cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amazon disclosure

...I recently made a purchase on ebay and the item(s) came from amazon. I deliberately choose to shop on ebay to avoid dealing with amazon...not because I begrudge a seller making a couple of extra bucks or anything like that...but because I simply don't want to have anything to do with a company like amazon. This is the second time this has happened...I believe I should have the right to decide where my money goes...as little as it is...therefore I believe ebay sellers should be required to disclose that they are doing business with amazon, so that buyers can go somewhere else.

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

amazon disclosure

@chrysylys wrote:

Be sure to leave appropriate FB expressing your displeasure.

Encouraging a buyer to neg a seller for sending the item he ordered as described and in the time frame advertised?  Nice.  If anything impacts whatever beliefs or sensitivities buyers may have or in this particular case having concerns regarding where the item is coming from, they should ask before purchasing. 

I know I do.  Otherwise I have no right to complain.

Joe

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

Although I too use recycled boxes from those various stores - you can definitely tell they are recycled because at the very least they have tape residue on them when you remove the shipping labels and stickers. Being I myself have had the same experience - I don't doubt the OP. 

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

If the buyer had to pay more for the item than he/she would have paid if purchased directly from Amazon, then the seller is guilty of price gouging.

Are you saying that anything a seller lists at a price higher than what they paid their supplier is "price gouging"?

If that's your position then every single seller on eBay would be guilty.

No, I am not saying that.

If I go to a store in my hometown and buy a can of coffee for $10.00, and after I get home I discover that the store owner bought that can of coffee for $8.00 from another store in my hometown that I often buy from,  I would not feel good about it.

Then you as the buyer didn't do your due diligence to compare prices before you purchased.  I wouldn't feel good about it either but I certainly will not blame the seller.

Especially one with a razor thin profit margin like this.

Joe

Message 18 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

Here is the Legal Definition of Price Gouging:

https://legaldictionary.net/price-gouging/

Please either read the entire link or in the alternative, pay special attention to the following headings in the article: 

What is Price Gouging; Examples of Price Gouging in Natural Disaster; Price Gouging Laws; Gas Price Gouging; During Actual Emergencies; and Hotel & Hurricane Sandy Gas Station

Each of the above pertains to "actual Price Gouging as defined by Law and not Sellers both online and at a B&M.  There were several Gas Stations in New York that were fined heavily after Hurricane Sandy. 

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

If the buyer had to pay more for the item than he/she would have paid if purchased directly from Amazon, then the seller is guilty of price gouging.

You are confusing "making a profit"  with "price gouging"

They are not the same.

I sell things all the time that someone could get for the same price that I pay.  I am not forcing them to buy from me, and anything that I sell could never be considered "price gouging" , because the things that I sell are not necessities. The definition of price gouging has been explained here many times.

I have no problem with a seller using Amazon. My problem is with buyers that get the item, and complain because it could sometimes have been purchased directly for less.

OP has a different problem. I have no solution for that issue.

Message 20 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@mickey_shamrock wrote:

...I recently made a purchase on ebay and the item(s) came from amazon. I deliberately choose to shop on ebay to avoid dealing with amazon...not because I begrudge a seller making a couple of extra bucks or anything like that...but because I simply don't want to have anything to do with a company like amazon. This is the second time this has happened...I believe I should have the right to decide where my money goes...as little as it is...therefore I believe ebay sellers should be required to disclose that they are doing business with amazon, so that buyers can go somewhere else.

Never, ever going to happen OP. What you are asking is for every seller to disclose the source of every item sold, which is a very unreasonable demand. You see, you have a problem with Amazon and the next guy will have a problem with Kmart and the next will be estate auctions and after that yard sales and after that Goodwill and on and on. You can ask a seller before buying and see if you are satisfied with the answer and go from there. However, it seems like you want a disclosure added to the listing that is viewable by all. That will never happen.

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Are you saying that anything a seller lists at a price higher than what they paid their supplier is "price gouging"?

If I go to a store in my hometown and buy a can of coffee for $10.00, and after I get home I discover that the store owner bought that can of coffee for $8.00 from another store in my hometown that I often buy from,  I would not feel good about it.

What if going to that other store that sells it for 8.00 costs you 4.00 in gas?

How does that work out for you?

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

We now have only two (2) grocery stores in the rinky-dink city that I live in, with the one that I will use is only for me to purchase my cats food and their litter, the other is too far for me to walk   Then there is Aldi's that is within walking distance from my home - prices are much cheaper for the same items that I could get at Shop-Rite, the large can of coffee is still $4.99 and has been the same price since '11, organic milk is about $1.50+ cheaper, staples such as chicken/beef/veggies way cheaper, so Aldi's gets the majority of my food budget, I get better items, cheaper, and I just love the cashiers!  Now, before I made Aldi's my go to store, I went there and compared prices.  Wish I could get my father to shop there, but he is set in his ways, so I just take him Shop-Rite.

Now can I accuse Shop-Rite of price gouging?  I don't think so because they sell their items what they feel is fair and square,  but I know better, so I go to Aldi's.

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

"I have no problem with a seller using Amazon. My problem is with buyers that get the item, and complain because it could sometimes have been purchased directly for less."

Buyers do not often complain when they discover that they could have bought the item for less as long as the seller did not buy it from the same place the buyer could have bought it from.

It is common for buyers to be unhappy when they have been taken advantage of by a seller just because the buyer neglected to compare prices very well before buying.

Price gouging is loosely defined as charging a price that is higher than normal or fair.  It can be done with any kind of item.  It does not have to be an item that is necessary, like food or gasoline.

If many sellers try to buy things at retail from the same place eBay buyers could buy them, and then try to sell them on eBay at a higher price, this will drive buyers away from eBay. 

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

"I have no problem with a seller using Amazon. My problem is with buyers that get the item, and complain because it could sometimes have been purchased directly for less."

Buyers do not often complain when they discover that they could have bought the item for less as long as the seller did not buy it from the same place the buyer could have bought it from.

It is common for buyers to be unhappy when they have been taken advantage of by a seller just because the buyer neglected to compare prices very well before buying.

Price gouging is loosely defined as charging a price that is higher than normal or fair.  It can be done with any kind of item.  It does not have to be an item that is necessary, like food or gasoline.

If many sellers try to buy things at retail from the same place eBay buyers could buy them, and then try to sell them on eBay at a higher price, this will drive buyers away from eBay. 

Not reallygrin  It keeps happening on a daily basis.

It will not drive buyers away, it will result in sellers not being able to get what they are asking for items.

I could say apples, and oranges, but this is more like books, and chickens.

The problem is with the buyer not seeking out a lower price if theae sellers are able to sell.

Still not price gouging. It is still called making a profit. I do it with everything I sell. 100% to 1000% profit

Message 25 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@duggmills

They rely on free prime shipping. When they place the order on Amazon, they add their buyer's address as a ship to address and have it sent directly there for free shipping. So the seller can charge shipping on Ebay that covers fees and a small profit.

Whenever I'm looking at stock photos of a fairly generic or easy-ish item to find, I check Amazon, and it's always cheaper. Pretty much always. But I don't have prime, so I would get charged way too much to have it shipped to me. Ebay's seller's shipping isn't as high, so overall, it would cost me less to buy here. Unless the item is over $35 I think. Then it's free shipping from Amazon.

A little profit x 100=decent profit. I don't think Ebay cares about this, but I think Amazon does.
Message 26 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

Price gouging applies strictly to essential items in short supply.
If applied loosely to anything else, you have to establish a benchmark...is it 10% over MSRP/average retail?...50%?...200%?. It becomes subjective....and that's another argument.
Message 27 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

@phanoto wrote:

It's not "taking advantage" of a buyer if they didn't spend the time to comparison shop before hitting the "Buy" button.  Not too long ago I needed to replace some of my measuring cups, so I found a decent set of new ones at TJ Maxx for $8.  Turns out that if I'd shopped around a bit, I could've gone across the street to Marshall's and gotten the exact same set for $6.  Was I mad at TJ Maxx for pricing them higher?  No, I was mad at myself for not checking all of my options first.

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

Appropriate  feedback is not necessarily negative.

Yeah, I'm parsing a bit.

'Good deal Shipped from Amazon warehouse' tells other future buyers something important about the transaction, whether the FB is positive,negative, or neutral.

In any case, FB is a public relations gesture and does not affect the way eBay looks at a Seller's account.

Now if the buyer opened a Dispute because of the origin of the product, that would have some effect on the Seller's account.

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

amazon disclosure

The naysayers will dump on you lol, but you have a perfect point

It is not up to you "to ask." That is laughable.

Also some of those sellers are abusing their Amazon prime accounts too.

I fully understand why you choose not to do business with Amazon, and they laugh at the small businesspeople they are ruining who still defend them.

Message 30 of 71
latest reply