cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if eBay ever grasps the reality of their situation?

Ebay has been doing a lot of crazy things lately to try to be more like Amazon such as product reviews and now showing how many other of the same items are available. They even include that the others are "new or refurbished". This is a blatant copy of Amazon and just another attempt at trying to copy the success of others.

I wonder if ebay ever realizes that Amazon is Amazon because of Jeff Bezos and eBay is what it is because of those making the decisions at eBay? eBay thinks the future is to be like Amazon. I have news for them, as much as I really don't care for Bezos, if he decided to compete with eBay with a full blown sister site to the main site ran as an auction platform, the employees at eBay would soon find themselves in the unemployment line.  eBay cannot and never will compete with Amazon. Jeff Bezos would clean eBay's clock for them if he decided to compete with them. If eBay and Amazon switched leadership today within 10 years eBay would have a higher stock price than Amazon due to Amazon stock falling and eBay stock rising. The difference in the corporations is because of leadership and not product line. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Wonder if eBay ever grasps the reality of their situation?

d-k_treasures wrote:

mistwomandancing wrote:

d-k_treasures wrote:

Well, I just looked at new AUCTION listings with a Make Offer button on them.

They have no grasp of reality in any way, shape, or form.

Actually, I think it's because so many buyers dislike the auction format because of the waiting for it to end, will they get it or not?... should they even bother or just find something like it to buy now and be done with it.  I think this option is so that a buyer can make his best offer and see if that's enough for the seller to accept.  I don't see any harm done.  If the seller wants to gamble that he can get more by letting his auction run, that's his decision.

Sorry, but that's what BIN/BO is for.

That was the only think I could come up with as to what might be behind their thinking.  Of course, knowing eBay, it could be a temporary glitch!  Smiley Indifferent

Message 76 of 80
latest reply

You don't speak for very many, that's for sure.  

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Well, I just looked at new AUCTION listings with a Make Offer button on them.

They have no grasp of reality in any way, shape, or form.

Actually, I think it's because so many buyers dislike the auction format because of the waiting for it to end, will they get it or not?... should they even bother or just find something like it to buy now and be done with it.  I think this option is so that a buyer can make his best offer and see if that's enough for the seller to accept.  I don't see any harm done.  If the seller wants to gamble that he can get more by letting his auction run, that's his decision.

But then so many people are "afraid" to make offers because the initial "price is too high" but at the same time they "hate auctions" it's mind boggling.

Message 78 of 80
latest reply

The big problem with eBay trying to be Amazon is that, while there is a side of Amazon that somewhat resembles a subset of eBay sellers (Amazon Partner Sellers), it represents the absolute worst Amazon has to offer. Partner sellers don't have the speedy shipping, hassle-free returns, or up-front customer service that Amazon or Prime items come with. If you have a problem, you have to take it up with the person you bought it from. 

Yes, you can speed things up by getting angry and contacting customer service, but that's pretty much what happens here when a buyer opens a case. You can't base eBay's business model on the experiences of unsatisfied Amazon buyers. 

What Amazon customers know of the site is not the Partner Seller side, but the Amazon Prime side, where everything is super-easy and quick and never a hassle, but without a gigantic robot warehouse or a fleet of drones like Amazon's, we sellers cannot possibly provide the service that Amazon does. 

The fear of offers and auctions is probably just a side effect of people who joined eBay in the 90s, when it worked... and are now confused as to how to exist in this ecosystem where eBay is doing everything they can to discourage auction-style listings.

Message 79 of 80
latest reply

But then so many people are "afraid" to make offers because the initial "price is too high" but at the same time they "hate auctions" it's mind boggling.

It's been my impression that auctions are mainly run by new sellers who have little idea of how to sell online.

No idea of what their item is worth.

No idea of how and when bids arrive.

And total naivete about eBay's (at best) out of date or (at worst) misleading advice on how to sell successfully.

Today's buyer likes immediate satisfaction.

She likes Buy It Now and Fixed Price-- so she doesn't wait a week to find out she lost, or how much her purchase will cost.

She likes to know exactly how much she will be paying-- so she wants Free Shipping (which is just including the cost of shipping in the asking price) and she prefers Fixed Price/Buy It Now pricing.

And she even likes the Global Shipping Program* -- because she is paying her country's duty and sales taxes up front, not on her doorstep. And she sees how much those import fees will be.

She's shopping on her phone. -- any seller who hasn't looked at his own listings on a smartphone is working in the dark about what his buyer thinks she bought.

The theme here is simplification. Tell the customer upfront how much it will cost. Then ship it when the order is made and paid.

EBay has spent so much time working to the Quarterly Report, believing that their customer is the shareholder, that they have forgotten that the only money eBay ever got from those sharehholders is the money from the IPO. Everyone else  bought on the secondary stock market and is a gambler with no interest in anything but the stock price.

AZ ignored the stockmarket, and even managed to go decades without making any profits, because they told a good story.

And now the story is turning into profits. After years and years of losses.

Meanwhile, eBay has been profitable since the beginning, currently earning about 45 cents per share, which the company hoards and does not distribute as dividends.

*Unless she's Canadian, like me and 35 million others.

Message 80 of 80
latest reply