cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay sneak chbuckeck "BEST OFFER" especially since I do not want to use it?

I know to double check allowing *best offer* since ebay seems to sneak that in here and there, but why is eBay doing that? Is eBay trying to make a quick buck off of sellers who are unaware of the best offer on their listings? Very deceiving on eBay's part for the unware seller.

I have placed offers to sellers that have *best offer* only to find out they were unaware of that and had no interest in taking offers. So, why is eBay using that option as a default in some listings to catch sellers off guard?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Why does eBay sneak chbuckeck "BEST OFFER" especially since I do not want to use it?

Meant: sneak pre-check * best offer* in some of the listings?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay sneak chbuckeck "BEST OFFER" especially since I do not want to use it?

Chbuckeck is beautiful in the springtime.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

sneak pre-check * best offer* in some of the listings?

@my_boston_baked_beans 

eBay has been know to add the "best offer" feature to listings (even if the seller did not select it).  If I recall correctly, at first it was only a function of sellers who listed with the app, then the "short form".  Sellers that discovered it, and revised to remove the best offer feature found that eBay put it right back there anyway.  

I did NOT know that eBay was still doing it!!!  You have only ONE listing with the Best Offer feature now, but you require a buyer to put up a payment source first for the new eBay induced "auto-pay" so I wouldn't worry about it, unless they start adding it to more of your listings. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Strange Why would they only do it to some people? We have never had it happened to us.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thank you, and will fix that one

Happy Holidays!

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I thick the OP meant "chicken bucket"

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I  have no idea that is why I asked, but I am sure it is to make money any way eBay can. Thankfully, the seller can reject the offer not getting an amount that is unacceptable for them.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I've had that happen a few times years ago.

You just have to be careful and double check all your listings.

After I "fixed" them they never came back.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Strange Why would they only do it to some people? We have never had it happened to us.

@dnasilver 

It was a while back, and was surprised to see that according to the OP it was still going on.  If I recall correctly, it was targeted often to "newbies" to 'help them sell'.   Mostly it was just annoying to sellers.  Later it was a function of the "quick listing tool" where it was auto added because there was no "selection" not to do so.  It the last year or so, it appears to be a function of 'sell similar' or 'sell one like this' where THAT particular listing used best offer and it was automatically added for the new product listing. 

Again, I have not read any complaints about eBay adding it on their own for a long time, and was surprised to see it mentioned here today. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@dnasilver wrote:

Never had it happen here either.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I  have been here for years, but seems to happen on NEW listings for me. Almost evertime I start a NEW listing the area for *Best Offer* is in blue meaning I except offers when I do not. I can only concur this is a deliberate eBay action. Of course, I can decline an offer, or edit *best offers* but why should I have to discourage buyers and make more work for myself?

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Are you checking on the listing form when you list new items to be sure it isn’t selected?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply