cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amazon disclosure

...I recently made a purchase on ebay and the item(s) came from amazon. I deliberately choose to shop on ebay to avoid dealing with amazon...not because I begrudge a seller making a couple of extra bucks or anything like that...but because I simply don't want to have anything to do with a company like amazon. This is the second time this has happened...I believe I should have the right to decide where my money goes...as little as it is...therefore I believe ebay sellers should be required to disclose that they are doing business with amazon, so that buyers can go somewhere else.

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

amazon disclosure

@jackisjustvintage wrote:

I had an issue with this a couple weeks ago.  I have purchased bubble wrap from Amazon and I always seemed to get **bleep** thin and hard to tear, so I came here to Ebay, for my next purchase.  I purchased some bubble wrap, and paid more than I usually do to get hopefully a better quality wrap.  I recieved my package from Amazon, marked as a gift, and it was the exact **bleep** bubble wrap I was trying to avoid.   If I had known he was shipping from Amazon, I would not have bought from him.  I know it is not illegal or anything, but I did feel misled, and I have two rolls of **bleep** bubble wrap again 🙂

I agree.  If I buy a coat on the assumption it is coming from Macy's to find out it really came from Kohl's I would not appreciate it either.

My money, so I should have some input in the matter.

Message 46 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

And the ebay seller should have to get my permission to drop ship from me on Amazon to the ususpecting Ebay shopper. My item sold and manufactured by me is $19.95 on Ebay and Amazon. The Ebay drop ship seller has them for 24.14 to 35.00. I don't think they are selling any but they should still have to disclose where it comes from and have permission to use me on Amazon as a drop shipper. And my Amazon listing is directly linked to their Ebay listing. I can end it or change their price. That is weird. Online arbitrage is everywhere and very deceptive to consumers don't you think?

Message 47 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

A lot of good replies, thanks. It seems that a lot of responders are under the impression that I'm against a seller making money...which, as I stated is not the case...quite the contrary actually...I feel that dealing with amazon is what will, eventually, hurt ebay sellers...by helping amazon become a total monopoly etc., and I don't see how it's 'unreasonable' to have a say in where my money goes...after all, if lower prices were all I were concerned with I would probably go to amazon directly. Is it any more unreasonable than, for instance, being informed about an item's country of manufacture?

As far as asking a seller, well, I tried asking a seller about 4 days ago, I'm still wating for an answer.

Anyway thanks to all who had input.

Message 48 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

mickey_shamrock wrote:

...I recently made a purchase on ebay and the item(s) came from amazon. I deliberately choose to shop on ebay to avoid dealing with amazon...not because I begrudge a seller making a couple of extra bucks or anything like that...but because I simply don't want to have anything to do with a company like amazon. This is the second time this has happened...I believe I should have the right to decide where my money goes...as little as it is...therefore .....I believe ebay sellers should be required to disclose that they are doing business with amazon..... so that buyers can go somewhere else.

Ebay sellers often sell on MANY other sites, Amazon included.  There is no way they should be required to post where ELSE they list merchandise, nor would that be allowed by eBay... being rightly construed as the potential suggestion of doing business off of eBay.  The whole idea is silly.

Message 49 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

People use Amazon as a drop shipper. It's far more cost effective than handling it "the eBay way." In fact, you have proof of this right in your hands, as the seller was able to send you something from Amazon and still clear a profit after paying eBay's fees. It is against Amazon's rules, but again... people are doing it.

If you want to control where your money goes, the last thing you should be doing is buying things online. Go to a local retailer and support your neighborhood's economy.

Message 50 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

It is only against Amazon's policies if the seller has a Prime account and they are using it for the "free" shipping that comes with Prime.  And the OP has still never said one way or another whether or not they even have Prime.

