cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay hiding Pay Pal Button?

Just saw this over on ECB. 

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/pl/2019/2/1549052184.html

Seems amazing how out- of- touch eBay is. When I think they couldn't possibly be MORE out of touch they prove me wrong.

HOW many clicks does it take a buyer to search, (maybe) find, check out, and pay now?

We have vulture capitalists screaming at eBay to improve the marketplace, but eBay shrugs it off and does this. Incredible.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Can't one use their CC along with / through PP and get BOTH the "cash back" option AND the extra PP buyer protections?

My credit card with benefits I use most often is not used online.  It has sky is the limit limits and the only time the company ever called about a charge is when my husband used it in Big Lots.  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@gopetersen wrote:

The worst thing about this mess is that CONSUMERS DON'T KNOW eBay is migrating to Managed Payments.

They buy, they try to pay, and some of them can't and they don't understand why (and many are not aware that there is a forum and don't CARE, they just want their stuff).

It's ludicrous to make a change like this without informing the buyer about what is going on.

Consumers don't need to know, by the time Managed Payments comes out of beta (with only a tiny number of sellers) buyers will be able to use PayPal just as they do today.

Right now on eBay and since forever there have been many more sellers that do not accept PayPal and use their own merchant accounts (albeit through the PayPal back end...invisible to buyers) than the 3500 currently beta testing Managed Payments. Even when PayPal was at it's peak here only about 80% of eBay transactions were paid for via PayPal.

I can't believe so many people are now in love with eBay's "Accepted Payments Policy" given how despised it was when implemented. Buyers and Sellers alike screaming "I will not use PayPal!!!!!!"

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

What I've seen in recent purchases is that if I buy with an account that is linked to my PayPal account then PayPal shows up without needing to click anything. If I buy with an account where I previously used a credit card instead of PayPal then PayPal is "hidden" in the "show other option" section.

Yes, it seems like they've set it to default to whichever payment option you use most often.  I always use my credit card, so when I bought something the other day, it had pre-selected my credit card.  My dad uses PayPal most of the time and when he tried the same thing it gave him PayPal as the option.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Itty, do you always use that card to pay fees or have you used it just a few times to pay fees? 

Have not used it in over a year on ebay.  I have used it occasionally through PayPal to purchase things.  That is all I know.  I DO NOT have that "make it easier to pay" thing that allows a one click type payment.  I clicked on "check out" on an ebay screen thinking it would give a choice (even if PayPal is on page 2) to fund my payment to the seller, but it never got that far.  Next time I buy something I will see how it goes.  

Edited to note:  I did not have to enter my card numbers to make this payment.  It was done simply clicking Check Out.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Hmmm, itty, I think it's time for you to page a blue and ask how ebay was allowed to use that card without you selecting it.  Why is it the default payment?

But wait until Monday; they usually don't work weekends like we do.  sunglasses

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Consumers don't need to know, by the time Managed Payments comes out of beta (with only a tiny number of sellers) buyers will be able to use PayPal just as they do today.

jimmy, I have a feeling this latest hide the button game is yet another beta test in preparation for the advent of adyen (love to write that).  Not all buyers are seeing this.

I truly don't understand how ebay is able to legally set as default a payment type that was used just occasionally, with another payment type already picked by the buyer as the default payment.

Unless, of course, there is something in teensy tiny font in 83 pages of Payments legalese about ebay being able to pick and choose the buyer's payment method.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

I remember that! There were people who CLOSED their accounts and were never heard from again!

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Managed Payments is not in beta.  It is in its initial rollout.  That has been confirmed more than once by the blues.

Will buyers really be able to use PayPal just as they do today, or will they have to take the extra steps to use it?  Anytime something is hidden or has diminished visibility, there will always be users who will not see or pursue the extra steps, which it looks like ebay is now trying to implement. 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply