cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dangers of selling through global shipping program ?

I have a $500 piece of electronic equipment that someone in Australia wants to buy.

right now I have no foreign shipping set

what are the dangers of shipping through the GSP for a $500 piece of electronic equipment?

I do not want to have it returned to me broken and having to pay big shipping costs both ways

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

It's not about any danger of using the GSP, it's that you are selling a high-priced electronic item to an Int'l buyer. Electronics and mobile phones are the #1 items scammers target. If you use the GSP, and receive a INAD return request, you will be liable for shipping the item back, from Australia. I would advise to keep such an expensive electronic item for sale only in the states, but then again, I would never bother to attempt to sell anything electronic online. Selling online is always a gamble as it is, why sell something that gets targeted so often. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

that is my biggest concern, paying for shipping both ways

I sell 90% of the big electronics I have locally, only special exceptions go to ebay

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

We Canadians detest buying from sellers who use GSP, so I feel qualified to explain why you should feel comfortable about using it.

First, GSP is a Seller Protection program and was set up to meet the concerns (fears, paranoia) of US,a nd later UK, sellers about shipping to those nefarious foreigners.

So the seller only ships to Erlanger KY using a domestic service.

The seller does not have to deal with complicated customs forms with difficult questions like "what is in this package?" and "what price was it sold for?".  All of that is on the shipping label that eBay prepares for you, along with some information supplied by the buyer like his own nation's import number.

Once at the Erlanger plant, the seller's responsibility for shipping ends. If the package is later damaged in transit, is delayed, or is stolen by porch pirates, GSP takes responsibility.

One other way the seller is protected is  that the buyer pays import fees to cover his nation's duty and sales taxes on the purchase in advance at purchase . The transaction does not go through until these import fees are paid. The seller never even sees them.

The only problems the seller might need to fix are:

• The shipment is damaged before it arrives in Kentucky. It will be returned to the seller and not forwarded.
  • The buyer makes a claim of Not As Described. These claims are rare but they can happen. The seller can also demand the return of the item before he has to refund. That usually ends the claim if the buyer is scamming, but not if there really are grounds. (Describe and package carefully. NAD claims are just as likely from US buyers as from foreigners.)

The Canadian hatred of the program  has mostly disappeared with the newest NAFTA which raised our duty free allowance to $150 from the previous $20Cdn (~$14USD).

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

It's really simple, can you afford the 500.00 loss or maybe extra if it is damaged in shipping?

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

If it is damaged in shipping, the GSP will take responsibility and refund the buyer.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I've sold a dozen $500 items through global shipping over the last six months. No issues so far. Austalia, New Zealand, Canada, Belgium, and The Netherlands.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Don't do it.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

IF you gat an INAD on a GSP sale, you will have no return label through eBay. In the future, eBay says it will handle international returns, but right now, there is NO way to get a label through eBay for an international return. You would have to wire the buyer money for THEM to buy the label. 

Neither selling expensive items internationally, nor selling anything high value internationally, neither is sensible unless you like being scammed. You do what you want, but if you get an INAD, I can bet you, you will end up refunding and not receiving your item back. You would have no choice. 

Been there, done that. First time I was scammed was a Canadian buyer over a $50 Jazz record. I would NEVER consider sending anything international, over $100. Never. 

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I've sold items through GSP for years. 
Never had any issues.
A dishonest/problem buyer is going to be a problem whether you use GSP or not,
whether your shipping it to Timbuktu or across town.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Lots of protections for the seller with GSP...Ive used it dozens of times.

But - the downside - its really expensive for buyers.

Once your customer sees how much more GSP will cost, they might change their mind.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Maybe - but the chances of actually having a return are much reduced.

I sent a pricey Ivory Cue Ball to China once - it was lost...eBay refunded the seller, I was out nothing. Scam? Not sure...

The seller is off the hook for most everything - once it arrives in KY.

@farmalljr wrote:

IF you gat an INAD on a GSP sale, you will have no return label through eBay. In the future, eBay says it will handle international returns, but right now, there is NO way to get a label through eBay for an international return. You would have to wire the buyer money for THEM to buy the label. 

Neither selling expensive items internationally, nor selling anything high value internationally, neither is sensible unless you like being scammed. You do what you want, but if you get an INAD, I can bet you, you will end up refunding and not receiving your item back. You would have no choice. 

Been there, done that. First time I was scammed was a Canadian buyer over a $50 Jazz record. I would NEVER consider sending anything international, over $100. Never. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

tell the AU buyer you will give them a 5% discount if they use a reshipper

its not worth the risk on heavy items

@time-to-go-hiking 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Did you ever ship a 500 dollar item via GSP? I think not

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I would not do it! In Fact I get nervous shipping an item of value in the US because you all know Ebay is going to protect us always. Yeah right!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply