cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You guys know best:

I'm not stressing over this, but you all know best what direction I should take.

I got a return so of course I clicked to make the refund after the item is returned.  So far, on that we are on track.

Here's what's going on "behind the scenes":  He took one of the diamonds to GIA, a grading business.  It's common to do this for a good gem, but not for testing to see if a gem is real because it costs $70.00 to do the lowest level of grading.  (Appraisal is about $150.00 which would give a more involved grading and a value price). 

My buyer said in the return that he doubted the stone was a real diamond, so he sent it to GIA.  It hadn't come before he started the return and asked for me to refund the $70.00 along with the original $66.00 (free ship).  Since then he's messaged me to demand the $70.00 to his Pay Pal account.  Then, in the next days, he got the report and sent me a photo of it.  Of course it says the diamond is real.  It's been treated (irradiated/heat) for color. 

Also, he's threateed my feedback if I don't give the $70.00 to his pay pal account.  I told him if ebay tells me to do that, I will.  I know they won't. (He could have just as easily taken the diamonds to a jeweler for a free test.)

This is what I'm wondering:  Do I wait for this to end and then see what the feedback is from him, or contact ebay and send/tell them he's threatening feedback revenge and wants me to send $ outside ebay's site?  I have the messages for proof but the refund is pending so his feedback is not there yet.

My gut says to wait.  Correct?  Or a mistake?

BTW, I've been polite, said I'm happy to make the refund (and I am!) and already BBL'd him.   

Thanks a bunch!~~Barb

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: You guys know best:

Maybe I am not understanding this but if the diamond was real then his return is buyers remorse. When I got it back if everything was ok I would call ebay to not refund shipping charges  either way. Wouldn't that make him a happy duck. His $70 proved your case.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

You are not responsible for the cost of his sending it to GIA.  Is he serious?

I have bought a lot of diamond jewelry here and had it checked out for peace of mind, but it was always at my expense.

Tell him if he is not happy with it to open a case in ebay, whereby you will send him a return postage label.  And upon receipt of the item and checking it against your records you will refund him for the total amount he paid to you.

But you are not in any way responsible to pay for him sending it to a 3rd party.

Repeat as necessary and nothing more.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

Perfect! That's just what I did/doing.
The refund is already in motion, it's the GIA cost that's up in the air. I was fine until he started the threat to the feedback to me.
Thanks so much for the confirmation!~~Barb
Message 3 of 50
latest reply

Hmmmmm......your buyer initiated a return request PRIOR to getting the diamond back from GIA?

My point being that once a return is initiated, the buyer will have certain requirements to meet BEFORE a refund should ever be considered by a seller, partial or full.  The $70.00 expense shouldn't even be a consideration; that's on the buyer.

I would familiarize yourself with the requirements of the buyer in the course of a return.  If you can show that you did NOT get the item back in the alloted time (ebay time, that is), you can call ebay and have case closed in your favor.  Keep in mind, though, a Paypal claim could also be looming.........

Good luck.

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Also, he's threateed my feedback if I don't give the $70.00 to his pay pal account.  I told him if ebay tells me to do that, I will. 

I wouldn't have said that. I'm sure they can con some ebay 3rd world CS into emailing or calling you saying you should do that.

Megadestroyers: Here you say, "I would familiarize yourself with the requirements of the buyer in the course of a return. If you can show that you did NOT get the item back in the alloted time (ebay time, that is), you can call ebay and have case closed in your favor. "
--------
I expect him to make the return, even if it's a marble, and I will ok the refund because we sellers have no choice. IF I took it to a case, or, refuse because of the 'marble' or whatever, I WILL lose. Any time there's a question of whose right or wrong, ebay will side with the buyer. All us 'oldies' here know it.
My only "fight" is the 70 dollars and the feedback threat if I don't give him the $70.00 to his pay pal account directly. Which I have zero chances of doing that. I am not sending him a cent. So I'm bracing for a negative.
Message 6 of 50
latest reply

dk: You really think so? dang.
Maybe I'll climb the ebay rep ladder. It'll take time, and my views will sink while I'm fighting, but it should be worth it. Hope...Hope...Hope...
Thanks!
Message 7 of 50
latest reply

If he negs you for something not offered in the listing you should be able to get it removed. It may take several calls to CS to get one who actually thinks instead of reading a script. Call early in the morning for US reps. I advise hanging up and trying again if you think they are not US reps. 

If you can't get the neg removed remember to wear it with pride. One neg is not a bad thing, it can actually prove to other buyers that you are not a pushover, and those that want to try those tactics might if you're lucky move onto some other seller that has in their feedback: "Works well with buyers" or some other nonsense like that which reveals the seller caves into partial refunds and the like. 

I just hope you get your diamond back, the neg would be the least of my worries. 

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

Respectfully, and speaking from experience, you are not correct in your assumptions.  ebay, and many here, would have you believe that, no matter what.  And mind you, please, I am no newbie!  Been here since email addresses were required as user IDs........

Couple of things.  First, no way, no how should you be responsible for the $70.00.  You're not giving him a cent, so at least that's out of the way.  As for bracing for a neg, buyer threats aren't looked upon kindly by ebay ( again, experience talking).  Keep all your communications with the buyer in regards to this, and should it come to that, you should have no problems getting it removed.  Might take a few phone calls, but it's certainly happened before.

There are lots of things to know about the return/refund policies of BOTH ebay and Paypal, more importantly as a seller than a buyer, imho.  You will, of course, do what's good by you........

Still, good luck.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

@musicforyoureyes wrote:
Maybe I'll climb the ebay rep ladder. It'll take time, and my views will sink while I'm fighting, but it should be worth it. Hope...Hope...Hope...
Thanks!

You do know that the ebay rep ladder is circular, don't you?

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@musicforyoureyes wrote:
Thanks!

You do know that the ebay rep ladder is circular, don't you?

LOL!!  I really did laugh out loud.

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem.
Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Ebay will not make you pay the $70. Once the item is returned, if neg is left, you can have it removed. Buyers cannot demand more than what was paid.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

Maybe I am not understanding this but if the diamond was real then his return is buyers remorse. When I got it back if everything was ok I would call ebay to not refund shipping charges  either way. Wouldn't that make him a happy duck. His $70 proved your case.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 13 of 50
latest reply

Coolections: Thank you very much. I needed that.
Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Siayan: That's what I thought, so I put a photo of the GIA test result in with the Return Case. I felt it couldn't hurt since that's the basis he gave for the refund reason.
You said it so well! (Smiles!)
Thank you!
Message 15 of 50
latest reply