cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Protection - Requiring Photos On Returns?

In the Q3 earnings call yesterday, CEO Jamie Iannone said:

Based on community feedback, we've reduced another pain point for trusted sellers by increasing protection against fraudulent returns by requiring photos and providing returns shipping credits.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/10/27/ebay-inc-ebay-q3-2021-earnings-call-transc... 

I'm assuming the return shipping credit he's talking about is the $6 credit for false INAD that was part of the Top Rated Seller additional protections from Fall 2019 update.

But I'm not sure what he meant about requiring photos to provide protection against fraudulent returns.

As a Top Rated Seller, my most recent "not as described" return certainly didn't require the buyer to upload a photo and it is in fact a false INAD - item was listed as 12" x 9", buyer states in return comments that he received 12" x 9" but needed 12" x 12".

I'm pretty sure if there had been a change to policy requiring buyers to provide pictures on returns that it would have been big news around here, so I'll admit I'm stumped.  Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: eBay Seller Protection - Requiring Photos On Returns?

Is this what you saw when you went through the SNAD motions, @katzrul15? This is what I'm seeing. I didn't proceed further than this because I wasn't returning or filing anything - just wanted to see the screen.

SNAD.png

GLORIOUS!

March shipping tip: Size matters. Enter accurate package dimensions on the listing form and the shipping label.
Message 46 of 75
latest reply

Yes.  If you try to confirm w/o adding photos, it prompts you to add photos to advance.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 47 of 75
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Yes.  If you try to confirm w/o adding photos, it prompts you to add photos to advance.

So eBay is assuming that all their buyers have the ability to take and add photos. Yes, I have a camera ... and old Sony Mavica so first I would have to charge it, then I would have to find a disk with some space to add the photos and then I'd have to find that little gadget that plugs into my computer to hold the disk to download the photos ... humm, at that point I would assess the value of the return and if it wasn't much I would just say nope and throw the broken item in the trash.

You can upload 10 photos? That would be fun ... one photo of the broken item and 9 photos of various things like my horses, my dogs, my cats, my barn, my front yard . LOL. This could get fun.

Message 48 of 75
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

What photos can you add for "Missing parts or pieces" for a fake delivery where nothing at all arrived because the "seller" uploaded an actual tracking number which was legitimately delivered to it's rightful recipient elsewhere in your zip code? 

3kufu9ysfgy9sfg9ys9ys9yfsb9yk3.jpg

Perhaps, instead of dead ducks, something like this?

HJAH7Z4RZZFXHKATOBS3OYTGZ4.jpg

http://expressandstar.com/news/viral-news/2019/01/29/shopper-sends-empty-hand-after-retailer-asks-fo...

Message 49 of 75
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

I have neither a digital camera nor a phone with a camera. Will I just be disallowed from requesting a return?

On a SNAD, I think "Yes".  On a standard return, I would think "no".

When I tested this, it would not let me advance without uploading pix of the "damage" I was wanting to outline as the reason for the SNAD.  I would presume if you chose fake, non-authentic, it would require as well.

I had a 'Doesn't seem authentic' return that was initiated on Sept. 26th. Not sure if that was before or after the SNAD photo requirement, but this one did NOT have any photos uploaded by the buyer.  I don't even know why he chose the El Fako return reason, as his comment was just "The item is not up to standard.  Thanks." Like, nothing about what he thought was inauthentic or why.   I guess it's possible that he tried to do an INAD but couldn't (or didn't feel like) taking photos, so he backed out, tried this one and found it didn't require photos.  And theoretically some buyers may do that exact series of trials (or just learn from here or somewhere in social media that the 'Doesn't seem authentic' claim is the photo requirement workaround that still guarantees an accepted return with shipping paid by the seller).  
I suspect it was something else with this guy though, because of the item.  I think he was just disappointed about something that he would have known if he'd read the description and looked at all the photos.  Hey, I try to warn all buyers; since I'm going to describe condition in the description box anyway, I use the stupidly separate Condition box to say: "He who clicks Full Description can read what he might regret not reading." Confucious, 485 B.C.   But of course dummies are still gonna dummy.  So, upon realizing he bought something with a characteristic he didn't like but couldn't say it wasn't described that way, just picked the inauthentic claim.  I even wrote to him while waiting for the package to come back, asking what was inauthentic about the item, but he didn't reply.  

