cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Protection - Requiring Photos On Returns?

In the Q3 earnings call yesterday, CEO Jamie Iannone said:

Based on community feedback, we've reduced another pain point for trusted sellers by increasing protection against fraudulent returns by requiring photos and providing returns shipping credits.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/10/27/ebay-inc-ebay-q3-2021-earnings-call-transc... 

I'm assuming the return shipping credit he's talking about is the $6 credit for false INAD that was part of the Top Rated Seller additional protections from Fall 2019 update.

But I'm not sure what he meant about requiring photos to provide protection against fraudulent returns.

As a Top Rated Seller, my most recent "not as described" return certainly didn't require the buyer to upload a photo and it is in fact a false INAD - item was listed as 12" x 9", buyer states in return comments that he received 12" x 9" but needed 12" x 12".

I'm pretty sure if there had been a change to policy requiring buyers to provide pictures on returns that it would have been big news around here, so I'll admit I'm stumped.  Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: eBay Seller Protection - Requiring Photos On Returns?

@katzrul15 wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Thanks @popblox ! That could be it, though if it is I'd have to say that is a stretch to say the least (not by you, but by Iannone, which is totally possible considering the source/context).

Has anyone actually *seen* any increased seller protection from uploading photos to payment disputes?

This says "payment disputes", not "claims".  Isn't a payment dispute a "chargeback"?  I don't think they're talking about an SNAD.

@katzrul15 Yes, same difference. Since unauthorized charge and INR disputes only require we confirm the tracking number, I was thinking this is specific to SNAD Payment Disputes - since those types of disputes/chargebacks are the only thing that currently involve a seller adding a photo.

Message 16 of 75
latest reply

What Ianonne said could be interpreted in many ways. We won't know what he really meant unless someone from eBay clarifies it.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 75
latest reply

tyler@ebay can you help us out here? Is there some new seller protection being tested or do you have any idea what Jamie was talking about?

Message 18 of 75
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Based on community feedback, we've reduced another pain point for trusted sellers by increasing protection against fraudulent returns by requiring photos and providing returns shipping credits.

I'm pretty sure if there had been a change to policy requiring buyers to provide pictures on returns that it would have been big news around here, so I'll admit I'm stumped.  Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

Guessing here:

"Trusted Sellers" means a select few in an unannounced pilot? It could (in part) explain why @bigdeals.etc was sent nasty pics of dead ducks on a recent return request. If his buyer was forced to upload pics, the buyer decided to mess around with it.

I think you’re onto something here. Glad you tagged me because I didn’t see this post until now. And I just did some checking on my account. Out of my opened returns, I have 8 SNADs… which includes “Elmer Fudd’s” duck SNAD. What’s interesting is that ALL EIGHT SNADs have at least one photo uploaded to the return. The rest of my returns (7 remorse) do not have any photos uploaded to them… but their defense why would a buyer even do that?

I have four open payment disputes, none are SNAD though. Three unauthorized and one INR. None of them have photos. I’ve gotten SNAD payment disputes before but never have I seen photos uploaded to those. I’ve only had four SNAD payment disputes ever filed against me. All of these were from about feb - may 2021. None of those have any photos uploaded to them.

Also I decided to look back on my closed SNAD (eBay returns). Between now and around 9/22, I’ve had about 13 SNADs and 12 of those all have a photo attached to it. Only one of them didn’t… dated around 9/25. Prior to 9/22, there are a bunch of SNADs that don’t have photos in them. Btw in case you’re wondering, a bunch of these SNADs were false SNADs lol. I don’t want to bother searching thru my closed remorse returns.

Hope all this info helps.

Message 19 of 75
latest reply

Was unable to open an INAD return yesterday without uploading pics.

But seems it will stop and prevent only a tiny % of wrongful returns. A buyer gets thinking, hmmpfh, I'm going to open a bad return, oh no I gotta upload a photo now? Turns around and leaves, probably not.

Message 20 of 75
latest reply

Blowing smoke, it's what CEO's do.

Message 21 of 75
latest reply

Just for the record, I'm in my 50's...

At my age I have found I can not tolerate reading or listening to speeches (reports, whatever) from higher ups (and I mean way up top, not just managers or supervisors but presidents and CEO's and such), the sheer amount of chaff, bluster and nonsense these individuals unload has a tendency to irritate me something terrible.

