cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Changing White Backgrounds in Search! MAKING THEM GRAY!

eBay has a new "feature" whereby they change a pure white background to gray in the search (ON PC).

I have always worked hard to ensure my backgrounds were pure white so they would seamlessly blend in with a websites white background. This would give the appearance that my item was floating on the page..

This is how professionals do their photos on all other websites like Etsy, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

I'm not sure when they did this but they are now ALTERING my Gallery Photos in Search so the item backgrounds are more Gray!! This only is occurring on a desktop PC as far I as I can tell.

The Search on the android app looks like how the PC should with the background of the page and item merging together.

atavium_0-1686829608489.pngatavium_1-1686829634240.png

The first photo is what I originally made it, that's what it is when you go to the listing.

The second photo is what it looks like in search.

THEY'VE DONE THIS TO ALL OF MY WHITE BACKGROUND PHOTOS.

Example List of Items  - Here is a list of items that I made all white backgrounds, but they are all gray when you look at them through search on a PC. If you click on the items, you can see they are misrepresented on the search page.

This makes me look like an Amateur that's unable to make a white background.

eBay is misrepresenting our items without our consent. 

If you make white backgrounds on your items - look them up in search.

eBay needs to stop doing this ASAP. This is wrong. They even made a whole app tool that's designed to make white backgrounds, but now you have some web dev altering sellers photos without their consent.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: eBay Changing White Backgrounds in Search! MAKING THEM GRAY!

@atavium 

I know this is an older thread, but any resolution to this issue? OP raised valid questions, even if some of the replies were flip or missed the point.

Why does eBay add a gray background to seller images with a pure white background? And how does this square with eBay touting its own background removal tool? Creating a white background takes time and looks more professional to my eye. Why does eBay override it with gray?

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

I thought it was my camera! I have been so unhappy with my dingy photos.

Message 47 of 50
latest reply

It's been going on in my account for about a month.  Nothing helps, no matter what you click on it comes out with that dingy gray background.  I've been selling on Ebay for over 25 years and I've never experienced anything so stupid....

Message 48 of 50
latest reply

I am just noticing this issue too, and it's really disconcerting.  Its not just the background that is getting slightly darkened, it's the entire image.  We sell lots of greeting cards that use a bright paper white (close to RGB 255, 255, 255), but once uploaded, eBay dims it to a light gray (approx RGB 242, 242, 242). I determined this sampling the before / after images in Photoshop.  It is also dimming the rest of the image... I sampled colors between before / after images and noticed this dimming.

I tried a few workarounds but nothing fixes the issue.  Like someone before me said, it's eBay's design choice now.  And likely, there's nothing we can do, besides providing feedback.  Which is so unfortunate.  For alot of folks, it probably doesn't matter, but to me it does, and I'll be filling out some feedback for eBay developers.

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

Unreal.  I can only emphasize. 

On my listings, I find different pictures showing on the search page than show on the listing detail.  

This is one of those improvements like the pulldown boxes we can't read anymore and combined orders that show gibberish and are calculating incorrectly.   Seems to be happening about the same time all my listings want me to let the AI write the description (that will be hidden under 3 layers of ads).

Message 50 of 50
latest reply