cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay forcing seller to pay return shipping even though listing stated otherwise?

I sold some DDR3 memory on eBay, the listing number is 132171110127. In the listing I said "Since they're new and I don't know for sure they were tested by G.Skill, and I didn't personally test them, I've listed them as 'New - Other' and I'll give 14 days for returns, but you pay return shipping."

The person who bought the memory claims they don't work, and opened a case for return:

Return opened: May 18, 2017
Return shipping: seller pays
Return reason: Doesn't work or defective
Comments: I ve been trying to make these work for hours and I got no response. They don t work properly.

I sold something and clearly indicated that buyer pays return shipping. However eBay's claim system changes it so the seller pays. Is this legal and why didn't eBay tell me that they can do that?

In eBay shipping charges document it says "If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges, regardless of the seller's return policy." But I did describe it properly.

I wrote the buyer and asked him to pay return shipping according to the listing (which also mentioned the free PayPal return shipping). He hasn't replied, and the open case appears to be running out of time. I don't know what will happen then.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: eBay forcing seller to pay return shipping even though listing stated otherwise?

What will happen is eBay will take the money out of your account. It sucks.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: eBay forcing seller to pay return shipping even though listing stated otherwise?

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 17 of 17
latest reply