cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is this site changing the sold date after an invoice reminder is sent?

Item sold 4 days ago, trying to close it as non pay but today the sale date on the Awaiting Payment page changed to 2 days ago while when you click on the listing, it shows the actual sale date being 4 days ago.

I can't close it as non pay because on the Awaiting Payment page after I go to cancel the sale, it says the sale was done 2 days ago. Is this a glitch tied to sending an invoice to the buyer and the system then thinks after you send an invoice that that is the new sale date now?

The weird part is that the actual listing does show the correct sale date.

Anyone else having this issue?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Why is this site changing the sold date after an invoice reminder is sent?

slippinjimmy that's ridiculous. I've sent invoices for years and it's idiotic that ebay would change this system.  There is no need for ebay to hold my hand in regards to payments. This needs to be changed ASAP.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

This is the most absurd self-inflicted problem on eBay's part. I did the same thing, sent an invoice as a reminder to a buyer as we were approaching the 4th day without payment. Obviously, if I'm doing that it's not my intention to give the buyer another four days to make payment; rather, it's simply an extra nudge to pay up.  So now I just got off the phone with an eBay rep who told me the only way to cancel the unpaid order at this point is to (inaccurately) choose another cancellation reason, like "wrong shipping address." Can't believe the company's policy is to suggest that sellers basically lie as a work-around for its technical flaw.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

Too many changes are made on this site simply for the sake of change.    It improves nothing.

Simplifies nothing.   Does nothing to make things easier or faster.

This change was quite obviously suggested by,  and decided on by ebay employees

that have never sold on this site or used it as a paying customer.   

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

The problem stems from working inside a corporate structure. Too many employees have to be on a task or working on something to justify their paychecks or they get bored and leave to another company. See it way too many times in the corporate world. Changes just to keep the employees working and changes that are done just to give them assignments. I used to be a manager of such a group and we would create problems just to keep busy because at times there was nothing to do. Not knocking this site but its the corporate world structure that leads to changes like this.

I'm down to extend the invoice to a customer if they ask us, but the site should give us an option, a prompt like: Do you want to tell your buyer you will extend the invoice deadline 4 more days? Yes or No. Not just make it automatic and expect us to learn via the message forums that it got changed.

Oh well.

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

I am too. It makes sense since I have buyers winning auctions and then not paying.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

IT appears every time you send an invoice it resets the sold date to the date the latest invoice was sent. absolutely 100% the most ridiculous thing. i am leaving on vacation in a few days and i have some items i need to cancel as non payment but i freaking cant because of this issue. and if you cancel an item thats not a non payment, the buyer can still leave you a negative feedback. so in the future, stop resending invoices. thats the only way to rectify the stupidity. 

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

correct. so ebay wants nothing to do with sellers reminding their buyers to pay for items by sending another invoice. way to go ebay. another genius decision by somebody at ebay that has absolutely no clue what they are doing. been on here since 1998 and it just keeps getting dumber and dumber.  

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

I am in the exact same situation and it's infuriatingly silly.  I need to cancel the order. I have sent reminders to to the "buyer" who has failed to respond. My item is now supposedly sold even though its actually not. I will have to re-list it and inform potential buyers that it was in fact not sold earlier due to a "dog in the manger" rogue ebayer. Worse still,  the original listing was on an eBay offer of 80% off selling fees. When re-listed that offer will not be re-applied (it never is on a re-listing). E bay is shooting itself in the foot with this silly mistake on its part.  If I want to cancel the order now the only way to do so is to lie and say the buyer sent the wrong address etc.  I won't be re-listing it. Way to go Ebay!

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Maybe EBay thinks truth does not matter anymore? I am in exactly the same situation. And I'm not going to lie just because of some robotic infuriatingly inefficient silliness. 

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

Exactly. The only reason I sent an invoice is because the buyer failed to pay and failed to respond to any polite requests to pay and not least because eBay had it as my next option to deal with / contact the rogue failure to pay eBayer for his failure to pay. Then next thing you know ebay says the violin was "sold" yesterday when in fact it was "sold" over 5 days ago! Now I can't officially cancel the "sale" for several more days.  Is it eBay's intention not to make money?

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Yep its the consequences of the work of the dunderheaded tick box "Cult Of Managerialism" . I expect the dullard who implemented this nonsense will be promoted and then in turn employ more non-threatening dunderheads to act likewise.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that eBay intended it to work that way as I think that it’s been like ever since they went to the new unpaid item system 

It was in effect long before the new unpaid cancellation process.  Years.  

and sending an invoice should rest the clock.  The only reason a seller should send an invoice is if there is a change in the total price.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

I have sent invoices on Day 5 without response and then cancelled the transaction for nonpayment on the 6th - is this thread saying if I send the invoice as a reminder I now have to wait until day 11 of nonpayment to cancel?

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

I'm also here from a search because I sent an invoice on the 3rd day to the buyer for an UPI, now I have to wait longer to appropriately cancel and relist? So frustrating. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

I agree!  This is crazy!  

Message 30 of 30
latest reply