cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay pay my overdraft fee?

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@a_c_green wrote:

timemachine777 wrote: 
eBay will pay your overdraft fees, when elephants make nut fudge brownies.  

"Wait! Stop! Don't pick those up! Those aren't nut fudge brown--... Oooh... too late..."

Yeah your right...It could just be double dipped chocolate peanut clusters.

Message 16 of 69
latest reply

@adrock1795 wrote:

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

The best way to stop your card from getting overdraft charges is to have your bank remove the option to pay for purchases that exceed your account balance. This means that once your funds are used up your card will be declined if you try to use it, but you will not get hit with a fee.

Message 17 of 69
latest reply

I know the bank I work for will waive the first ever overdraft fee on an account. That's it. Of course every bank has its own policies. Agree totally with everything you said. Great advice!
Belle
Message 18 of 69
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

You might want to talk to your bank about setting up overdraft protection, if this situation is going to keep happening. Yes, the bank socks you with a fee if they have to cover an overdraft like this, but on the plus side (if there is a plus side), at least your creditor gets paid the first time, and doesn't keep coming back and triggering multiple overdrafts and fees after their first attempt fails.

Overdraft protection is not something you want to keep using; it's solely as a safety net in case something goes seriously wrong on an occasional or (hopefully) one-time basis.

Finally, if this is the first time things have gone wrong like this, you might try an appeal to your bank. Be nice, and maybe they'll waive some or all of the fees as a one-time courtesy.

The thing about overdraft protection, and banks know this, is that the customer tends to use it up, and is now on the hook for monthly interest fees, and they are back where they started. Getting hit with overdraft fees again. Vicious circle.

Message 19 of 69
latest reply

Yes, but those were circumstances beyond your control, in which case the bank will work for and with you. Not having funds on your backup card to pay legitimate and expected charges doesn't qualify as circumstances beyond one's control. The bank will not refund overdraft or NSF fees because a customer failed to deposit funds to cover normal expected activity. Unfortunately, forgetting to make a deposit is not a valid reason to expect any fees to be refunded by either institution.
Belle
Message 20 of 69
latest reply

Right. And the bank IS going to charge that fee each time that item gets returned NSF.
Belle
Message 21 of 69
latest reply

Can't cancel the card unless he closes his account it's attached to. Well, technically, he can, but eBay is taking the money from the deposit account the card is associated with, so cancelling the card is pointless.
Belle
Message 22 of 69
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:
Yes, but those were circumstances beyond your control, in which case the bank will work for and with you. Not having funds on your backup card to pay legitimate and expected charges doesn't qualify as circumstances beyond one's control. The bank will not refund overdraft or NSF fees because a customer failed to deposit funds to cover normal expected activity. Unfortunately, forgetting to make a deposit is not a valid reason to expect any fees to be refunded by either institution.

From what the OP's saying is that, after the first attempt to get the fees from their card, eBay did get their fees from their PP account. Then eBay later kept hitting their card for double dipping fees. That's what caused the overdraft charges, if I read that post right. 

eBay already got the fees, yet, continued to try to get them a 2nd time. I have a funny feeling that eBay's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. One part of the billing system is going to keep hitting that card for the fees until it gets them, even though the backup system already got the fees by hitting the PP account as a secondary option.

Message 23 of 69
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle wrote:
Can't cancel the card unless he closes his account it's attached to. Well, technically, he can, but eBay is taking the money from the deposit account the card is associated with, so cancelling the card is pointless.

They can remove the card from their eBay account billing preferences.

Message 24 of 69
latest reply

They need to remove their backup payment method on eBay.

Message 25 of 69
latest reply

It's not set up that way. He is not opted in for OD protection, which is why he is getting returned items and incurring the associated fees. Opting in would actually be better, because the bank would pay the NSF item the first time. Yes, he'd get an overdraft fee, but just the one for the item which actually got paid (not returned) the first time it came through. However, if it remains in OD status and additional items come through, each additional item will generate an additional OD fee. Having your card set up to be declined when funds are exceeded only works for point of sale transactions. Preapproved debits are not included, and will be returned due to insufficient funds.
Belle
Message 26 of 69
latest reply

Yes, certainly.
Belle
Message 27 of 69
latest reply

I think there was confusion regarding what the OP stated. From what I understood, they TRIED to get the $$ from PP account, not there, so had to hit up his backup source, the card.

Belle
Message 28 of 69
latest reply

Well, duh! If he's not going to keep enough $$ on it, he sure does. 😄

But he's still required to have a backup funding source and to have funds available for charges he incurs on eBay if he doesn't have enough available in his PP account.

Okay, that was fun. Going to sleep now.

Belle
Message 29 of 69
latest reply

All my cards and my accounts are set up that way, and once the account is empty, it's locked and I don't get hit with any fees, unless I have a check post.  I have it set up so that the check will bounce like a rubber ball.

They can also change his eBay account preferences. 

Message 30 of 69
latest reply