cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Protection - Requiring Photos On Returns?

In the Q3 earnings call yesterday, CEO Jamie Iannone said:

Based on community feedback, we've reduced another pain point for trusted sellers by increasing protection against fraudulent returns by requiring photos and providing returns shipping credits.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/10/27/ebay-inc-ebay-q3-2021-earnings-call-transc... 

I'm assuming the return shipping credit he's talking about is the $6 credit for false INAD that was part of the Top Rated Seller additional protections from Fall 2019 update.

But I'm not sure what he meant about requiring photos to provide protection against fraudulent returns.

As a Top Rated Seller, my most recent "not as described" return certainly didn't require the buyer to upload a photo and it is in fact a false INAD - item was listed as 12" x 9", buyer states in return comments that he received 12" x 9" but needed 12" x 12".

I'm pretty sure if there had been a change to policy requiring buyers to provide pictures on returns that it would have been big news around here, so I'll admit I'm stumped.  Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

I do not expect anyone in that position in the ebay ranks to know anything about how ebay works or what it is or does.

Right now the most pressing point is getting the top tier their bonus', make share holders happy and get out.

It is nothing but a shell game, just look at the board of directors. You think any of them have ever searched for a used doohickey? Do you think any of them shop sub-retail looking for bargains? Any of them code websites? Any of them even know second or third hand someone that sells on ebay? You think any one of them have ever taped a box closed? How many do you think do their own taxes?

Message 2 of 75
latest reply

I just went and read the article and heres what I learned

"additionally, we will reduce value chain emissions from downstream transportation by 20% in the same time frame. To reduce emissions from good shift using our platform, we will partner with our logistics providers to encourage low-carbon alternatives. I'm also proud that eBay will be carbon neutral for our offices and data centers in 2021" 

we need some  more of that good shift

how about using some plain old words instead of obfuscation

mumbo meets jumbo is all I can say

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 75
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Based on community feedback, we've reduced another pain point for trusted sellers by increasing protection against fraudulent returns by requiring photos and providing returns shipping credits.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/10/27/ebay-inc-ebay-q3-2021-earnings-call-transc... 

I'm assuming the return shipping credit he's talking about is the $6 credit for false INAD that was part of the Top Rated Seller additional protections from Fall 2019 update.

But I'm not sure what he meant about requiring photos to provide protection against fraudulent returns.

As a Top Rated Seller, my most recent "not as described" return certainly didn't require the buyer to upload a photo and it is in fact a false INAD - item was listed as 12" x 9", buyer states in return comments that he received 12" x 9" but needed 12" x 12".

I'm pretty sure if there had been a change to policy requiring buyers to provide pictures on returns that it would have been big news around here, so I'll admit I'm stumped.  Anyone have any idea what he might have been referring to there?

@valueaddedresource 

Remember that email we got from eBay on 10/13/21? It was almost impossible to find anything significant, but I did see one minor change that involves "seller protection" and "photos":

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 16.10.21.png

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

I can only assume that the addition of the "s" to photograph is what Lannone was referring to.

Message 4 of 75
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

I do not expect anyone in that position in the ebay ranks to know anything about how ebay works or what it is or does.

Right now the most pressing point is getting the top tier their bonus', make share holders happy and get out.

It is nothing but a shell game, just look at the board of directors. You think any of them have ever searched for a used doohickey? Do you think any of them shop sub-retail looking for bargains? Any of them code websites? Any of them even know second or third hand someone that sells on ebay? You think any one of them have ever taped a box closed? How many do you think do their own taxes?

@monster-deals  I definitely agree with you on all those points - however, I do expect when a CEO of a company is reporting on quarterly results and talking to investors, that the things he tells them about what the company is doing should be actual things that exist. 😊

I know realistically it doesn't always happen....but we can hold them to that expectation any way. lol

As a seller, that line certainly caught my ear while listening to the call - like I said I would imagine it would be big news around here if pictures were required as part of some kind of seller protection.  I'm just trying to figure out what that might be.

Message 5 of 75
latest reply

Thanks @popblox ! That could be it, though if it is I'd have to say that is a stretch to say the least (not by you, but by Iannone, which is totally possible considering the source/context).

Has anyone actually *seen* any increased seller protection from uploading photos to payment disputes?

Message 6 of 75
latest reply

@monster-deals  I definitely agree with you on all those points - however, I do expect when a CEO of a company is reporting on quarterly results and talking to investors, that the things he tells them about what the company is doing should be actual things that exist. 😊

My expectation is that he was riffing on something that he heard a bit about but didn't understand. I am sure there is something in there that has some truthiness to it but I wouldn't hold my breath and something that fundamentally important being announced in a throw away line smacks of tone deafness to me.

Message 7 of 75
latest reply

"additionally, we will reduce value chain emissions from downstream transportation by 20% in the same time frame. To reduce emissions from good shift using our platform, we will partner with our logistics providers to encourage low-carbon alternatives. I'm also proud that eBay will be carbon neutral for our offices and data centers in 2021" 

we need some  more of that good shift

how about using some plain old words instead of obfuscation

mumbo meets jumbo is all I can say

This is all a line of **bleep**. Once again eBay thinks it is part of the logistical process, Amazon wanna be I assume, when in fact they have absolutely nothing to do with the process other than providing the ability create and print labels. EBay is not involved in any of the actual physical movement of anything. The probably don't hold a lot of leverage over USPS, UPS, FedEx or DHL. 

I seriously doubt eBay has any clue what the emissions are from logistical operations let alone how to measure a 20% decrease. 

Message 8 of 75
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Remember that email we got from eBay on 10/13/21? It was almost impossible to find anything significant, but I did see one minor change that involves "seller protection" and "photos":

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/payment-dispute-seller-protections?id=5293

I can only assume that the addition of the "s" to photograph is what Lannone was referring to.

Each and every listing on eBay (with the exception of the big Chinese and corporate sellers who are allowed to use stock photos)  has at least one photo of the items condition prior to shipment. What possible reason would they have for wanting people to upload something that only the AI bots are going to "see" before ruling against the seller?

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 9 of 75
latest reply

@friskya wrote:

@popblox wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

Each and every listing on eBay (with the exception of the big Chinese and corporate sellers who are allowed to use stock photos)  has at least one photo of the items condition prior to shipment. What possible reason would they have for wanting people to upload something that only the AI bots are going to "see" before ruling against the seller?

My guess is, based on the raging temperature in the eBay "community" and the quarterly 5% drop in buyers, eBay probably felt they needed to issue a press release that included something addressing the severe lack of seller protection on this platform.

Then, some person who has never sold on eBay decided it would be a great idea to add more photos to INAD payment disputes, because, despite the fact that it makes no difference whatsoever, they could just tell all of us there’s been “improvements” because they added an 's' to photo. Two is better than one, that's an improvement (right?).

What’s it called when you give somebody something that’s actually nothing at all? I don’t know, but to say I’m even remotely surprised is an understatement.

Message 10 of 75
latest reply

Well if it's true it will help with ins claims. Asking for proof of damage is not an unreasonable request. 

The downside is many just return it because they changed their mind but they say it's damaged/doesn't work or match the description to stick the seller with the shipping. Now I believe buyers will be making sure it's not as described. 

Message 11 of 75
latest reply

Guessing here:

"Trusted Sellers" means a select few in an unannounced pilot? It could (in part) explain why @bigdeals.etc was sent nasty pics of dead ducks on a recent return request. If his buyer was forced to upload pics, the buyer decided to mess around with it.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 12 of 75
latest reply

Thanks @popblox ! That could be it, though if it is I'd have to say that is a stretch to say the least (not by you, but by Iannone, which is totally possible considering the source/context).

Has anyone actually *seen* any increased seller protection from uploading photos to payment disputes?

This says "payment disputes", not "claims".  Isn't a payment dispute a "chargeback"?  I don't think they're talking about an SNAD.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 75
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Guessing here:

"Trusted Sellers" means a select few in an unannounced pilot? It could (in part) explain why @bigdeals.etc was sent nasty pics of dead ducks on a recent return request. If his buyer was forced to upload pics, the buyer decided to mess around with it.

@wastingtime101  oh wow, I missed that one.  I was guessing that since the shipping credit thing was likely the TRS protection, "trusted sellers" might have referred to TRS but you're right, it could be an unannounced pilot with select sellers.

Message 14 of 75
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

This says "payment disputes", not "claims".  Isn't a payment dispute a "chargeback"?  I don't think they're talking about an SNAD.

@katzrul15  yeah the use of the word "fraudulent returns" in the quote from the call is what made me think Jamie was talking about false SNAD/INAD returns, not payment disputes - but as others here have pointed out that would be assuming he has a certain level of understanding about the nuances of doing business on this platform and that may be assuming a heck of a lot. 🤣

Message 15 of 75
latest reply