cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone else after signing in, getting a screen to sign in with passkey

Since early this afternoon, I am finding after signing in to ebay, I am getting a page with an option to sign in with a Passkey. Under that is "skip for now" and when I click that it takes me to my ebay page.

The thing is, I don't want to sign in with a passkey. With the "skip for now", does that mean ebay is eventually going to force this on us also? 

With the passkey supposedly you can sign in with facial recognition, finger print, or a pin. The only one I would even consider, is the pin, and why do I need to do that, how would that be any more secure than a password. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I received the notification once but simply ignored and skipped it. Have not had a repeat. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I got it once, and it scared me. Really!

by the way--- I 've never been finger printed.😀

and i've put a piece of duck tape over my  lap top camera.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Yes. 

With the "skip for now", does that mean ebay is eventually going to force this on us also? 

"You can set up passkeys from the prompt after you sign in or from the Sign in and Security settings in your eBay account. You can also disable the passkey option in your Sign in and Security settings."

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/tips-keeping-ebay-account-secure?id=4872

how would that be any more secure than a password.

A password can be stolen by a phishing email, or observed someone looking over your shoulder or filming you typing it. A Passkey is managed by your device, not by eBay. So no one can use your passkey without also having physical control of your device. 

"In addition to being phishing-resistant and error-proof, passkeys also support Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) by design. 2FA is a second form of authentication that should be enabled on all online accounts when possible. Unless it’s required, many users don’t enable 2FA on their accounts because it creates an additional step to log in. Since passkeys are tied to the devices they’re generated on, the device acts as the authenticator, making passkeys even more secure than passwords since that device will always be required to log in."

Personally, I use 2 factor authentication which requires both a password AND a passkey. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

LOL.  yea-But you're smart- and i am not.😊

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

And what happens if your device crashes and you have to use a different device or purchase a different device, when you go to sign in?

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

A Passkey is managed by your device, not by eBay. So no one can use your passkey without also having physical control of your device. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I log on to eBay using both my desktop and occasionally my phone. If Passkey is managed by my device do I have to have 2 passkeys? 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Yes I constantly get spammed with it every time I sign in.

It's extremely annoying, "Sign in faster .. blah blah .. give us your passwords .. blah blah"

Disingenuous, frankly insulting new data grab.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

The sign-in would be much faster if they stopped harassing you to agree to products to make the sign-in faster.  I measured it before the obnoxious spam and it takes about 1.5seconds to sign in. After obnoxious spam this is more like several seconds to sign in.

So it pretty much amounts to handing over all your passwords in order to supposedly pay for protection from sign-in delays, so you can your shekels faster.

No thanks.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Never have to remember a password again!  
But you're going to have to remember a string of random numbers instead. LOL

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

No, I haven't seen that but then again I never log out. 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

I never have to remember passwords ... I have a book!

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I think it depends.

For example, IIUC passkeys created on Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, Vision Pro) are backed up and synced using iCloud Keychain, so passkeys created on an Apple device are stored and can be used on another Apple device, too.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Yeah, I get that, click past it all the time. I don't sign in on a mobile device, only through the web on a PC. Why would I want that? I can't imagine trying to do my workflow on a mobile device, NOPE!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

I never have to remember passwords ... I have a book!

That's almost is bad as when the person sitting beside me had their password for their work computer on a sticky note attached to their monitor. It's always great to share your password with the office cleaners who can sit at your workstation and issue cheques to themselves.

C.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply