cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay allow such a long time to elapse to allow buyers to stall paying for an item?

It's enormously disruptive to accept a buyer's offer, end an auction early, then have them try to negotiate the price after the fact. And then you have to wait days until starting an UID, then that takes days or even weeks to resolve, I don't know the exact times but whatever it is it's way too long. I can't think of a scenario where sellers should be held hostage to buyers ponying up like this for days and days. It should be like 12 or 24 hours and then the buyer's card is automatically charged or an UID dispute resolved in the seller's favor, allowing them to relist without paying cancellation fees. If it's a weekend- well, figure it out, you charge the card and it goes through on Monday, or the UID is resolved and the sale is cancelled.

And of course, buyers can't get negative feedback, strikes don't show up to sellers so 'buyers' can scam and disrupt multiple sellers before getting booted, and can easily make new accounts if they do get strikes. 

Yet another way in which eBay is a bad platform for sellers yet people keep listing with them because they have a monopoly on selling big-ticket items to a national audience, and by virtue of being the first mover in the peer-to-peer selling space, they have incumbent advantage that no one (yet) has bothered to challenge.

Maybe when Facebook decides to turn FB Marketplace into a real eBay competitor we'll start seeing some of these ridiculous policies change.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Why does eBay allow such a long time to elapse to allow buyers to stall paying for an item?

I stop doing auctions about 3 years ago.  I stop using "Best Offer" over 2 years ago.  And don't miss either of them.  If I send an offer, and some one accepts, if they don't pay within 4 days I cancel the order and add this amazing person to my bbl. 

Good luck on your selling journey.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay allow such a long time to elapse to allow buyers to stall paying for an item?

@salticid wrote:

It's enormously disruptive to accept a buyer's offer, end an auction early, then have them try to negotiate the price after the fact. And then you have to wait days until starting an UID, then that takes days or even weeks to resolve ....

If a buyer doesn't pay within 4 full days (96 hours), you can cancel the transaction choosing 'Buyer didn't pay" as the reason, and move on with relisting or sending a Second Chance Offer.  The process does not take "days or weeks to resolve."  Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

If having to wait a few days for the payment is a problem, do away with auctions and best offer.

With auctions, you've already waited 7 days, what's a couple more days?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

More than 85% of eBay transactions are Fixed Price.

Many sellers add Immediate Payment Required leaving the FP listing active until someone actually pays for it.

Another sign that  auctions are disliked  by buyers (who are not bidding) and by sellers (who have noticed much higher numbers of UIDs  on auctions) .

Adding Best Offer to a FP listing means that the buyer, who may not be around when  the Offer is accepted has the same 96 hours to pay as an auction bidder.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Hi @salticid 

Good news!  eBay has reduced the time of what used to be a 2-step, 14-day process to complete an unpaid item dispute.  

It now is done by simply cancelling the transaction on Day 5 … using ‘Buyer hasn’t paid’ as the reason.  That puts a strike on the buyer’s account … and you’re free to relist the item immediately.

When you get truly tired of dealing with nonpayers … then you can stop using the listing format that produces most of them:  auctions.  

Instead, list as Buy It Now with Immediate Payment Required.  Your listing will remain active until someone actually pays.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Don't run auctions.  Don't ask for or accept offers.  Use Fixed Price, No Offers, Immediate Payment Required.  Do that, and a good 90% of your selling headaches will disappear.

-

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

lol

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

I don't care, 4 days is still too long. Especially when you've waited 7 days for the auction to nearly finish up, someone swoops in and makes a fake offer, now you have prospective buyers that have moved on while you have to start the whole process over.

Don't make excuses for eBay's bad policies.

By the way, I'm not an eBay lifer, this is from the perspective of a casual, occasional seller. I have already paid retail price for the products I sell, I'm not a volume seller, so no need to pretend like everybody should already know the ins and outs of being a pro eBay seller and the best balance of all possible tradeoffs. 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Exactly, I've already waited 7 days, counted on the auction being resolved, and now I have to wait 4 more days then another 7 to possibly sell the product. That's not ok.

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

lol, so you want to tell ebay what isn't acceptable......but don't want to listen to people who are trying to give you good advice.  No matter what you pay for anything........if you sell here, you are responsible for knowing the rules......and it's to your benefit to learn the ins/outs.....  but feel free to ignore all that.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

4 Days is good and then cancel.  Hopefully, you did not get the "family member died" scenario I got.  I was sympathetic to the buyer and allowed them more than 4 days to pay.  I got a promise from the buyer 3 times  in 3 days after that they would pay.  The buyer said they have a lot of family coming in for the funeral and has to make arrangements , etc.  I tried to give them more time, but in the end they promised to pay and on day 7 and 8 I said "Are you paying today? Thank you"  and then I got a reply from the buyer " Cut me a little slack, a family member of mine died"  Anyway, I finally had to cancel and relist. 

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@salticid wrote:

Exactly, I've already waited 7 days, counted on the auction being resolved, and now I have to wait 4 more days then another 7 to possibly sell the product. That's not ok.

Then the auction format is not a good choice for you.  Stick to fixed price, with Immediate Payment Required. Or as a halfway measure, run auctions for 5 days rather than 7.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@salticid wrote:

Do away with auctions and best offers.

List as a fixed price with immediate payment required.

The listing stays live until it's paid for.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I listened to the first person, who was helpful. The other people telling me how I should have known this or that, or are saying how it used to be worse so now it's fine, are not worth listening to.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply