cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Shopify App Discontinued

FYI for anyone who uses Shopify and eBay - the eBay Shopify app will be discontinued at the end of the year.

"The app will no longer be accessible after December 31, 2022. To continue managing your eBay listings through Shopify after that date, you will need to migrate to a third party app. Of course you can always manage your listings on the eBay website directly at any time."

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: eBay Shopify App Discontinued

This stinks, I pay to have Shopify and Pay fees on Ebay - now I have to pay to have a third party app to connect shopify to ebay.  That's crazy, how is a small business suppose to make it?  

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

@bamom1 wrote:

This stinks, I pay to have Shopify and Pay fees on Ebay - now I have to pay to have a third party app to connect shopify to ebay.  That's crazy, how is a small business suppose to make it?  

The rest of us that don't use Shopify have been dealing with that for years as we sell cross-platforms. We never had the luxury of a free app to migrate listings across various platforms. Nothing is easy, but if you rely on income from both marketplaces then you will find a way to make it work with either time or money spent.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Ebay does it again. Everything for them, nothing for the Seller. I spent months customizing and it cost us so much time and $$$. I have been informed by the ebay channel that is eBay doing this and they have just as much access to eBay reps as we do.

We previously had an Ebay store and started a separate Shopify store (moving our store of 20+ years to Shopify). The past 6 months we began slowly merging our Shopify inventory with our eBay store using the eBay channel supplied with our subscription . The sole purpose was to have our inventory linked. It was an arduous task in which we individually updated and customized the eBay html (which is substantially different from our Shopify store) and then deleted the old ebay listings. To accomplish this merge, it required that I incorporate variants which are nothing more than a weight change (making 1 item 6 different variants to give the customer the weight selection)...so I had to adopt the same sku for each item and use a different app that would daily update each variant, since there is no way to do that now through the eBay seller panel when there are numerous variants.

This is all to say. I have gotten an email today that they are discontinuing the eBay channel January 1. Completely destroying all my investment in building all these pages. To make matters worse, our business is seasonal and so they are discontinuing at the height of our season. Our inventory will quickly be completely off and eBay will quickly start giving us defects.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

It's bad news. I totally relate as am in the same situation. After looking around at third party apps, I will revert to manually listing. It will be and has been an enormous task. Esp, because not one app offers best offer option. Not happy. 

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I’m so furious about this. I have spent thousands of dollars on both an eBay store and Shopify subscription and only justified the costs because it made selling more or less streamlined. This is a terrible decision by eBay. Has anyone used any of the paid syncing apps through Shopify?

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

I'm so with you on this! I can't believe it! Was it an eBay decision or Shopify? I haven't received my email yet even telling me this is happening. I happened to catch it online. I don't see how doing this would benefit eBay, it just benefits third party apps making more money. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@lartrainer wrote:

I'm so with you on this! I can't believe it! Was it an eBay decision or Shopify? I haven't received my email yet even telling me this is happening. I happened to catch it online. I don't see how doing this would benefit eBay, it just benefits third party apps making more money. 

@lartrainer the notification I linked to is signed "The eBay Team" and by all indications I can find, this appears to have been an eBay decision.

Keep in mind, sometimes benefits come in making money, sometimes they come in cutting costs - the development and support of this app is not without cost and it could be they've decided those costs are no longer worth bearing.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Welp this is about to sting. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@valueaddedresource,  @mostlytoner_4 and others,

The main reason is around the seller experience... it’s a better experience for the seller - the top third party provider apps are rated higher than the EBSH (eBay Shopify app).

We encourage sellers to check out these alternative or manage their listings & orders directly on eBay. 

Check out the top-rated 3PP apps on the Shopify app store or these...

Thank you for selling on eBay!

Brian

Join us at eBay Open this September! eBay.com/ebayopen
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Let's be honest here folks......Ebay is super threatened by Shopify........their open source development runs circles around Ebay's entire development team.

Since Shopify is publically traded I would not be shocked if they created some type of a super search engine / database that you could opt into for a 5% fee

A "Shopify Network" like this would effectively end Ebay

HK

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@paraquip wrote:

Let's be honest here folks......Ebay is super threatened by Shopify........their open source development runs circles around Ebay's entire development team.

Since Shopify is publically traded I would not be shocked if they created some type of a super search engine / database that you could opt into for a 5% fee

A "Shopify Network" like this would effectively end Ebay

HK

@paraquip the Shopify Amazon App was discontinued last year under very similar conditions too.

Honestly I think it has more to do with the marketplaces just not finding it to be worth the cost to continue to develop and support these free apps themselves.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I don't know about the app, but I've heard great things about inkFrog web version.

Thanks for the list, Brian. I have a buddy that's looking for alternatives to the eBay Shopify app so I'll past that list on for him to research the best fit.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I don't know about the app, but I've heard great things about inkFrog web version.

Thanks for the list, Brian. I have a buddy that's looking for alternatives to the eBay Shopify app so I'll past that list on for him to research the best fit.

@wastingtime101 I have in the past used InkFrog to integrate a BigCommerce store with eBay and my experience was not great. Once a month or so something would "break" in the connection to eBay so inventory numbers weren't syncing and we would sell items that were out of stock. When it happened we'd get InkFrog support pointing the finger at eBay and eBay support pointing the finger at InkFrog.

That was a couple years ago and just one experience, so by no means a representative sample - hopefully they've improved support since then at least because at the time it was tough to get a hold of anyone.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Gee, not really highlighted in the last big circle-jerk, pump-up fest a couple weeks ago...

Everything they are doing to sellers on this site are overwhelmingly viewed bysellers as unhelpful/negative, not helpful/positive.

There is no denying its deliberately planned and known they are negatives for sellers.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply