cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Hub - IRS Tax Identification Number (TIN) error - Anyone else?

I checked my seller hub this morning and saw the below error (see attached): I haven't made any changes to my status as a seller with the IRS and I thought I always filed just using my SSN when it came time to do my taxes. Now it looks like eBay is requesting a W-9.

Is this affecting anyone else? I believe this has to be an error on eBay's side, maybe to do with managed payments, but I don't want to ignore and end up in eBay jail and have my listings become affected.

eBayIRSTIN.png

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: eBay Seller Hub - IRS Tax Identification Number (TIN) error - Anyone else?

Nice link and thank you. This may come as a bit of a shock to all the foreign sellers with US based accounts that are either drop shipping or simply selling off a US account because their country or area does not have their own posting forum. I have wondered for quite awhile how the 1099 reporting changes that will take effect in 2022 will impact all the foreign drop shippers using US accounts. 

Message 31 of 92
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

@ohgollythrift  In the Business Details it is right below Business Type and before DBA and Address.

Business details:
Business name

Business type

Employer ID Number

Doing Business As (DBA) - optional

Business address

If you don't see it, try a different browser like Firefox.  Some versions of some browsers have a problem with this page and don't show the edit options.

I'm with @ohgollythrift  on this one. No option for an EIN or DBA and under owner details it only allows an SSN.

2021-12-08_12-29-13.jpg

Not sure why there would be different versions of that page shown to different people but maybe that is part of the issue?

Also I know previously when entering info for MP some sellers had issues because eBay didn't provide an area for a middle name or initial and they were told if that was needed to match bank account info to put it in along with the first name field.

I see that the owner's details area does now have an option for middle name - again not sure if that is relevant but given how picky the IRS can be about info matching exactly I'm wondering if eBay submitting the first name with a possible middle name or initial in that field as well could be throwing up a red flag? 

velvet@ebay  - I know you had said in the other thread about this that there wasn't much other information you could provide, however there seems to be some confusion about what options/fields are supposed to be available for sellers on this page and some sellers are seeing different things than others.

Is there any way you could check with the team and at least clear up confusion about what this page is supposed to look like and/or submit a report letting them know not all sellers are seeing the same thing, please?

I can't speak to the discrepancy some may be seeing in forms they've been provided @valueaddedresource. I'm not sure if that's due to the type of business they selected when setting things up or not. It's going to be best to contact the Payments team for further account specific clarification/information there. 

I was able to get a little more insight into the W-9 requests we've been sending though. It sounds like the IRS will be sending eBay a list of sellers from the previous tax year in which they say the Name/TIN on file with eBay does not match IRS records. We must comply with their request to have all of these sellers validate their TIN in order to sell on eBay. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 32 of 92
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

I was able to get a little more insight into the W-9 requests we've been sending though. It sounds like the IRS will be sending eBay a list of sellers from the previous tax year in which they say the Name/TIN on file with eBay does not match IRS records. We must comply with their request to have all of these sellers validate their TIN in order to sell on eBay. 

Could you please ask the team what is needed on the W9 form? I've checked over my tax forms and ebay multiple times. There is no spot to put the EIN on my ebay account. The W9 states that either SSN or EIN is sufficient enough. Ebay has my correct SSN as do all my tax forms. It's super unhelpful to request a W9 without asking what is needed. I'm afraid of writing my SSN / EIN on the W9 form when there's no indication of what is being asked of. I'm planning on writing down both but I'm still scratching my head when as noted in the pics I've attached earlier that either an SSN or EIN should be enough and Ebay has my SSN. An email stating what is off would've been a million times more helpful than waking up to some notification about sending a W9 that I'm afraid of filling out incorrectly. Worse there's no way for me to add my EIN to ebay as a sole proprietor at least on my account there isn't.

Message 33 of 92
latest reply

@ohgollythrift  - out of curiosity, do you have a middle initial or middle name entered and if so, is it in a separate middle name field or in the first name field?

Since Velvet's answer indicated the issue could also be that the name doesn't match, that brings me back to the idea that maybe the way some sellers had to enter middle name/initial in the past to get their info to match bank account for MP could be being flagged as "not a match" if it is being shown as part of the first name?

I could be completely off base with that, just throwing ideas out there since it doesn't sound like we're likely to get much more detail from eBay on this.

Message 34 of 92
latest reply

@ohgollythrift wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

Could you please ask the team what is needed on the W9 form? I've checked over my tax forms and ebay multiple times. There is no spot to put the EIN on my ebay account. The W9 states that either SSN or EIN is sufficient enough. Ebay has my correct SSN as do all my tax forms. It's super unhelpful to request a W9 without asking what is needed. I'm afraid of writing my SSN / EIN on the W9 form when there's no indication of what is being asked of. I'm planning on writing down both but I'm still scratching my head when as noted in the pics I've attached earlier that either an SSN or EIN should be enough and Ebay has my SSN. An email stating what is off would've been a million times more helpful than waking up to some notification about sending a W9 that I'm afraid of filling out incorrectly. Worse there's no way for me to add my EIN to ebay as a sole proprietor at least on my account there isn't.

Hey @ohgollythrift! I'm not able to give you advice on how to fill the form out. I can let you know that the IRS told us there were sellers that had a Name/TIN on file with eBay that doesn't match their records.  

If you'd like more info about where/how/if it's possible to add an EIN to your specific account, then I would encourage you to contact our Payments team. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 35 of 92
latest reply

@ohgollythrift  - out of curiosity, do you have a middle initial or middle name entered and if so, is it in a separate middle name field or in the first name field?

Since Velvet's answer indicated the issue could also be that the name doesn't match, that brings me back to the idea that maybe the way some sellers had to enter middle name/initial in the past to get their info to match bank account for MP could be being flagged as "not a match" if it is being shown as part of the first name?

I could be completely off base with that, just throwing ideas out there since it doesn't sound like we're likely to get much more detail from eBay on this.

I can't find anywhere between my tax records / ebay account where I've ever put in a middle name so I don't think that's what's going on with me. No idea what's going on.  I'll keep everyone updated here my results after submitting the W9.

Message 36 of 92
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

If you'd like more info about where/how/if it's possible to add an EIN to your specific account, then I would encourage you to contact our Payments team. 

How do I contact them?

Message 37 of 92
latest reply

@bangordiscount wrote:

This is my biggest worry... I got a payout today, will I get one tomorrow? Are they going to end until this is resolved? Is the next step restricting my account? I got not communication regarding any of this until the notification that was on my seller hub this morning.

Nothing has changed with my personal life except in 2019 I moved from ME to NY while my girlfriend finishes grad school. I filed as having lived in NY for 2020 and updated all my information on eBay so that my product returns weren't sent to ME while I was living in NY. I would honestly not be providing eBay any new information by submitting the W-9 but something internal or external (IRS) is requesting I do this and I just don't know why and don't want to send any conflicting information that puts my account at risk.

Maybe the anxiety is for nothing and a quick document upload resolves itself and maybe it  causes weeks of more headaches

eBayW9disclaimer.png

This is the whole thing.  WHAT LAW??  We have the right to know what law and the details of it.  But somehow Ebay seems to think we should just comply because they say so.  They may be right, and if they are, what is the harm with proving it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 38 of 92
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

@ohgollythrift  In the Business Details it is right below Business Type and before DBA and Address.

Business details:
Business name

Business type

Employer ID Number

Business address

If you don't see it, try a different browser like Firefox.  Some versions of some browsers have a problem with this page and don't show the edit options.

I'm with @ohgollythrift  on this one. No option for an EIN or DBA and under owner details it only allows an SSN.

2021-12-08_12-29-13.jpg

Not sure why there would be different versions of that page shown to different people but maybe that is part of the issue?

Also I know previously when entering info for MP some sellers had issues because eBay didn't provide an area for a middle name or initial and they were told if that was needed to match bank account info to put it in along with the first name field.

I see that the owner's details area does now have an option for middle name - again not sure if that is relevant but given how picky the IRS can be about info matching exactly I'm wondering if eBay submitting the first name with a possible middle name or initial in that field as well could be throwing up a red flag? 

YEP, that is how my account is set up too.

Message 39 of 92
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@rfmtm wrote:

Business details:
Business name

Business type

Employer ID Number

Business address

2021-12-08_12-29-13.jpg

velvet@ebay  - I know you had said in the other thread about this that there wasn't much other information you could provide, however there seems to be some confusion about what options/fields are supposed to be available for sellers on this page and some sellers are seeing different things than others.

Is there any way you could check with the team and at least clear up confusion about what this page is supposed to look like and/or submit a report letting them know not all sellers are seeing the same thing, please?

I can't speak to the discrepancy some may be seeing in forms they've been provided @valueaddedresource. I'm not sure if that's due to the type of business they selected when setting things up or not. It's going to be best to contact the Payments team for further account specific clarification/information there. 

Well that is a change from the previous excuse offered on the other thread [again, NOT your fault] that it was account specific information and their reasoning would not be shared.

So NOW they need to right this policy ASAP and get it published and sellers notified.  They have NO right to keep such important information to themselves.  We ALL have the right to have it.

Message 40 of 92
latest reply

@ohgollythrift wrote:

I can't find anywhere between my tax records / ebay account where I've ever put in a middle name so I don't think that's what's going on with me. No idea what's going on.  I'll keep everyone updated here my results after submitting the W9.

Thanks @ohgollythrift, at least that helps try to narrow it down.

Message 41 of 92
latest reply

We got the same message and it looks like eBay put as much thought into the content as they put into the grammar.

Been getting 1099s for our eBay sales for years. We've paid upfront, quarterly, for years. All using my SSN.

Who's wrong? Me, the IRS or eBay?

My vote goes to...

Message 42 of 92
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@ohgollythrift wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hey @ohgollythrift! I'm not able to give you advice on how to fill the form out. I can let you know that the IRS told us there were sellers that had a Name/TIN on file with eBay that doesn't match their records.  

I'm on the phone with the payments team and they can't figure out the EIN issue either. I'm being put on hold OVER and OVER. This is ebays issue and somehow I'm dealing with it.

Message 43 of 92
latest reply

@iart wrote:

We got the same message and it looks like eBay put as much thought into the content as they put into the grammar.

Been getting 1099s for our eBay sales for years. We've paid upfront, quarterly, for years. All using my SSN.

My vote goes to...

Vote for ebay +1

I just ended my conversation with them on the phone and they were no help. They said send in the W9 with my SSN and EIN and THEN the EIN will be added to my account but I can't add one myself. I file taxes with my SSN and EIN. The W9 says when requested either is sufficient info. Ebay can't get anything straight and AGAIN I'm afraid of losing my account because of their issues.

Message 44 of 92
latest reply

@iart wrote:

My vote goes to...

Did you get a request for the W9?

Message 45 of 92
latest reply