cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wonder if eBay ever grasps the reality of their situation?

Ebay has been doing a lot of crazy things lately to try to be more like Amazon such as product reviews and now showing how many other of the same items are available. They even include that the others are "new or refurbished". This is a blatant copy of Amazon and just another attempt at trying to copy the success of others.

I wonder if ebay ever realizes that Amazon is Amazon because of Jeff Bezos and eBay is what it is because of those making the decisions at eBay? eBay thinks the future is to be like Amazon. I have news for them, as much as I really don't care for Bezos, if he decided to compete with eBay with a full blown sister site to the main site ran as an auction platform, the employees at eBay would soon find themselves in the unemployment line.  eBay cannot and never will compete with Amazon. Jeff Bezos would clean eBay's clock for them if he decided to compete with them. If eBay and Amazon switched leadership today within 10 years eBay would have a higher stock price than Amazon due to Amazon stock falling and eBay stock rising. The difference in the corporations is because of leadership and not product line. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Message 61 of 80
latest reply

@chipper01work wrote:

Ebay has been doing a lot of crazy things lately to try to be more like Amazon such as product reviews and now showing how many other of the same items are available. They even include that the others are "new or refurbished". This is a blatant copy of Amazon and just another attempt at trying to copy the success of others.

I read through the replies and didn't notice anyone bringing up a major reason for Amazon success: Prime. I resisted for a long time. Always want to buy on ebay instead, ideally from a small seller. But we caved and got Prime and now I'm kind of hooked by the free shipping and fast delivery. There are still things I will buy on Amazon Marketplace or ebay (used items like DVDs which are cheaper than Amazon's price). But I think there are millions of people hooked on Prime.  

Message 62 of 80
latest reply

People love prime and if it was in the budget - I'd go for it but I seldom buy there because of the ship cost except at the holidays if I can't find it here. I've gotten some good deals on food and candy items on Amazon - problem being - the exp date is like yesterday. I'll stick to Amazon for their Xmas deals and books I can't find on Ebay.

Message 63 of 80
latest reply

Well, I just looked at new AUCTION listings with a Make Offer button on them.

They have no grasp of reality in any way, shape, or form.

d-k_treasures wrote:

That's so the would-be buyer who sees a potentially $200 item started at auction for $20, can more easily ask the clueless seller if he'd be willing to just end the auction right now and take $100 for his item.  This new Make an Offer feature helps in the fleecing of unknowing sellers.

Message 65 of 80
latest reply

d-k_treasures wrote:

Actually, I think it's because so many buyers dislike the auction format because of the waiting for it to end, will they get it or not?... should they even bother or just find something like it to buy now and be done with it.  I think this option is so that a buyer can make his best offer and see if that's enough for the seller to accept.  I don't see any harm done.  If the seller wants to gamble that he can get more by letting his auction run, that's his decision.

Message 66 of 80
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Actually, I think it's because so many buyers dislike the auction format because of the waiting for it to end, will they get it or not?... should they even bother or just find something like it to buy now and be done with it.  I think this option is so that a buyer can make his best offer and see if that's enough for the seller to accept.  I don't see any harm done.  If the seller wants to gamble that he can get more by letting his auction run, that's his decision.

Errrr...aren’t bids offers? That’s kinda the whole point of having an auction.

Since there was no notice given on this- it’s not clear if this is a new policy or just a new glitch.

Message 67 of 80
latest reply

Customer service apathy and trickery will inevitably leave eBay in a decline.  

eBay's best thing going for it right now is its reach; it has absolutely nothing special about it otherwise.   It's like Verizon or Spectrum; people hate it, but they use it because it is "the best" at only one thing - getting from A to B.  As things change, eBay will get throttled.  They'll pull a MySpace and randomly disintegrate - and no one will know when it will happen. 

Message 68 of 80
latest reply

Being a part of an oligarchic realm combined with being one of the first on the scene is what keeps eBay kicking.  

Message 69 of 80
latest reply

Well said Mistwoman, I for one am grateful to be here and it can only get better. Ebay is NOT Amazon, nor is Devin Wenig wanting it to be. It is a site that competes with Amazon on a different level. More choices, more merchandise, global stance, ability to bid on great auctions. Looking foreward always to what is to come.

Message 70 of 80
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Sorry, but that's what BIN/BO is for.

"It can only get better"

True - when your company has such awful customer service, it can only get better from here.  

Message 72 of 80
latest reply

e to say from a personal perspective over 10 years every customer service experience has been great. 

Message 73 of 80
latest reply

AuctionS usually fetch well below retail value for items that people like. So it is a great option for those on a budget.

Message 74 of 80
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

AuctionS usually fetch well below retail value for items that people like. So it is a great option for those on a budget.

Not on items that should be auctioned. If that were true, I wouldn't get blown out on a great old toy, and I should win it for cheap, right?