cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay continue to make things more difficult for sellers and what can we do about it?

It seems that every week or so we get a new email from eBay making changes which make it more difficult to list and sell items on eBay.  Doesn't eBay already make enough money from us, the sellers, without adding extra restrictions, changes, requirements and payment calculation methods?  

Managed payments seem to be great for eBay, but not for sellers.  Sometimes, sales are 'processing' for days, without payment to the seller.  Why does eBay get to keep money for sales for days before remitting to the seller?

The new selling format is difficult to navigate and understand.  After complaints, it seems that eBay has added back some of the old seller view, but without some of the old navigational views and capabilities.

I have made a lot of money for eBay, but I feel like eBay doesn't value me.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why does eBay continue to make things more difficult for sellers and what can we do about it?

Not only days to process, but Ebay takes their money when the item is sold. Before it's even  paid for.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay continue to make things more difficult for sellers and what can we do about it?

@tourn18 wrote:

Not only days to process, but Ebay takes their money when the item is sold. Before it's even  paid for.

They take their fees out when the buyer pays, not before. You may be thinking of how it worked before Managed Payments.

This is thread from 2021.

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Up from the dead it rises!

Another zombie thread!

WahHoo!

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@lowcostsales2014 wrote:

Ebay should look at amazon's stock price then cry a what could have been had they just spent BILLIONS on warehouses, inventory, employees & setting up their own delivery service!

18 months later....how is that Amazon stock doing? It's down over 50% in the last year!

How are all those warehouses, trucks and airplanes that Amazon invested in? Well, they are desperately looking for anyone to make use of their fulfillment and shipping services because right now they are nowhere near using the capacity they thought they would need and that's costing them BILLIONS of Dollars every year.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

I sold 1 item in my whole life on ebay. the sale took about a years time. after I sold the item, ebay came calling to collect a fee. i paid the fee to ebay from my credit card as my buyer bought the equipment for cash money. 

i have never listed another item until today and i am at a loss to understand how in the sam hell to do it.  cannot get past the name of the item that i wish to sell.  the process is greek to this old grey haired farm boy. i sent them a message and am waiting for an answer. selling on ebay seems to be to complicated for the old dogs like me with tons of stuff to sell. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Never needed  ebay to be  cheap copy of  amazon   . They can't catch up  to them  since  eBay as Auction  listing's  that  number of  sellers  use   a long with motors   section  and  the BIN .   several years ago  on  this board   there  was a thread   started  by a seller   asking  if  ebay could catch up  to   amazon  way . the Op was told no by 2 board mod's  and several posters  . that Op was told ebay would have to completely shut down  and have the software removed   and  reload new soft wear  with BIN  no auctions ,Motors  removed gone .  It would have cost eBay Millions  of dollars to start up from scrach  and member resigning  back up..     

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@lowcostsales2014 wrote:

Ebay should look at amazon's stock price then cry a what could have been had they just spent BILLIONS on warehouses, inventory, employees & setting up their own delivery service!

18 months later....how is that Amazon stock doing? It's down over 50% in the last year!

How are all those warehouses, trucks and airplanes that Amazon invested in? Well, they are desperately looking for anyone to make use of their fulfillment and shipping services because right now they are nowhere near using the capacity they thought they would need and that's costing them BILLIONS of Dollars every year.

You may want to recheck the Amazon stock price. Amazon builds for future growth potential and to stay ahead of the curve. Both eBay and Amazon started out about the same time but eBay was bit more diverse in their business and Amazon was basically just an online book store. EBay has pretty much maintained it's business line but it has gotten to the point where you cannot even compare eBay and Amazon these days. Amazon's stock price for the last year and since inception. I only wish I had purchased more than the 10 initial shares of Amazon at IPO.  

dbfolks166mt_0-1700029797332.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1700029876172.png

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

There is an old saying in business. Innovate or die. Change is inevitable and required if not we would all still be living in caves and wearing animal skins. What I have noticed with eBay is they often implement changes without considering the impacts as well as the benefits. The new autopay for OBO and auctions is probably the latest example. While it will fix the non-payment issue sellers have screamed about for years it also comes with some adverse impacts that both buyers and sellers are complaining about. 

EIS was/is another great example. While the seller protections are beyond belief the program has a LOT of restrictions on what it will ship, package sizes, weight limits and there is the issue with combined shipping which eBay is supposed to be fixing. 

EBay is also the middle person being between the sellers and the buyers so they get pressure from both sides and at the same time have to meet their only primary function which is to maximize their value to their shareholders. Not an easy position to be in. 

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@patrancus wrote:

I sold 1 item in my whole life on ebay. the sale took about a years time. after I sold the item, ebay came calling to collect a fee. i paid the fee to ebay from my credit card as my buyer bought the equipment for cash money. 

i have never listed another item until today and i am at a loss to understand how in the sam hell to do it.  cannot get past the name of the item that i wish to sell.  the process is greek to this old grey haired farm boy. i sent them a message and am waiting for an answer. selling on ebay seems to be to complicated for the old dogs like me with tons of stuff to sell. 

Hi @patrancus 

Have you signed up for Managed Payments? (PayPal no longer is the payment provider for eBay.) That might be the issue.

Below is more info on the subject. Good luck!!

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/payments-and-fees/payments-and-earnings

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:
@lowcostsales2014 wrote:

You may want to recheck the Amazon stock price. Amazon builds for future growth potential and to stay ahead of the curve. Both eBay and Amazon started out about the same time but eBay was bit more diverse in their business and Amazon was basically just an online book store. EBay has pretty much maintained it's business line but it has gotten to the point where you cannot even compare eBay and Amazon these days. Amazon's stock price for the last year and since inception. I only wish I had purchased more than the 10 initial shares of Amazon at IPO.  

dbfolks166mt_0-1700029797332.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1700029876172.png

Not to be snarky but you might want to look at the date of my post, 11 months ago it was accurate.

No problem, you are not the only one to get caught following a pointless reactivation of this thread by @patrancus

I got fooled into posting to a six month old post and that post was a reactivation  of an original post that was 6 months old.

It's one of those THREADS THAT WILL NOT DIE.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I'm wondering if one of eBay's biggest problems is too many 'old' sellers and not enough new blood who can adapt to change. This too many 'old' sellers includes me, you bet - 22 years here? Too long. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply