cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay pay my overdraft fee?

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

My debit card is the one the government requires for funds like mine to be deposited into every month~~for people like me who don't have a bank account.  My 1st card had to be cancelled & replaced after a charge came up to a quick oil change place in TN.~~I'm in WI..  The 2nd time I had to have it cancelled & replaced was when a charge come up for fish hooks from China~~a under $10.00 charge.  They told me then that these people will make a charge like that & if it goes unnoticed they come back for the BIG haul & clean out your entire balance.  That was enough to convince me to cancel it.

I do give my debit cards to my housemate if I want something from the gas station in town & don't feel like going.  He doesn't have my passcodes  for getting cash or anything but just swipes it as a credit card and doesn't need to be signed for unless the charge is over $75.00.  I've been doing this for over 8 years now and he hasn't mis-used my cards in any way.  He's the ONLY person I trust with my cards.  I would still never put him on any of my credit card accounts though~~he has his own.

Message 61 of 69
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

I haven't read all the way through the thread.  Has the sentence below been addressed?  If a real live human bot is hitting the account over and over then, yes, ebay has some culpability.  

After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Emphasis mine.

well the question is....was there ever any money to actually pay the bill?   would ebay reprocess it if it were marked PAID?   and if PAID then anything after that , may be there fault...and with proper documation , you could have a case to present.... but will they jump in and repay you on their own..NO.... and neither will the bank if theuy charge a fee...  if the account is set up to pay the bill..and the process is to submit...then resubmit...it is the owners rsponsibility to put money in the account to be paid AFTER the first withdrawl attempt....  

think there may be morte to this story than has all been said.

Message 62 of 69
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

I haven't read all the way through the thread.  Has the sentence below been addressed?  If a real live human bot is hitting the account over and over then, yes, ebay has some culpability.  

After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Emphasis mine.

well the question is....was there ever any money to actually pay the bill?   would ebay reprocess it if it were marked PAID?   and if PAID then anything after that , may be there fault...and with proper documation , you could have a case to present.... but will they jump in and repay you on their own..NO.... and neither will the bank if theuy charge a fee...  if the account is set up to pay the bill..and the process is to submit...then resubmit...it is the owners rsponsibility to put money in the account to be paid AFTER the first withdrawl attempt....  

think there may be morte to this story than has all been said.

Well said.

Belle
Message 63 of 69
latest reply

I haven't personally had a bank account for years.

Does pay pal process the payments to ebay when a bank account is used to pay ebay seller fees?  They process the payments to ebay when ebay takes seller fees from your pay pal account.  I don't know if ebay can directly access your bank account without going through pay pal?

I know when I get an e check payment pay pal will automatically run it through more than once if there are no funds in your account the 1st try.  I've had them run through 2-3 times before they finally clear.  I haven't had an e check for a long time so that may have changed.  If it hasn't changed maybe pay pal was the one guilty of running it through more than once~~not ebay?

Message 64 of 69
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I haven't personally had a bank account for years.

Does pay pal process the payments to ebay when a bank account is used to pay ebay seller fees?  They process the payments to ebay when ebay takes seller fees from your pay pal account.  I don't know if ebay can directly access your bank account without going through pay pal?

I know when I get an e check payment pay pal will automatically run it through more than once if there are no funds in your account the 1st try.  I've had them run through 2-3 times before they finally clear.  I haven't had an e check for a long time so that may have changed.  If it hasn't changed maybe pay pal was the one guilty of running it through more than once~~not ebay?

I can only respond to what I know to be true regarding my own eBay account. I was confused and stated incorrectly that eBay requires a backup account or credit card. Apparently, this choice is optional. I do know that I have several backup accounts/cards listed on my main PayPal account that is the one I use primarily and almost exclusively for eBay purchases and fees. You have to select which one you want listed as the default. I'm not sure what would happen if eBay invoiced my PayPal account for fees owed and there were insufficient funds to cover it. I don't want to find out the hard way, though. I have a separate bank account set up to pay bills online, and I'm going to list that as my backup account on my eBay account preferences and make sure there's money in there if this should ever occur. I'm also going to set up a proactive way to make sure my fees are paid before I'm actually invoiced, assuming that's possible. I feel for the OP, but ultimately, it's his responsibility to stay on top of what he owes eBay, to pay it, AND to monitor his bank account. In this day and age of online and mobile banking, there's no excuse not to know when an unexpected charge has come through. 

Belle
Message 65 of 69
latest reply

Actually ebay doesn't do anything to you if there isn't enough money in your pay pal or whatever to pay your fees~~not right away anyway.  I've had instances where there hasn't been enough in my pay pal and they have just informed me of that fact.  Then I just use the "one time payment" option and pay with what I have in my pay pal account and then do it again and pay the remainder from my debit card.  I NEVER do it until after I've gotten notice from them to make sure my payments I make go to that bill and don't end up a credit on my next months bill.

You can make "one time payments" all month long to make your bill smaller come invoice time.  NEVER make a payment after the last day of the month though after they have closed out for the month getting your invoice ready~~your payments won't be credited to your invoice if you do that.  I have a friend~~fellow ebay seller in my town who paid with his credit card the 1st of the month and ebay still took his funds from his pay pal so he ended up with a double payment for the month.  He really had to go through a lot with ebay to get his 300 bucks back.

Message 66 of 69
latest reply

Even when I had overdraft protection I was still charged a fee. I didn't even sign up for overdraft protection. We have until the middle of the month to pay fees. I can't guarantee cash in my account at beginning of the month. I don't understand why automatic payment is hard to get removed. I got it removed the last time, and I was still charged. I had to walk in to the bank, and tell them to deny the payment so I would not have to pay a thirty five dollar overdraft fee. Now I have to pay a fee with Ebay over something I didn't authorize. I removed automatic payment through Paypal it still went through so I'm calling I shouldn't have to pay the fee.

Message 67 of 69
latest reply

This thread is from 2017. Might have been better to start your own.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 68 of 69
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.
Message 69 of 69
latest reply