the market for cameras ain't what it use to be....on any site...

and the obvious is ....film?   developing it?  I've been driving around town for 30-40 years looking for the FOTOMAT!

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@2015.belln wrote:

Well, we sure can't discuss what a great job ebay is doing with promoting traffic now, can we?

Well, the other day I saw an Ebay ad on TV so they must be doing something. https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dCI4/ebay-its-happening-on-ebay-song-by-bleu

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

eBay continues to be its' worse enemy. Full speed ahead in their thinking.  The reality is eBay is dead.  Let's face it.  There is nothing eBay can do at this point to stop the hemorrhaging.  The patient will remain on life support and will eventually be declared dead. It is simply too late for eBay to turn this massive blunder that they own around. The very name eBay will soon join the ranks of Sears, KMart, Circuit City and Toys-R-Us, to name a few. The sooner we as sellers accept this and make business model changes the better off we will be. We can see the iceberg closing in ahead of us.  You have the ability to toss over a life raft and jump ship before going down with it.  It's your choice.  I know I continue to make changes to migrate off eBay.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I have started shopping Amazon . Got disgusted when searching for specific items such as a 5.5 circular saw blade and having to spend my valuable time sorting through all the 10", 8", 7.25", 6.50", 3" Bandsaw blades, jigsaw blades, etc.
If it keeps up I will shop elsewhere for good. I Needed "16" " tires not 15, 14, 13, 18, or 20" tires damnit !
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

It seems the people that complain the most are listing stuff that nobody wants or is in a saturated market. Clothes, shoes, books, records, etc.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

My Etsy sales are also doing much better than my eBay sales. I have started moving all of my items to my store over there.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@2015.belln wrote:

Found this on another current thread.  Read this 10 year old Forbes article and you will see that ebay is in serious trouble and has been declining for some time.  

It is scary to think that ebay hasn't been able to get out of their own way for over 10 years

https://www.forbes.com/global/2008/1027/040.html#e5a965cd1a06

About 11 years ago they sold out to Amazon drop-shippers and Chinese.  It's been all downhill since.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@oldwestgold wrote:

eBay continues to be its' worse enemy. Full speed ahead in their thinking.  The reality is eBay is dead.  Let's face it.  There is nothing eBay can do at this point to stop the hemorrhaging.  The patient will remain on life support and will eventually be declared dead. It is simply too late for eBay to turn this massive blunder that they own around. The very name eBay will soon join the ranks of Sears, KMart, Circuit City and Toys-R-Us, to name a few. The sooner we as sellers accept this and make business model changes the better off we will be. We can see the iceberg closing in ahead of us.  You have the ability to toss over a life raft and jump ship before going down with it.  It's your choice.  I know I continue to make changes to migrate off eBay.

Bezos has already stated Amazon will be joining that list!

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@pingpong517

and the obvious is ....film?   developing it?  I've been driving around town for 30-40 years looking for the FOTOMAT!

Umm.

These cameras are being purchased by hobbyists who do their own developing.

Or just put the cameras on a shelf and admire them.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@sangetsu03

eBay can't go back to where they once were from a strategic standpoint. Logically, whether we like it or not they simply can't. I would suggest everyone in this community read "The business of the 21st century" and similar books if you haven't already.

That book really needs to only be 50 pages, not 100, (Kiyosaki is EXTREMELY redundant!) and I'm personally not interested in how network marketers are using this book to lure people into that model but I'd recommend not skipping through it as the latter half also contains insights. The book has given me several new ideas and strengthened a few old ones. For those of us that are a little more "woke", we've realized for awhile now something else needs to be done and we can't depend on eBay or complain about what it used to be. That's wasted time and energy. 

Yes, eBay is dead but what are we doing about it? Visiting it's community boards daily or hourly and searching for some form of insights that will never come? It's us that needs to wake up and change, not eBay.

The biggest mistake I made here and so did tens of thousands of sellers on this platform is not using the days of dozens to hundreds or thousands of sales to grow our own business. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not making that mistake again. I had emails I never used, data I never used, social media I didn't properly grow...why?

eBay and these platforms take away the hard work or the illusion that they do only to yank the rug from under our feet when they no longer need us. This is nothing to take personally and to start personal attacks on eBay staff, including Wenig over. This is the darker side of business. This side is not always a friendly endeavor, if at all and it's purpose is to make money, not new friends to go to the movies with. 

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 15 of 23
latest reply