Other than that, there are no rules on Amazon against them being used as a dropshipping source.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 51 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@jackisjustvintage wrote:

I had an issue with this a couple weeks ago.  I have purchased bubble wrap from Amazon and I always seemed to get **bleep** thin and hard to tear, so I came here to Ebay, for my next purchase.  I purchased some bubble wrap, and paid more than I usually do to get hopefully a better quality wrap.  I recieved my package from Amazon, marked as a gift, and it was the exact **bleep** bubble wrap I was trying to avoid.   If I had known he was shipping from Amazon, I would not have bought from him.  I know it is not illegal or anything, but I did feel misled, and I have two rolls of **bleep** bubble wrap again 🙂

Your problem is not with the vendor, but with the product.  Next time don't buy the same brand of bubble wrap.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 52 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@ d-k_treasures

You should not feel bad about having paid more for an item you could have bought directly for less.  Then it may be that some of your buyers also feel bad knowing you're marking up your costs? 

Discovering they can buy the same item for less from someone else may give them that same bad feeling.   In your case as is the case for many sellers, the items are not necessarily the identical items. However, when considering collectibles as an example, the item doesn't have to be identical if it fits whatever criteria a buyer has set for searching similar items.

When I look at identical items at the same price or close, I pick the one where the seller has better feed back among other self imposed rules I follow in buying.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 53 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

If the buyer had to pay more for the item than he/she would have paid if purchased directly from Amazon, then the seller is guilty of price gouging.

Are you saying that anything a seller lists at a price higher than what they paid their supplier is "price gouging"?

If that's your position then every single seller on eBay would be guilty.

No, I am not saying that.

If I go to a store in my hometown and buy a can of coffee for $10.00, and after I get home I discover that the store owner bought that can of coffee for $8.00 from another store in my hometown that I often buy from,  I would not feel good about it.

I probably would feel good about that myself.  It would mean that I've failed to shop wisely.  I would not be upset with either store.  I would be furious with myself.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 54 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@7606dennis wrote:

@phanoto wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

If the buyer had to pay more for the item than he/she would have paid if purchased directly from Amazon, then the seller is guilty of price gouging.

Are you saying that anything a seller lists at a price higher than what they paid their supplier is "price gouging"?

If that's your position then every single seller on eBay would be guilty.

No, I am not saying that.

If I go to a store in my hometown and buy a can of coffee for $10.00, and after I get home I discover that the store owner bought that can of coffee for $8.00 from another store in my hometown that I often buy from,  I would not feel good about it.

I probably would feel good about that myself.  It would mean that I've failed to shop wisely.  I would not be upset with either store.  I would be furious with myself.

Slight correction:  The first sentence should read "I probably would not feel good that myself."

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 55 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

I did not realize I was buying the same bubble wrap, but I will take responsibility for buying from a stock photo. Should have known better.
Message 56 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

If you feel like the deal you got on eBay was good then that's all that should matter, especially if you do not enjoy shopping on Amazon. Technically you will be paying the seller for the item as the seller will be purchasing it from Amazon themselves. If there is any issue with the item, you do not have to contact Amazon, you comunciate with the eBay seller as it should be. 

Message 57 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

Leave appropriate feedback for your transaction. Thats all you can do.

Message 58 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

therefore I believe ebay sellers should be required to disclose that they are doing business with amazon, so that buyers can go somewhere else.

That pretty much sums up why sellers and eBay don't want to reveal that information, doesn't it?

Message 59 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

It is only against Amazon's policies if the seller has a Prime account and they are using it for the "free" shipping that comes with Prime.  And the OP has still never said one way or another whether or not they even have Prime.

Other than that, there are no rules on Amazon against them being used as a dropshipping source.

Amazon IS the dropshipping source!

FBA is servicing orders for eBay sellers, and charging those clients fees for that service.  In these cases, no one is "buying" anything on Amazon and having it shipped to an eBay buyer.  They are buying ON eBay, and the seller is using FBA to fill the orders.  Obviously the order arrives in an Amazon box, with Amazon tape, because the Item Location was "Amazon warehouse". 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 60 of 71
latest reply