cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if eBay ever grasps the reality of their situation?

Ebay has been doing a lot of crazy things lately to try to be more like Amazon such as product reviews and now showing how many other of the same items are available. They even include that the others are "new or refurbished". This is a blatant copy of Amazon and just another attempt at trying to copy the success of others.

I wonder if ebay ever realizes that Amazon is Amazon because of Jeff Bezos and eBay is what it is because of those making the decisions at eBay? eBay thinks the future is to be like Amazon. I have news for them, as much as I really don't care for Bezos, if he decided to compete with eBay with a full blown sister site to the main site ran as an auction platform, the employees at eBay would soon find themselves in the unemployment line.  eBay cannot and never will compete with Amazon. Jeff Bezos would clean eBay's clock for them if he decided to compete with them. If eBay and Amazon switched leadership today within 10 years eBay would have a higher stock price than Amazon due to Amazon stock falling and eBay stock rising. The difference in the corporations is because of leadership and not product line. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

All businesses, companies, sellers, etc. make errors people aren't perfect computer programming isn't always perfect.  What makes a good company is how these mistakes are handled and rectified.   eBay can copy any and all business models they want to trying to be "better" since it works for that company.  And that's exactly what they do. The constantly change things trying to fix it and make nit better.  When the easiest thing to do would be have amazing customer service so that when an error or mistake happens from any of their business model choices it's fixed quickly and easily.  Have a perfect business model doesn't exist and eBay needs to quit chasing that.  What makes a business a good business is how the customer service handles the mistakes.  If eBay never fixes that nothing else they do will matter IMO 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 16 of 80
latest reply

From one of many articles in which Bezos openly says he's not afraid to fail in trying something new:

Amazon once had an auction site called Amazon Auction, which went head-to-head with eBay. Auction shut down eventually, but it helped Amazon launch its own online marketplace for third party vendors called Amazon Marketplace, which is now a big part of its overall business.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 17 of 80
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
ebay is a mere gatekeeper that hands out maps to the world's biggest flea market.
Any vision beyond that is pure fantasy, but it somehow keeps the stock price up.
3rd quarter results will be released in a couple weeks...vision will then meet reality.

That will be the only place where the results of continuous concurrent changes will show up.

How can they calculate the benifit of any of one of changes when so many different ones are put forth at the same time? It boggles the mind.

Message 18 of 80
latest reply

papyruspapillo wrote:
I am one of the little sellers who is feeling left behind. Ebay is the only viable site for my niche category, theatre collectibles. I used to do famously, but times have changed. My theatre-colleftible colleagues are also experiencing awful sales. Have you any advice for us? Thanks.

The saddest thing for any of us who deal in some of these narrow specialty areas... especially of things that we love and find so fascinating... is when we finally have to face the truth that fewer and fewer folks have any interest in this stuff anymore.  Smiley Sad 

But it's no different than having a space at the mall, but specializing to such a degree with a narrow line of merchandise, that almost all of the shoppers walking the mall in front of your door aren't interested in coming in.  They're shopping!  They're spending money!  But they aren't interested in what you are offering, and just pass on by.  And.. yes, these little narrowly-specialized shops very often can't make it, and go out of business.

But advice about this depends so much on what you want to do about it, which can be *nothing* all the way up to *get into some line of merchandise that sells better*...  Why are you here?  What is your end goal?  Do you want to be able to interact with others who enjoy your interest, to handle this merchandise and continue your own collecting, to focus on this area because it's where your heart is?  Or, do you want to build a small business online, using eBay, and want to drive it to success, which means all the work of presenting merchandise to the public that the public is interested in buying at this time in history, and presenting it to them in a way that snags the sales FOR YOU. 

More and more, we're finding little specialty sites springing up for collectors too, so it's always fun to go poking around the internet looking for little spots where others are nestled, those who share our interests. 

Message 19 of 80
latest reply

I hope and pray that one day there's another site besides eBay.  I would love to deactivate my account and move my business somewhere else. They are greedy, ignorant, intolerant, leftist elitist who don't dererve my hard earned money.

Message 20 of 80
latest reply

jordan04201982 wrote:

I hope and pray that one day there's another site besides eBay.  I would love to deactivate my account and move my business somewhere else. They are greedy, ignorant, intolerant, leftist elitist who don't dererve my hard earned money.

There are tons of sites spread out over the internet.  Many eBay sellers have accounts on quite a few of them.  Some sites are sort of specialty sites.. like for firearms or musical instruments or fine antique glass.. and other sites are more general, pretty much for whatever merchandise you care to deal in.

You need to get out more.  But if you are as bitter as you sound, perhaps you would find difficulty most anywhere else anyway. 

Maybe you'd enjoy working out of a little store in your own town better, where you could be your own boss and make your own rules.  Of course, there would be rent to pay and utilities and insurance, etc. so maybe that would be too greedy of those charges...   

Message 21 of 80
latest reply

@bluemountainmilitaria wrote:

What makes you think that the other site wouldn't eventually be the same? They all have the same bottom line.

Message 22 of 80
latest reply

the other site is too and all of silicon valley also I have spent much time up there
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat
Message 23 of 80
latest reply

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 24 of 80
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@chipper01work wrote:

Jeff Bezos would clean eBay's clock for them if he decided to compete with them. 

Jeff Bezos did try to compete with eBay. 

It was called Amazon Auctions.

And eBay cleaned Jeff Bezos's clock. 

And eBay did try to compete with Amazon. It was called eBay Express, and that failed as well.

The difference is that Bezos LEARNS from his mistakes. eBay blames sellers and keeps ramming the same thing down users throats over and over and over again.

eBay just doesn't get it.

Message 25 of 80
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Ebay will never get rid of used - thrifting and garage sales are huge. Some people love the hunt - others love the saviings and Ebay knows it. Besides Ebay is the go to for that part needed for that appliance you bought 10 yrs ago - delivered to your door instead of having to drive an hour to pick it up and some little repair shop.

That works only if new buyers realize that is what a lot of ebay sellers (try to) sell. But ebay is more into advertising and showing big box and chinese junk.

Remember - ebay used to be the go-to place to get IT.

They forgot what IT is - hint, ebay - IT's not everything that everyone else has ....

Ebay is still known as the go to place to find replacemnt parts, collectibles ect... They pushed advertising on the new items because they are competing with just about every other venue on the internet and wants buyers to know you can find that same new item here - thus the push for UPCs and a catalog.

There are always going to be haters with the same rhetoric - but TG there are enough of us who understand the reasons behind these changes so people don't get wrong info.

Message 27 of 80
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

All businesses, companies, sellers, etc. make errors people aren't perfect computer programming isn't always perfect.  What makes a good company is how these mistakes are handled and rectified.   eBay can copy any and all business models they want to trying to be "better" since it works for that company.  And that's exactly what they do. The constantly change things trying to fix it and make nit better.  When the easiest thing to do would be have amazing customer service so that when an error or mistake happens from any of their business model choices it's fixed quickly and easily.  Have a perfect business model doesn't exist and eBay needs to quit chasing that.  What makes a business a good business is how the customer service handles the mistakes.  If eBay never fixes that nothing else they do will matter IMO 

I completely agree BUT.....IMO eBay wants the SELLER to provide the exemplary customer service. They want the seller to kiss the ground the buyer walks on and give them the sun, moon, stars and whatever it takes for the buyer to have a positive buying experience. That's about all eBay is concerned about when it comes to customer service. The seller is not treated like ebays customer even though they pay the fees to sell here. In fact eBay considers the buyer to be ebays customer but all responsibility falls on the seller and eBay does not provide anywhere near good customer service to the seller ever. And in a lot of cases to the buyer.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 28 of 80
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

I completely agree BUT.....IMO eBay wants the SELLER to provide the exemplary customer service. They want the seller to kiss the ground the buyer walks on and give them the sun, moon, stars and whatever it takes for the buyer to have a positive buying experience. That's about all eBay is concerned about when it comes to customer service. The seller is not treated like ebays customer even though they pay the fees to sell here. In fact eBay considers the buyer to be ebays customer but all responsibility falls on the seller and eBay does not provide anywhere near good customer service to the seller ever. And in a lot of cases to the buyer.

I don't think most sellers here have any problem whatsoever with providing exemplary customer service. The problems come when ebay sets up roadblock after reoadblock and glitch after glitch to prevent the seller from offering that service, then blames the seller for what eBay did.

Case in point: Forcing IPR on BINS even when the seller WANTS to provide combined shipping for the buyer up front.

Message 29 of 80
latest reply

gramophone-georg wrote:

I don't think most sellers here have any problem whatsoever with providing exemplary customer service. The problems come when ebay sets up roadblock after reoadblock and glitch after glitch to prevent the seller from offering that service, then blames the seller for what eBay did.

Case in point: Forcing IPR on BINS even when the seller WANTS to provide combined shipping for the buyer up front.

???  That never happened to any of my accounts.  When did they roll that out?  Or are you just grabbing something out of the air to illustrate your point?  I'm not getting what *roadblocks after roadblocks* you are saying eBay has put in your way to prevent giving great service to your customers...?

Message 30 of 80
latest reply