cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no end date on fixed listings?

Yes I know the fixed listings AUTO renew which I personally hate!  But  I still think fixed listings should have a time/date expire clock that might help push buyers along to PULL the trigger in a purchase.  Does eBay let watchers know the Item is getting close to day 30?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why is there no end date on fixed listings?

Welllllll... technically they do expire.

Then they automatically renew.

And items on a Watch List do show a countdown to expiry, even when they are going to automatically renew.

You can make it your practice to review your listings and manually close any that are about to automatically renew.

With 13  listings this shouldn't be onerous.  You could do it daily or weekly.

Then when you do relist-- even if it is minutes later-- use Sell Similar which apparently tells the algorithm that this is a brand new listing, even if you don't change anything.

I do this about once  a month and making changes, mostly Best Offers to Viewers or changing PL listings, takes about 10 minutes or less for a 25 item page.

Generally though, Watchers Watch, Viewers View.

Any Watched or Viewed item is one that someone did not buy.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Go to your seller hub and click "active listings".

It will show YOU how much time is remaining but not the public.

It's kind of irrelevant for the public to see the end date because the listing will automatically renew.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@she-sells wrote: ...  I still think fixed listings should have a time/date expire clock that might help push buyers along to PULL the trigger in a purchase.  Does eBay let watchers know the Item is getting close to day 30?

No; why would they?  All fixed price listings are in "Good until canceled" format.  They automatically renew every month on the same date that they started; a listing that you set up today will automatically renew on January 21, February 21, March 21, etc.  There is no significance to "getting close to day 30".  A listing ends when it's sold out or when the seller cancels it.  Start date, day 30, and rollover date really don't matter from a buyer's perspective.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@she-sells wrote:

Yes I know the fixed listings AUTO renew which I personally hate!  But  I still think fixed listings should have a time/date expire clock that might help push buyers along to PULL the trigger in a purchase. 

There already is an incentive to push buyers to pull the trigger on a purchase of BIN items: the chance that someone else might buy it while they're sitting around deciding whether they want it or not.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Do you actually WANT to have to renew all your BIN listings every month?

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

A seller with 13 listings has very different needs than a seller with hundreds or thousands of listings.

A seller with 13 listings is not likely to get a buyer to pull the trigger by other than the quality of the item, the quality of the listing and the price.   The chances of little competition are low.

It is a rare seller who can list only a few items and get significant sell through and make a profit on every sale.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

On the seller's hub, it shows the number of listings ending "today". If you click on that field, you can end any specific listing you don't want to have renewed.  Easy peasy.  In general, I like end listings that have no watchers or views and (as suggested above) use the sell similar feature to make them active again at some future date if I think they are worth relisting. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@she-sells wrote:

Yes I know the fixed listings AUTO renew which I personally hate!  But  I still think fixed listings should have a time/date expire clock that might help push buyers along to PULL the trigger in a purchase.  Does eBay let watchers know the Item is getting close to day 30?

Not sure why any seller would want to advertise that an item hasn’t sold in at least thirty days.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Yeah I do that but if you miss the last day by chance because some of us have lives it does the auto relist. Would have been easier to have a selection DO NOT RESUSCITATE but I guess the folks at Ebay still dont get it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

not useful but I understand a big seller liking the auto relist..  Still an option would be nice for all us smaller sellers

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

NO  If seasons change I might want some items to die off

Message 12 of 12
latest reply