Don't get me wrong, every once in a while there is a good one in midst of it all.

But most of them...

I prefer to have happy days.

I ignore them just like they ignore me.

Message 22 of 75
latest reply

@kobunji wrote:

But seems it will stop and prevent only a tiny % of wrongful returns. A buyer gets thinking, hmmpfh, I'm going to open a bad return, oh no I gotta upload a photo now? Turns around and leaves, probably not.

Yeah, the only returns it will stop are from buyers who can not be inconvenienced that much, whoever thought that the photo would in fact stop frivolous or erroneous returns is... Well see, I'm telling you I get irritated something terrible just thinking about this.

Message 23 of 75
latest reply

"I'm also proud that eBay will be carbon neutral for our offices and data centers in 2021"  Because everyone is working from home! LOL

Message 24 of 75
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

I’ve gotten SNAD payment disputes before but never have I seen photos uploaded to those.

I’ve only had four SNAD payment disputes ever filed against me. None of those have any photos uploaded to them. 

Wondering could you ever receive photos in a "Goods defective or not as described" credit card chargeback (i.e. SNAD payment dispute) @bigdeals.etc

Have we heard of any of the various, disparate, independent card issuers ever requiring their cardholders to upload photos into a chargeback?

And if a cardholder did send photos to their card issuer, how would those photos pass through 

1. from the card issuer 

2. to Paypal or Adyen as the merchant 

3. to an eBay payment dispute 

4. to show you the seller? 

This might be why none of your SNAD payment dispute have any photos?

Message 25 of 75
latest reply

@bctk5292 wrote:

This might be why none of your SNAD payment dispute have any photos?

Yup. You're probably right. I was stating that in response to the people wondering if it pertained to payment disputes or ebay returns.

Message 26 of 75
latest reply

@kobunji wrote:

You wouldn't believe how many buyers I've spoken to who claimed to not know how to attach photos or claimed "there's no way to upload it" within ebay messages. They might just be saying that to me because there isn't much incentive for them to provide such photos (since they maybe know ebay will ultimately side with them anyway).

Message 27 of 75
latest reply

Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

I'm thinking the CEO doesn't even know what he was referring to there.  He was just reading something written for him. 

Message 28 of 75
latest reply

Just like the customer service reps...clueless.

Message 29 of 75
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Guessing here:

"Trusted Sellers" means a select few in an unannounced pilot? It could (in part) explain why @bigdeals.etc was sent nasty pics of dead ducks on a recent return request. If his buyer was forced to upload pics, the buyer decided to mess around with it.

I think you’re onto something here. Glad you tagged me because I didn’t see this post until now. And I just did some checking on my account. Out of my opened returns, I have 8 SNADs… which includes “Elmer Fudd’s” duck SNAD. What’s interesting is that ALL EIGHT SNADs have at least one photo uploaded to the return. The rest of my returns (7 remorse) do not have any photos uploaded to them… but their defense why would a buyer even do that?

I have four open payment disputes, none are SNAD though. Three unauthorized and one INR. None of them have photos. I’ve gotten SNAD payment disputes before but never have I seen photos uploaded to those. I’ve only had four SNAD payment disputes ever filed against me. All of these were from about feb - may 2021. None of those have any photos uploaded to them.

Also I decided to look back on my closed SNAD (eBay returns). Between now and around 9/22, I’ve had about 13 SNADs and 12 of those all have a photo attached to it. Only one of them didn’t… dated around 9/25. Prior to 9/22, there are a bunch of SNADs that don’t have photos in them. Btw in case you’re wondering, a bunch of these SNADs were false SNADs lol. I don’t want to bother searching thru my closed remorse returns.

Hope all this info helps.

Thanks @bigdeals.etc and @kobunji that does help!

That's the first I've heard of SNAD returns requiring buyers to upload pictures.  Not sure how effective it will be, time will tell, but if they really are moving in that direction I'll at least give credit where it is due for doing *something*.

Now if they would just make it official so we know exactly what is going on, which "trusted sellers" qualify for this protection and when etc. so we don't have to guess, that would be great. 

Message 30 of 75
latest reply