cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay has a warning on a message from potential buyer that I have them blocked but I don't

Received a message from a potential buyer today that eBay wouldn't let her buy an item because she'd already bought from me within 10 days and she hadn't. I don't have a rule about 10 days. But in the message was a warning from eBay that I have this user on my blocked list, but I don't. The sender's username was different from the username mentioned in the warning, but you could tell it was the same person who created the two ID's.  The person bought it with an entirely different ID. What would explain the warning when they aren't on my list? Could it be an abuser who creates lots of accounts and they are blocked under one of a vast array of ID's? Does eBay recognize and link multiple ID's for the same person? That would be nice.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

eBay has a warning on a message from potential buyer that I have them blocked but I don't

@maubrn 

It could very well be someone with multiple ID's and yes it could be that person.  I would heed eBay's advice.  They probably caught up with the buyers IP number and that's why they may be contacting you.  Did you receive the notice thru eBay messages? I would definitely take their advice.  My guess is that this person has been problematic with other sellers as well.  Don't chance it.

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

Received a message from a potential buyer today that eBay wouldn't let her buy an item because she'd already bought from me within 10 days and she hadn't. I don't have a rule about 10 days. But in the message was a warning from eBay that I have this user on my blocked list, but I don't. 

Have you only received information about this "block" from messages the buyer sent you?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I received it on the first message she sent me mentioning that the system wouldn't let her buy it.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Well she bought it with a different buyer id. I posted a screenshot of the message with the warning in answer to Angelo, maybe I shouldn't have posted it (?) I was going to call eBay but she bought it before I could. I think I'll call them before I mail it. I wish I'd copied down the addresses of buyers I've blocked to compare.  Can addresses be retrieved that are from a year or two ago?

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn 

That's what I figured.  It is my belief that this person has caused issues with other sellers and eBay is just giving you a heads up.  Don't waste your time calling eBay.  They are outsourced overseas agents who do not work for eBay.  Most of the time their replies and info are either incorrect or completely false.  Should you need more info from a reliable source go here:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  I would reach out today if this continues to be a concern.  They're very good about getting back to you as well.  It may be 24 hours, but they do respond.  Give it a  shot. 

Good luck to you!

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Who knows, the buyer could've also have you confused with a different seller... I'm not sure what I would make of it but the 10 items/ day or whatever setting is in your buyer preferences, set here:
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

broto_64_0-1713447619320.png

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

Well she bought it with a different buyer id. I posted a screenshot of the message with the warning in answer to Angelo, maybe I shouldn't have posted it (?) I was going to call eBay but she bought it before I could. I think I'll call them before I mail it. I wish I'd copied down the addresses of buyers I've blocked to compare.  Can addresses be retrieved that are from a year or two ago?

Only if you saved the purchase payment notifications that are copied to your email address (i.e. the offsite email address that's tied to your eBay account). Those will show the Shipping address received with the payment.

Regarding blocks and such, eBay tracks accounts by their internal ID number, not by whatever text name the user picks at any given time. Otherwise, of course, users could evade your blocklist by simply changing their username, which can be done every 30 days, if I remember right.

I have not seen such a warning given out before, but this might be something new.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

I received it on the first message she sent me mentioning that the system wouldn't let her buy it.

Screenshot_20240418-031146~2.png

@maubrn,

Did you click on the "Unblock sender" link in that email?

I hope not. If you did, you should change your eBay password immediately, just in case.

[FYI - on a side note - even if the message was from a scammer, they might not have anything to do with the buyer who actually bought the shirt. On Terapeak it shows that it was sold at full price. There was also a declined offer on it.]

There are two different (but similar) user IDs partially shown in your screenshot. Are both of those user IDs still members, or do either show "not a registered user"?

That is not a kind of email that eBay normally sends, and they would not normally give you a link to unblock someone like that.

BUT ... there have been a number of hacking scams that have happened recently, which started when a seller receives a message from a member, saying that the seller has to make some change in their account to allow the member to purchase, complete with a helpful link to make the change.

But the link goes to a phishing website, not eBay, and the hacker steals the seller's login information that way. They end up hacking into the seller's account, and most often (at least recently) they send an extremely low offer to another buyer to steal something that the seller has listed for sale. [Of course, the hacker could potentially do a lot of other nasty stuff after they hack the account.]

Here's one seller's story about this:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Hacked-and-Scammed-by-a-buyer/m-p/34412473#M2385989

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@maubrnYou can go to https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock and Click on Manage Blocked Buyer List and you will see a list of usernames that you've blocked. Good Luck.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

lacemaker3, thanks that was very interesting! I felt a little wary by the two different ID's, eBay had one, she had one, she sent 2 different emails with possibly 2 different IDs, and I remember one had no feedback, then there was 4 feedbacks. I asked her what was the name on the account that wouldn't let her buy it. Her answer showed yet another user Id- screenshot enclosed. And the message giving her name that I asked for was very sweet, and almost too much info. For "not trading on eBay very often" she sure has a lot of user IDs. I'm not mailing it until I speak to eBay. Too many IDs, too little feedback, and a weird note from eBay. I'll ask if they sent it and post what they said. No I didn't click on that "unblock user" that seemed bizarre, and that weirdness fits the scam dynamic you shared about. 

I am trying to figure out how to search user ID's on my android and haven't figured it out yet. Going to try to check the address against my BB's. 

I reduced it in the listing by $2 and told her so, so she did get her disc yet it shows full price. 

I had Terapeak in the late 2000's and it was free or cheap. Now it's expensive but I miss it badly. Do you get your money's worth from it?

Screenshot_20240418-160227~4.png

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

Yes I checked the various IDs against my list, they're not there.

What I can't find yet is how to search user ID's on my android.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

Screenshot_20240418-031146~2.png

@maubrn 

eBay didn't send you that message, both messages are from your "buyer". (I think that's what @angelno9 was asking you).

Don't click links, it's a hack. Clicking "unblock seller" will give you a page to log in to eBay and they'll have your password.

The scammers are getting much more sophisticated in trying to steal passwords to give themselves access to your account (possibly to create coupons).

Unknown if the person who bought the shirt is the same person who messaged you, if it was two different IDs, it's probably not the same person. But if you do speak with eBay by phone they can look into the messages you received, advise it's not from them, and confirm if that person who sent you the phishing link bought your shirt or not.

C.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

broto_64 are you able to read my buyer preferences? I hope that's  private or it could be useful to the wrong .......

Would a potential buyer get that specific a message stating the 10 day rule? 

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@maubrn wrote:

broto_64 are you able to read my buyer preferences? I hope that's  private or it could be useful to the wrong .......

Would a potential buyer get that specific a message stating the 10 day rule? 

No, the screenshot is from his account, he's blocked out parts of it to not share private info.

No one can read your preferences, and no blocked buyer knows why they are blocked. I had some auction interference some 10 years ago and blocked anyone with less than 5fb from buying more than one item every 10 days (or whatever it was), so my interferer would bid on one item at a time, I'd cancel and block, they'd open a new account, and do it again tomorrow. But at least there was only one bid to cancel instead of 200 because this loon was bidding on everything in the store, up to the moon so no one else would win, and not paying for anything. I had him literally thrown off eBay 5 times before he learnt not to bid on my items.

C.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply