cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why eBay will loose me as a seller

I am seriosly considering whether eBay ios the right platform for me to sell my products. I sell for about $50k a year. ie ebay is making about $5k from me. 

I have recently had a buyer who opened a return case against me as he claimed that the item arrived "damaged". He provided photos of the socalled damages. The damaged relates to a security feauture of the product and marks left from a moulding process. Both are clearly described on the manufacturer's website and are not damages. However, ebay decided to side with the buyer and considered the product a damaged product.

Lesson learned. Need to ensure that instead of having short and consise listing descriptions I need to have very long and complicated listing descriptions with terms of purchases where I bacially  set out terms and conditions against as much as possible feasible.

As the same time, I will start looking for other venues to sell my products

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Why eBay will loose me as a seller

I checked out about 15 of your listings for the most part you have no description.

You say things like Please refer to the description and pictures of the actual Comic. Any questions let me know before buying.

That is NOT a description. You need to describe your items as if you were speaking to a blind man.
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I think you're hugely overreacting. Sales on Ebay are not going to be perfect and sellers need to accept that. Longer blathering listings turn buyers away or they choose not to read them anyway.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

@pokascomics wrote:

but point taken - from our on will extend my listing description by about 2000 words to ensure that I covered across the board

This brought another question to mind.  In the not too distant past I recall ebay announced that descriptions would be limited to so many characters or be truncated at their discretion.  They said even spaces between the lines would count in the total. 

At that time I drastically cut my descriptions back, but now I wonder.  It seems ebay must have abandoned this because I see long descriptions and even longer TOS that seem to have no limits.  Did this proposal die on the vine?

That is referring to the part of the description that is visible on the app, before the clickthru to view the entire description.  Entire descriptions are still there if you click the view entire description (or whatever it says) link.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pokascomicswrote:

nope and my mistake as I would have thought that a mark which is present on every single item of this kind and is a natural part of the product the buyer should be aware of as it is a specialty product.

but point taken - from our on will extend my listing description by about 2000 words to ensure that I covered across the board

For some reason, you will always have some uninformed buyers 

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

need to have very long and complicated listing descriptions with terms of purchases where I bacially  set out terms and conditions

Including additional detail describing features of a product that might be interpreted as a flaw might be a very good idea to help reduce user confusion.

But including terms and conditions in an attempt to avoid SNAD claims (legitimate or fraudulent) will have not have much effect on a buyer's ability to file a claim and win.

I am seriosly considering whether eBay ios the right platform for me to sell my products.

IMHO all sellers should be constantly evaluating whether eBay is the right platform for their items, their business practices and their business model. That is just common sense - because eBay is not going to be a good fit for everyone.

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@pokascomicswrote:

nope and my mistake as I would have thought that a mark which is present on every single item of this kind and is a natural part of the product the buyer should be aware of as it is a specialty product.

Well when you don't actually include a description, buyers can't help being uninformed.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

I will never sell on eBay, it's a criminal enterprise. The HONEST seller with excellent feedback gets screwed most of the time in cases brought against them.

Besides, do you really want a decision made by someone who works for eBay in a third world country who is marginal in brain power.

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

Let me know when you find one I'm looking too.

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cherrlawle_0wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@pokascomicswrote:

Well when you don't actually include a description, buyers can't help being uninformed.

Then there in lies the problem, if a description is not included why would you still buy? Or at least send seller a question??

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Since you would never sell on Ebay - how do you know all these sellers are honest? The reason we have MBG policy is because of these "honest sellers". There are good and bad on both sides - but the forums attract those that have problems with these bad sellers and buyers as is expected.

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

The HONEST seller with excellent feedback gets screwed most of the time in cases brought against them.

Absolutely. But I suspect that the majority of sellers on eBay do not a significant issue with fraud.

Besides, do you really want a decision made by someone who works for eBay in a third world country who is marginal in brain power.

Those decisions are not made by eBay employees - they are made by a computer. You are flattering yourself if you think eBay cared enough to pay an employee to look at your dispute.

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

@Anonymouswrote:

@cherrlawle_0wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@pokascomicswrote:

Then there in lies the problem, if a description is not included why would you still buy? Or at least send seller a question??

Buyers shouldn't have to ask questions due to lack of description.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

I need to have very long and co I need to have very long and complicated listing descriptions with terms of purchasesmplicated listing descriptions with terms of purchases

None of that will help you.  Some minute % of buyers everywhere experience remorse and return items as "not as described" to make the seller pay return shipping.  That's a normal business expense whose cost should be incorporated into item price.  The rule is simple:  The buyer says the item is SNAD?  The item is SNAD.

What you need to internalize is that eBay's MBG is the reason why buyers trust buying ON EBAY, not any individual seller.  Buyer protection, eBay brand protection, eBay MBG, and a global market are the components that set eBay apart from the rest of the pack.  eBay expects sellers to respect those goals and to participate by adhering to eBay's rules.

eBay's expectation is that  - all sellers -- but particularly a seller such as yourself who sells in volume and has acquired business acumen -- will accept all returns in the normal course of doing business, and that sellers know how to write down profit with expenses.

Read the automatic returns process to understand eBay's motivation and expectations.  I expect it's going to get messy when sellers are suspended for their rates of return as eBay's money flies out the door on "partial returns", but that's a whole different ballgame at this point...

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 28 of 33
latest reply

@cherrlawle_0wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@cherrlawle_0wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@pokascomicswrote:

Buyers shouldn't have to ask questions due to lack of description.

Buyers also shouldn't buy something if they don't know what it is.

How does a buyer even find a thing that they don't understand what it is?

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Where does the buyer have to return the damaged item to? Hong Kong or USA?

Message 30 of 33
latest reply