cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay has a warning on a message from potential buyer that I have them blocked but I don't

Received a message from a potential buyer today that eBay wouldn't let her buy an item because she'd already bought from me within 10 days and she hadn't. I don't have a rule about 10 days. But in the message was a warning from eBay that I have this user on my blocked list, but I don't. The sender's username was different from the username mentioned in the warning, but you could tell it was the same person who created the two ID's.  The person bought it with an entirely different ID. What would explain the warning when they aren't on my list? Could it be an abuser who creates lots of accounts and they are blocked under one of a vast array of ID's? Does eBay recognize and link multiple ID's for the same person? That would be nice.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: eBay has a warning on a message from potential buyer that I have them blocked but I don't

@maubrn wrote:

broto_64 are you able to read my buyer preferences? I hope that's  private or it could be useful to the wrong .......

Would a potential buyer get that specific a message stating the 10 day rule? 

@maubrn : This topic has come up before but I cannot remember now whether the message did reference the 1-purchase-every-10-days limit, or if we figured it out from the circumstances.

One other thing you might want to check is your Buyer Requirements Activity Log, which will show you who's bounced off your Requirements settings recently, and why: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/blockedbuyeractivities 

Too Many Unpaid Items violations do not identify the culprit (but they do give you his Feedback count and date of signup). "Buyers in countries to which I do not ship" are identified. Not sure what other violations may be listed, but see what you find on yours.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

Re: eBay has a warning on a message from potential buyer that I have them blocked but I don't

@a_c_green wrote:

@maubrn wrote:

broto_64 are you able to read my buyer preferences? I hope that's  private or it could be useful to the wrong .......

Would a potential buyer get that specific a message stating the 10 day rule? 

@maubrn : This topic has come up before but I cannot remember now whether the message did reference the 1-purchase-every-10-days limit, or if we figured it out from the circumstances.

One other thing you might want to check is your Buyer Requirements Activity Log, which will show you who's bounced off your Requirements settings recently, and why: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/blockedbuyeractivities 

Too Many Unpaid Items violations do not identify the culprit (but they do give you his Feedback count and date of signup). "Buyers in countries to which I do not ship" are identified. Not sure what other violations may be listed, but see what you find on yours.

I just checked mine - I have 11 pages of them! It's the same people trying to bid 15-20 times on the same single item, usually countries I don't ship to. If the people with too many strikes contacted me, I'd probably exempt them as long as they're not really low FB.

C.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Thanks that's good to know. She made about 7 offers that day and possibly a month earlier twice on a different ID if it was her. To save a couple dollars when u live in a house bought at 1-1/3 mil, SMH. 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

OMG! Glad u were able to free yourself.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Thank you that's excellent to bear in mind. Am calling them soon. If buyer put a phishing link in there I don't want to ship to them.  

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

That link you provided brings up the "content not available" message.

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Yes there was just that one warning message from eBay on the first message she sent me.

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

lacemaker3, thanks that was very interesting! I felt a little wary by the two different ID's, eBay had one, she had one, she sent 2 different emails with possibly 2 different IDs, and I remember one had no feedback, then there was 4 feedbacks. I asked her what was the name on the account that wouldn't let her buy it. Her answer showed yet another user Id- screenshot enclosed. And the message giving her name that I asked for was very sweet, and almost too much info. For "not trading on eBay very often" she sure has a lot of user IDs. I'm not mailing it until I speak to eBay. Too many IDs, too little feedback, and a weird note from eBay. I'll ask if they sent it and post what they said. No I didn't click on that "unblock user" that seemed bizarre, and that weirdness fits the scam dynamic you shared about. 

I had Terapeak in the late 2000's and it was free or cheap. Now it's expensive but I miss it badly. Do you get your money's worth from it?

@maubrn, thanks for letting us know that you didn't click the link!

I'm not certain that the one who bought the shirt in the end, was the same person who sent the phishing link. I can't see enough of the buyer's user ID to see if it is similar or not. The scammers are not really interested in buying anything at (or close to) full price. They may have been planning to steal something else that you had listed, they wouldn't necessarily contact you from the item they were planning to steal. Or they might have wanted to hack a selling account for other reasons.

Terapeak is now free for any account that is registered as a seller, so you should be able to use it again. It's in your Seller Hub, under the Research tab.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/research?marketplace=US

lacemaker3_0-1713520895232.png

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn while it's always good to keep an eye out for possible scams/phishing, from your reading your posts here I think it's at least possible you may be experiencing a technical issue I've seen a few other reports of as well.

There have been multiple reports from buyers receiving that message about being blocked because of supposedly having purchased from that seller in the last 10 days and saying that is an error because they had not made a purchase.

That should only be happening if the seller has that setting enabled in their Buyer requirements and the buyer actually made a purchase or was currently winning a bid on an auction, but that doesn't seem to be how it is working, at least for some buyers right now.

buyerreqs.jpg

Most of the other reports I've seen were in a situation like yours where the buyer was attempting to make offers (you said your potential buyer had tried to make 7 offers that day).

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Ask-a-Mentor/Error-when-trying-to-make-an-offer-on-an-item/m-p/3441568...

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/Bugs-Bugs-Bugs/m-p/7600626#M311471 

One buyer even posted on Twitter that they did not get the message on the first offer they tried to send, but when that offer was rejected, they then received the message when tried to make another offer.

buyerreqstweet.jpg

That and some of the other reports make me think it's possible eBay may be experiencing a technical issue where rejected offers could be being considered by the system as that buyer "currently winning or having bought" the item, which could potentially then trigger that block.

eBay has been making a lot of changes to the Offers functionality to try to get rid of unpaid items, such as making it so an item remains active and available to be purchases unless/until a buyer who was sent an offer actually pays for it, so I'm wondering if something hasn't gone crosswise in their tweaking and testing that could be causing this kind of issue.

