cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Changing White Backgrounds in Search! MAKING THEM GRAY!

eBay has a new "feature" whereby they change a pure white background to gray in the search (ON PC).

I have always worked hard to ensure my backgrounds were pure white so they would seamlessly blend in with a websites white background. This would give the appearance that my item was floating on the page..

This is how professionals do their photos on all other websites like Etsy, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

I'm not sure when they did this but they are now ALTERING my Gallery Photos in Search so the item backgrounds are more Gray!! This only is occurring on a desktop PC as far I as I can tell.

The Search on the android app looks like how the PC should with the background of the page and item merging together.

atavium_0-1686829608489.pngatavium_1-1686829634240.png

The first photo is what I originally made it, that's what it is when you go to the listing.

The second photo is what it looks like in search.

THEY'VE DONE THIS TO ALL OF MY WHITE BACKGROUND PHOTOS.

Example List of Items  - Here is a list of items that I made all white backgrounds, but they are all gray when you look at them through search on a PC. If you click on the items, you can see they are misrepresented on the search page.

This makes me look like an Amateur that's unable to make a white background.

eBay is misrepresenting our items without our consent. 

If you make white backgrounds on your items - look them up in search.

eBay needs to stop doing this ASAP. This is wrong. They even made a whole app tool that's designed to make white backgrounds, but now you have some web dev altering sellers photos without their consent.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Gosh, that photo with the light gray background looks absolutely awful.  I'd never buy that thing.  I'd wait until I found someone selling it with a photo with a pure white background, even if it cost twice as much.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Ebay "sabotaging"?

Why does everyone think ebay is out to get them?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 50
latest reply

@atavium 

Did you try to lighten it up with the brightness/contrast feature? Click on the pencil at the left in the frame and see if that might help.  I personally do not use the eraser due to what you just described.  I just brighten them up with the other tools eBay offers for tweaking photos.  Try it out and see if it will work for you.

Happy Selling

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

It's new but at the same time it's not new.

eBay made some major changes to eBay Stores a year or two ago (I don't remember exactly when). Those changes turned out to be a foreshadowing of what we would eventually see site-wide in both search and profile pages affecting everybody. eBay has been slowly implementing those changes to regular search.

Store home pages have had the gray background for a while, and now it appears eBay is starting to roll that out to the rest of the site. You may see it on some accounts, not others and some browsers, not others, but eventually it will be site wide.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 50
latest reply

This is to get people's attention. People work hard to have a white background only to have eBay change it without their consent. 

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

Didn’t you get the memo? eBay either sabotages or throttles listings . 

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Your sales are so bad your item is 50% off and your "Major Issue" is the tint of the background?  Wait until the PL ribbon in the middle of your listing has some of your pics on your competitor's listings with a lower price then tell us what is a "Major Issue". Sabotage? Not so much.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

This is not helpful at all, shame on people rating this helpful.

You only sell cards that take up the entire photo, so of course it doesn't matter to you. How would you like it if someone changed a different part of your listing without your consent? 

When you work hard to make a white background, you don't appreciate someone changing it.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

Did you read the post? My backgrounds are already pure white. eBay changes them to be grayish in search.

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

I don't mind them changing the website. That's their prerogative. They are specifically changing something that is supposed to be in my control.

This is completely unacceptable. It's like If you wanted certain parts of your title capitalized, but to standardize they automatically make the entire title lowercase.

And if you bring it up, you have people like @hartungcards  in here mocking the person pointing it out by saying, "Gosh, that item with the all lowercase title looks absolutely awful.  I'd never buy that thing."  

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

@atavium 

It was just a suggestion.  Maybe try to brighten them a bit by revising them.  If they still come out gray you can always report it to the tech issues team.  Just trying to help...apparently it didn't by your reply.  Sorry. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Report-eBay-Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

@ebooksdiva 

You also have white backgrounds but look what they look what eBay does to them in search

atavium_0-1686833171574.png

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

I'm not making this an issue about my sales. My sales are fine.

I just am highlighting that eBay is changing something that should not be changed. Imagine if eBay was changing your titles or description, something that you should have control of.

My point is I spend time to make my backgrounds white, and they make them off white after I do so.

The MAJOR ISSUE is this WASTED TIME

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Some I left grey on purpose so. It matters not to me. This is eBays sandbox they do as they please.  They don’t require our permission to do what they want on their site. 
As another responder pointed out you can take it up with the tech team..

Message 15 of 50
latest reply