Message 50 of 75
latest reply

I assume you already know that the shareholder conference prepared notes included this bit, but if not here you go:

"The next focus category we're applying the innovation playbook to is motors, parts and accessories. Among the changes we are making is to take our entire parts inventory and add it to the eBay Motors app, creating a one-stop shop for vehicles and parts enthusiasts. We are excited by the potential of bringing together one of the world's largest vehicle selections with hundreds of millions of parts in one customized experience. We're exploring further changes to parts and accessories that leverage our strong market position to capture more untapped growth."

Message 51 of 75
latest reply

@gurlcat 

It appears this change just started last week.  Pretty recent change.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 52 of 75
latest reply

I am also a TRS with the + and all that jazz

I recently  tried to check out on my dasboard to see  just how many of my 16 returns are for SNAD and could not figure it out

what I did learn was that all of them were auto approved

that is the newer jargon for the MP program where all returns are  approved if ebay wants it that way

I am pretty sure its in the fall seller update for 2020.I joined MP exactly 1 year ago

auto approve is just ebays way of saying you need to step up and show some responsibility or  we will make you take it back

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 53 of 75
latest reply

They would be auto approved if you offer free returns.........it would be your setting, not ebays.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 54 of 75
latest reply

this is wScreenshot (13).pngthis is what is in the fall seller update from 2020 and it appears that it applies to anyone in MP

I am not really sure what to make of it except that ebays wants stuff approved no matter what

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 55 of 75
latest reply

Based on your post,  Sellers still handle their own remorse returns, items arrived damaged and missing parts and pieces, etc. 

The fall update just went into effect - are you saying you had 16 returns in the last 30 days or less?

Your coding of automatic returns was likely tied to your previous free returns policy, correct?

(Thanks for sharing the new language from the Fall update)

Posting ID Only.......
Message 56 of 75
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay can you help us out here? Is there some new seller protection being tested or do you have any idea what Jamie was talking about?

velvet@ebay  jasmen@ebay  can you give us any details about this test?

Message 57 of 75
latest reply

You can bet this is going to start a firestorm among the buyers. The first reason is going to be exactly what you said eBay is making an assumption that every buyer who files a NAD case has the ability to take and upload images. Probably a bad assumption. It is also a major shift from the previous MBG policy. It will be interesting to see how firmly eBay stands behind this or if it is just a smoke screen to provide sellers with a false sense of some minimal sort of protection. 

Message 58 of 75
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

So eBay is assuming that all their buyers have the ability to take and add photos. Yes, I have a camera ... and old Sony Mavica so first I would have to charge it, then I would have to find a disk with some space to add the photos and then I'd have to find that little gadget that plugs into my computer to hold the disk to download the photos ... humm, at that point I would assess the value of the return and if it wasn't much I would just say nope and throw the broken item in the trash.

You can upload 10 photos? That would be fun ... one photo of the broken item and 9 photos of various things like my horses, my dogs, my cats, my barn, my front yard . LOL. This could get fun.

I didn't make the rule, I just tested it as it wanted to see....LOL

I am guessing there will be Buyer push back and this could push an already angry buyer to not hassle with it, pick UP the PHONE and call their CC company to do a Chargeback.  That would be FUN, no?  (not)

Posting ID Only.......
Message 59 of 75
latest reply

tyler@ebay can you help us out here? Is there some new seller protection being tested or do you have any idea what Jamie was talking about?

velvet@ebay  jasmen@ebay  can you give us any details about this test?

Hey @valueaddedresource! There's currently a pilot going on, but we don't have specifics to give out as to who all is a part of it. We also know photos won't work for every scenario, but we're always looking for ways to provide additional info to our sellers where possible, so we'll see how this pilot goes and what we can learn from it. Ultimately, if buyers are found to be abusing things, then action will be taken like it is now. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 60 of 75
latest reply