If someone is blocked from purchase due to those rules, their user ID won't appear in your block list - it's just programmatically done if eBay believes they meet whatever criteria is set for the block.

If that link in your message prompting you to "unblock" the user legitimately came from eBay, it may be a link to quickly add the person to your Buyer Requirements Exemption List so that the rule would not apply and they would be able to purchase.

I definitely understand your caution, especially with them using multiple IDs, and would not recommend clicking it without speaking to customer service first just to be safe, but I think it is at least possible this technical issue could be in play with what you are experiencing.

devon@ebay kyle@ebay elizabeth@ebay  just making you aware of this - are there any tickets open for issues with (possibly rejected) offers being treated as winning an item or making a purchase, possibly triggering buyer requirement blocks, and if not...can you get this reported to the appropriate team please?

Oh and also, can you confirm with the team who handles Messages if that warning and option to unblock is something that is legitimately added by eBay in some cases or if it would be a sign of possible phishing or scams?

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

I do see how the warning happened in light of all the attempted offers. 

I  was asking about that warning from eBay (?) that I have a user blocked whom I don't, and the IDs didn't match; the one being used, and the one eBay referenced. Another ID showed up when the user answered my question on their name on the account. 

Also, that eBay warning doesn't appear in the message when I read it from eBay's Messages on site.

It's only in the message when I read the message from my personal email. Does eBay have that function to  individualize/isolate a warning ? How would a phisher be able to add and isolate it ? 🤔 Never got  through yesterday, am trying shortly.

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

I do see how the warning happened in light of all the attempted offers. 

I  was asking about that warning from eBay (?) that I have a user blocked whom I don't, and the IDs didn't match; the one being used, and the one eBay referenced. Another ID showed up when the user answered my question on their name on the account. 

Also, that eBay warning doesn't appear in the message when I read it from eBay's Messages on site.

It's only in the message when I read the message from my personal email. Does eBay have that function to  individualize/isolate a warning ? How would a phisher be able to add and isolate it ? 🤔 Never got  through yesterday, am trying shortly.

@maubrn so in the message in the screenshot above where you see that warning from eBay - that's not actually 2 different IDs in that message, it looks like at the top eBay used the eBay user name and at the bottom (message about unblocking) they used the email (basing that on the .com at the end after the part you blurred out.) But it's all still referring to the same user, it just happens to be that their eBay name and their email are very similar but not quite exact.

Basically it would be like if my user name here was LMVAR_42 and the email I registered my account with was LMVAR42_jw @ "emailprovider" .com (completely made up just for illustration and hoping it doesn't get edited lol) - both of those reference the same user/person/eBay account, so in that case you would not be dealing with two different accounts, if that makes sense.

I know you said the person who ended up buying it *was* a different account but it seems like in that message, they gave you their name showing that they were the same person?

Some people do have more than one eBay account for perfectly legitimate reasons and if their initial attempt under one account was blocked due to the technical issue I mentioned above, it definitely could make sense to try with a different account and would make sense that might actually work if the technical issue is being caused by what I think it is.

That's not to say it couldn't be something sketchy, just that there could also be some plausible explanations that could make it make sense too.

The fact that the warning only appears in the app but not on desktop does make me think it's possibly a legitimate eBay thing - phisher/scam would have a harder time with that. It's also not uncommon for eBay to have things that are optimized for or only available in the app but not the desktop experience.

Definitely curious to hear what support tells you if you are able to get through!

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

Oh I'm terribly frustrated that I wasted 2 hours of time trying to speak on these issues with 2 foreign agents. I got nowhere. I uploaded screenshots on their doc uploaded. One guy said they only look at the messages in the eBay system, that I should delete and disregard that email from eBay with a warning in my personal email. I have no idea how that warning got there. It's a pretty good hacker if they customized things to take advantage of an innocent buyers email who tried 7 times to make offers save $2 !! Coincidence? I don't feel confident about shipping it.  (: 

eBay can afford to pay Americans who work at ebay! A poster said the outsourced foreign agents give wrong advice. I noticed that. On another issue, he insisted I got paid for an item I didn't get paid for. Said he sees the payment, what color I asked, he said black. I said the solds are in black, the pmts are in red. Then he said to use desktop, go to the solds, look below where the fees were deducted, in "other details", "you'll see it". I just hung up.   😱

So I didn't learn anything. Who put that warning in there and had the time to customize it to be similar to the sender's id? No answers. It will go to the IT Dept. In the earlier eBay days you could call a phone number. Getting past that chat system is a kind of torture.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn  ugh I'm sorry you had that experience. Are you active on Facebook or Twitter at all? If so, eBay's social support channels tend to at least be staffed by US agents.

https://twitter.com/AskeBay

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@maubrn  ugh I'm sorry you had that experience. Are you active on Facebook or Twitter at all? If so, eBay's social support channels tend to at least be staffed by US agents.

https://twitter.com/AskeBay

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness 

Be careful with this. Many questions are answered by bots. You only get a human if a human needs to review.

I've had first hand experience talking to the bots on FB.

C.

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi, I just want to know how someone put that warning that an eBay foreign agent said wasn't from eBay, into a message another user was sending? How would that work? Is my email address compromised? 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply