cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will eBay pay my overdraft fee?

Ebay tried to charge my debit card, but I didn't have the funds so it got returned. Then eBay simply subtracted the sellers fees from my PayPal balance. After that though, eBay has tried to reprocess the charge multiple times and in the process they've made me incur muilple overdraft and NSF fees. 

Message 1 of 69
latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

Well, duh! If he's not going to keep enough $$ on it, he sure does. 😄

But he's still required to have a backup funding source and to have funds available for charges he incurs on eBay if he doesn't have enough available in his PP account.

Okay, that was fun. Going to sleep now.

You don't have too. I don't on any of my eBay accounts.

Message 31 of 69
latest reply

Okay. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm tired of arguing this point. I don't know all the ins and outs of eBay and PayPal. I have been in banking for 16 years, and I know how things work at the bank I work at, but each bank is different, so obviously, I could be mistaken regarding the options available on debit cards at other banks. I'm taking my toys and going home now. The sandbox is all yours..😉😊
Belle
Message 32 of 69
latest reply

@timemachine777 wrote:

Yes, but those were circumstances beyond your control, in which case the bank will work for and with you. Not having funds on your backup card to pay legitimate and expected charges doesn't qualify as circumstances beyond one's control. The bank will not refund overdraft or NSF fees because a customer failed to deposit funds to cover normal expected activity. Unfortunately, forgetting to make a deposit is not a valid reason to expect any fees to be refunded by either institution.

From what the OP's saying is that, after the first attempt to get the fees from their card, eBay did get their fees from their PP account. Then eBay later kept hitting their card for double dipping fees. That's what caused the overdraft charges, if I read that post right. 

eBay already got the fees, yet, continued to try to get them a 2nd time. I have a funny feeling that eBay's left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. One part of the billing system is going to keep hitting that card for the fees until it gets them, even though the backup system already got the fees by hitting the PP account as a secondary option.

That's the way I read it too. The fees have already been deducted from his PP after the first attempt at the card failed but they keep hitting it anyway.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 33 of 69
latest reply

No, they original tried to charge my debit card but the funds were't there, after that they subtracted the fees from my PayPal balance, I did have the funds in my PayPal. After that, they tried to charge my card a 2nd and 3rd time.
Message 34 of 69
latest reply

Then if that is the case, I would call paypal and ask why if after getting their money from you, did they continue to charge your debit card.

In this case I would expect them to pay for the overdrafts.

But if you can demonstrate to the bank it was not your fault and if it was your first time, maybe they will remove them.

I agree with another poster in that have it set up for your card to not accept over drafts, otherwise it can get very expensive.

Message 35 of 69
latest reply

@adrock1795 Which did you have set up as your auto payment method? PayPal or the card?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 36 of 69
latest reply

emerald it's eBay that's doing it not PayPal, and that's who they need to call to get this stopped.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 37 of 69
latest reply

I have pay pal set up as my 1st option for ebay to take my seller fees.  I don't have a back up option.  It was always a hassle making sure there was enough in my pay pal to cover the fees so I just started making "one time payments" during the month so that I'd owe ebay a lot less when they invoiced me at the end of every month.  This month they will take $39.00 from my pay pal on the 15th-17th.  That's a piece of cake compared to oweing the whole months fees all at one time.

Message 38 of 69
latest reply

@kattinsanity wrote:

I have pay pal set up as my 1st option for ebay to take my seller fees.  I don't have a back up option.  It was always a hassle making sure there was enough in my pay pal to cover the fees so I just started making "one time payments" during the month so that I'd owe ebay a lot less when they invoiced me at the end of every month.  This month they will take $39.00 from my pay pal on the 15th-17th.  That's a piece of cake compared to oweing the whole months fees all at one time.

I'm with you Katti. I actually have a $9 credit this month. Takes a whole lot of stress of and since I've already been paid by the customer, might as well pay the selling fees attached to it.

Message 39 of 69
latest reply

I'm just a small seller so when I used to get those invoices from ebay for 150-200 I needed a whole lot of sales to get that money together by the 15th-17th.  It sure makes it a whole lot less stressful to only owe 30-40.

Message 40 of 69
latest reply

Okay. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm tired of arguing this point. I don't know all the ins and outs of eBay and PayPal. I have been in banking for 16 years, and I know how things work at the bank I work at, but each bank is different, so obviously, I could be mistaken regarding the options available on debit cards at other banks. I'm taking my toys and going home now. The sandbox is all yours..😉😊

Even banks don't know what they're actually doing nowadays. One of my debit cards expired this spring, and I got the new one with the dreadful chip. So I activate the card and it doesn't work at some places. In the meantime my old card is still active for a few more weeks before they expired it.

They also only sent me one card for that account, and I like to have multiples in case I want to send someone on an errand and I don't have enough cash on hand. So I ask my bank manager to order me more cards. She tells me that she can't, and if she did it will just cancel out my current card. 

We get into a little back and forth about me have multiple cards on all my accounts. She humors me and orders the cards. They all end up working, and the chips only work at select stores. So one card will be declined at Walmart, and the other will be fine, yet all the numbers on the cards are the same.

Message 41 of 69
latest reply

Because that is STANDARD PROCEDURE! If he had his debit card/bank account listed as his backup payment source, the charge will be sent through again and again as the institution sending it has STLL NOT BEEN PAID. As I stated previously, the opt out of Overdraft Coverage/Protection is not applicable in the case of preapproved payments. When he set up his card attached to his bank account to be the backup source for eBay related changes, he preapproved those charges, whether he was aware of it or not.

He has zero right to ask for or expect a refund for any of the NSF or OD fees resulting from this situation. He should have been aware after the first incident he needed to make a deposit. Did he not see his account was overdrawn then? Did he think if he ignored it long enough, it would just go away? He just needs to grow up and accept that he made a mistake and deal with it maturely instead of continuing to whine about it here.

As for the "other poster," he is just plain wrong about how this works. But, apparently, he banks in Oz, where your account can never be overdrawn if you just say the magic words and wish it so.

Belle
Message 42 of 69
latest reply

😘Love ya, I'm just sooo thankful you're not banking at our branch. I would be tearing my hair out by now.😲😄

Belle
Message 43 of 69
latest reply

Not sure what you're saying? They were not double charging him. He didn't have enough in his PP account, so the backup source was automatically triggered. These were not multiple charges for which only one charge was valid. These were multiple ATTEMPTS to collect the ONE charge which failed repeatedly because he never put money in his account to cover it, even after seeing it had come through and had been returned NSF the first time.
Belle
Message 44 of 69
latest reply

What I'm asking is WHICH payment method he had picked for auto payment........because, believe it or not, eBay HAS been known to go to the wrong source (and not only for sellers)

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 45 of 69
latest reply