cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBAY promoting the Spread of the Corona Virus

It appears that ebay is promoting the spread of the Virus by blocking sales of needed sanitizing products to customers that possibly/probably cannot find the items locally due to shortages.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: eBAY promoting the Spread of the Corona Virus

You are wrong. Most likely you did not reach yet to the point in your life to make fair judgments. It's ok, we all are wrong time to time but I wish you can fix that in the future.

Message 31 of 57
latest reply

If someone usually sells hand sanitizer, etc. for a reasonable price on ebay and finds that they can no longer do so, I would suggest you offer that item...for a reasonable price...locally.  I bet you would find people interested in buying the product.  Better yet, if possible, donate it to nursing homes or other places in need.   How good you would feel providing an item so hard to get to people who cannot find it.

Message 32 of 57
latest reply

that's exactly my point!! people who want to pay should be allowed to in this free commerce society.
Message 33 of 57
latest reply

Taking advantage of a worldwide pandemic to make money is despicable.

Price gouging is illegal.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 34 of 57
latest reply

I had my listing taken down for sanitizing wipes. Auction started at 99 cents. I didnt set a price for gauging. They still removed it
annasalcedo55
Message 35 of 57
latest reply

If you start an auction at 99 cents, how is that the seller gauging? People will pay what they think it's worth

annasalcedo55
Message 36 of 57
latest reply

@annasalcedo55 wrote:

If you start an auction at 99 cents, how is that the seller gauging? People will pay what they think it's worth

I'm done explaining price gouging. I'm happy to let people make their own decisions from here on out, and to let prosecutors and judges do their jobs - which in some cases will be to explain the concept of price gouging to the people they prosecute for that crime or civil infraction, depending on state.

If you decide to risk it for a few bucks, best of luck living in fear for the next two years, or whatever the statute of limitations is for price gouging.

Message 37 of 57
latest reply

correct! instead of total ban they should implement a maximum sale/ship price per item or per oz/ml . But dont worry, the snow flakes will tell you to "get over it" and " donate your stock" so that you cant pay your rent with a donation. there ARE alternatives to eBay by doing a quick google search.
Message 38 of 57
latest reply

@annasalcedo55 

When you sell an item that is prohibited, Ebay removes it. What's so hard to understand about that?

*lady*madonna*

Message 39 of 57
latest reply

Youre just as ridiculous as the ones who want the death penalty for sellers who "gouge". 

Message 40 of 57
latest reply

Why is the item prohibited? I thought price gouging was prohibited.

annasalcedo55
Message 41 of 57
latest reply

@annasalcedo55 

According to Ebay:

"Effective immediately, eBay will block new listings and start to remove listings that sell:

• Health care masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks
  • Hand Sanitizer/Gel
  • Disinfecting Wipes"

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

*lady*madonna*

Message 42 of 57
latest reply

but this isnt the answer. while a wildly infectious virus is blanketing the globe you don't completely ban the sale of essentials when many people are without. All this has done is left countless families unprotected and underprepared, And in turn driven the prices up dramatically from when the ban was implemented.

take a look at the auction style listings that have slipped passed the block sensors. 4 bottles of lysol spray for 500$-$2000, with countless bids. this is a testament to how negatively ebays response has affected its buyers, as this is the new normal.

The answer would be implementing a new set of rules, possibly ones that denoted a maximun markup percentage over the price the seller paid. This would probably have to be split into segments, given some have access to wholesale prices, and others are just standard ebay sellers, who paid retail, or may have even been gouged themselves. ebay could mandate submission of a receipt if concerns arrise, much like Amazon does.

they could also manually approve each and every listing if theyre truly that worried about it. this would create a bottle neck but it is far less reckless and lazy than the current solution. Though it appears they are merely only concerned with minimizing the amount of complaints submitted, as well as eBay's liability to gouging fines. if ebay were at all concerned about the well-being of its buyers, this potentially detrimental policy wouldnt have been approved in the first place.
Message 43 of 57
latest reply

@jimid82551 wrote:
All this has done is left countless families unprotected and underprepared

I find it curious that I have never heard any health expert claim that eBay's ban is an issue. 

With all the exhaustive new coverage around the world, if this was an issue you would think one of the health experts would have said something by now. 

Message 44 of 57
latest reply

why would you think that? why would they even be apprised to ebays policies really, or be knowledgable of units that are frozen in people garages in the u.s? or consider those who try to sell any excess toilet paper or particulate respirator masks they might have over-purchased in panic, discovered they couldnt, then silently moved on?

i think your giving a whole lot of  undeserved 'compassion, care, and concern' credit to the media. do you see them reporting on the alarming price increase on contactless thermometers? i havent - what was $20 a few weeks ago is now $100 msrp. Alibaba vendors has raised their wholesale costs from $8 to $50.  and this is a much more terrifying issue is terms of cause, as this starts at the source. the manufacturers of infrared lenses saw this as an opportunity to increase profits 10 fold - there is no shortage. just another opportunity to monetize  for large companies who were going to do quite well throughout this financially crippling pandemic as it was. they wanted to do better. and so the manufacturers of the thermometers also followed suit

Message 45 of 57
latest reply