cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about irrational buyer reporting me (or so they say)

A buyer is making false accusations about me. I am trying hard to maintain professionalism and need to know if I should report them too.  Is it worth it? She is  sending me message after message saying "**bleep**" to me after I am trying to help her. Other things also. No outwards threats though. She says that she reported me. Is there anything I should do such as reporting her. I will block her.  TIA.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Is this a buyer who bought something from you? If so, tell her that if she's unhappy to open a return request. 

If it's not a buyer who purchased something, ignore them, add them to your BBL and if you don't want to see what they say, delete the messages.

Otherwise, more information is needed.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Members are expected to maintain a level of decorum and decency when communicating with other members.  If this member is failing to meet that expectation, it is perfectly allowable to report them for their language and word choice.  eBay's even made it easier by adding a "Action" drop-down on the Message screen - and I believe you can report those messages from there.

Definitely a BBL entry - whether they purchased or not.  If they did, you don't want to "disappoint" them again, do you? 🙂  And if they are not, save yourself the trouble of disappointing them at all.  And the best part?  If you believe a member is a new/alternate ID for that same original member, you can report them for circumventing the BBL - that's a no-no as well.  Just be very sure - it will usually show in word and phrase choices, but some folks are just not bright enough to not nyah-nyah it in your face.  Which only makes it that much easier to report.

Address the issue(s), ignore the attitude.  Don't sink to their level but float above it.  This will also help when/if your conversation is reported by that member.  If they are the one 'stirring things up' and making outrageous demands and claims, then make double sure you're floating and not sinking.  eBay will take it from there.

It's sometimes the hardest part of the job.  27yrs on eBay and several years before on BBS networks and I still find myself needing to get up, walk around, and flush the instinctive 'fight back' reaction out before responding to the concern so poorly expressed.  It's much less frequent these days, but it hasn't gone away completely.  Some folks apparently just have a talent for that kind of mischief.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sounds like a contestant for the best buddy list. I would refrain from any further communication. If eBay hasn't sent you anything regarding a report I would ignore the threat of being reported and move on. By all means report the messages. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Report you for what?

If he/she is reporting you for something you haven't done, I wouldn't worry about it 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Report you for what?

If he/she is reporting you for something you haven't done, I wouldn't worry about it 

I've read in numerous places that in certain types of 'violation' reports, eBay will investigate BOTH members.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@zztop11 wrote:

A buyer is making false accusations about me. I am trying hard to maintain professionalism and need to know if I should report them too.  Is it worth it?

I doubt it, really. You don't give us much context about how this all started, but in general I would say that the best approach is probably to just stop responding. Without an audience giving her any kind of response, she will eventually (sooner rather than later) move on and find someone else to get mad at.

If you keep responding, you're just giving her new material to work with, regardless of how logical or how right you feel you are.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply